Should my alarm "beep" when i lock the car

greenman986s

There is a cable attached to the original stereo cage, if you put in an aftermarket stereo you should cover the end of that cable otherwise it beeps. I think (but may be wrong) the cable is brown.

1 hour ago, 999mch said:

There is a cable attached to the original stereo cage, if you put in an aftermarket stereo you should cover the end of that cable otherwise it beeps. I think (but may be wrong) the cable is brown.

Yes, its brown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

Argh - that's what I thought

the previous installer hasn't done that 😒

These previous owners are a nightmare!

• Haha 1

There again, this one might be done to me..

it helps if i have the bonnet closed :)

That said, the previous installer does seem to have removed the amp feed turn on from the black plug that goes in the OEM HU, so no wonder the amp isnt turning on :(

Instead they powered the aftermarket HU with a fused supply direct from the battery - eek!

Edited by greenman986s

another simple solution - disconnect the alarm siren - no more beeps. i pretty much do it as a matter of course on old cars, the likelihood of a dodgy sensor causing the alarm to go off at 3am in the morning is far more likely than someone actually attempting to steal the car, IMO.

though i can verify, the alarm for disconnecting the battery is still very much active - the ringing in my ears has finally subsided after a few weeks...

• Haha 2