High Pressure Fuel Pump Gen2s

Gramps

A plea for a big favour?

Some of you may have seen my previous posts re the issue I'm having with, I heavily suspect, my High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) on my 2011 Boxster S.They are big money (well to me it's big money), cheapest I've found is £770 (eurospares, Design911 want £1047). I'm looking at possibly doing it myself, if not there'll be a few hundred quids worth of labour on top of that. So hence I want to be as certain as I can be on my diagnostics.   
Despite Googling high and low I've not found my answers so I'm hoping someone may be able to do me a big favour and provide the answers.
If left a few days my car takes approx what seems like 6 cranks to start and then when it does it is very lumpy, can also sometimes stall. I also occasionally get the "Reduced engine power" warning. If I turn it off (or it stalls) and I start it again, it may again run lumpy before smoothing itself out.
I have an iCarsoft POR 2 which can monitor the pressure in the high pressure fuel rail (HPFR) and as expected the engine runs lumpy till the pressure comes up. When cold it reads about 70psi, once it starts the pressure remains around that figure and the engine is very lumpy, once the pressure increases the engine will run smooth. So that all makes sense so far.
The crucial part I'm interested in is the pressure retained in the HPFR when the car has been left standing for a few days, is cold, and prior to starting/cranking, so just ignition on. Then I want to know as and when the pressure increases, does it increase as soon as the engine is cranked prior to actually firing? and if so to what pressure? Then once started what pressure is seen. Once it's run smooth I can restart strainght away with no issues as the HPFR retains a higher pressure (170psi?)
I've found on mine that once running smooth the pressure is roughly in line with the RPM, so about 1200psi dropping to 7-800 once the fast idle backs off. 
If you have an iCarsoft POR 2 the HPFR pressure monitor function is located as follows -
Ignition on, POR 2 plugged in - Select OBD11 - Monitor overview comes up - hit enter, it will then talk to the vehicle
Diagnostic Menu comes up, scroll down to Live Data and hit enter
View Data comes up - select "Custom Selected"
Scroll down about 5 pages (one line at a time) and you will come to Fuel Rail Pressure (gauge), hit enter (you can also select the engine RPM which is on the 2nd page I believe, if you want to see the corresponding rpm)
Once selected F2 will start the monitoring. So with just the ignition on you will see the pressure retained in the HPFR from the last time the car was run, so answer #1, what figure do you see?
If possible watch the pressure during cranking, does it increase immediately cranking starts (if so to what figure?)? or not till the engine fires? At which point are your figures similar to mine in that they roughly mirror the rpm?
I know it's a big ask but any help would be much appreciated.
Alternatively if you live anywhere near me, I'm in Orpington Kent, and you have the same model, I could maybe come to you and plug my iCarsoft in and see what happens.
The same HPFPs were fitted to gen2 Caymans of the same age, and also 997s and 981s, so any of those model variants will help. 
FYI, if you do have the iCarsoft and are not aware (I wasn't) there is also an option available on the F1 button which when monitoring will give you a live graph.
TIA if you can help at all.
Cheers....Rob (AKA Gramps)

Can't help re diagnosis but if the part we're talking about is 9A1 110 315 06 then that's about £750 from an OPC before discount.

No pun intended but don't discount an OPC before looking at third parties for these kind of things...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gramps said:

A plea for a big favour?

Some of you may have seen my previous posts re the issue I'm having with, I heavily suspect, my High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) on my 2011 Boxster S.They are big money (well to me it's big money), cheapest I've found is £770 (eurospares, Design911 want £1047). I'm looking at possibly doing it myself, if not there'll be a few hundred quids worth of labour on top of that. So hence I want to be as certain as I can be on my diagnostics.   
Despite Googling high and low I've not found my answers so I'm hoping someone may be able to do me a big favour and provide the answers.
If left a few days my car takes approx what seems like 6 cranks to start and then when it does it is very lumpy, can also sometimes stall. I also occasionally get the "Reduced engine power" warning. If I turn it off (or it stalls) and I start it again, it may again run lumpy before smoothing itself out.
I have an iCarsoft POR 2 which can monitor the pressure in the high pressure fuel rail (HPFR) and as expected the engine runs lumpy till the pressure comes up. When cold it reads about 70psi, once it starts the pressure remains around that figure and the engine is very lumpy, once the pressure increases the engine will run smooth. So that all makes sense so far.
The crucial part I'm interested in is the pressure retained in the HPFR when the car has been left standing for a few days, is cold, and prior to starting/cranking, so just ignition on. Then I want to know as and when the pressure increases, does it increase as soon as the engine is cranked prior to actually firing? and if so to what pressure? Then once started what pressure is seen. Once it's run smooth I can restart strainght away with no issues as the HPFR retains a higher pressure (170psi?)
I've found on mine that once running smooth the pressure is roughly in line with the RPM, so about 1200psi dropping to 7-800 once the fast idle backs off. 
If you have an iCarsoft POR 2 the HPFR pressure monitor function is located as follows -
Ignition on, POR 2 plugged in - Select OBD11 - Monitor overview comes up - hit enter, it will then talk to the vehicle
Diagnostic Menu comes up, scroll down to Live Data and hit enter
View Data comes up - select "Custom Selected"
Scroll down about 5 pages (one line at a time) and you will come to Fuel Rail Pressure (gauge), hit enter (you can also select the engine RPM which is on the 2nd page I believe, if you want to see the corresponding rpm)
Once selected F2 will start the monitoring. So with just the ignition on you will see the pressure retained in the HPFR from the last time the car was run, so answer #1, what figure do you see?
If possible watch the pressure during cranking, does it increase immediately cranking starts (if so to what figure?)? or not till the engine fires? At which point are your figures similar to mine in that they roughly mirror the rpm?
I know it's a big ask but any help would be much appreciated.
Alternatively if you live anywhere near me, I'm in Orpington Kent, and you have the same model, I could maybe come to you and plug my iCarsoft in and see what happens.
The same HPFPs were fitted to gen2 Caymans of the same age, and also 997s and 981s, so any of those model variants will help. 
FYI, if you do have the iCarsoft and are not aware (I wasn't) there is also an option available on the F1 button which when monitoring will give you a live graph.
TIA if you can help at all.
Cheers....Rob (AKA Gramps)

Rob.  I don’t have an icarsoft por2. It I do have the “all model” version which I think runs exactly the same software.  But.  It’s out on loan to someone at the moment so I can’t do a check and it’s probably best to take the comparison from the same or similar unit rather than interpret from PIWIS.  

so.  If nobody else is able to help you are welcome to come find me in Strood and we can run through it on my car (2011 987.2 S) 

we can do the “2 birds with one stone thing” and code your cruise at the same time (I think we takes about that before) 

let me know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Paul P said:

Rob.  I don’t have an icarsoft por2. It I do have the “all model” version which I think runs exactly the same software.  But.  It’s out on loan to someone at the moment so I can’t do a check and it’s probably best to take the comparison from the same or similar unit rather than interpret from PIWIS.  

so.  If nobody else is able to help you are welcome to come find me in Strood and we can run through it on my car (2011 987.2 S) 

we can do the “2 birds with one stone thing” and code your cruise at the same time (I think we takes about that before) 

let me know.  

Hello Paul. Thanks for the offer, that'd be ideal. I know you said last time you'd been busy of late, so as and when you have the time let me know and I'll pop over. I'm on 0790.... if it makes things easier. Cheers....Rob

20 hours ago, Gramps said:

Hello Paul. Thanks for the offer, that'd be ideal. I know you said last time you'd been busy of late, so as and when you have the time let me know and I'll pop over. I'm on 079..... if it makes things easier. Cheers....Rob

mailed you

1 hour ago, Crudeoink said:

If you're near to Oxford you're welcome to scan my car for the data you need 🙂

Hi @Crudeoink. Thanks for your offer, it's much appreciated. If Paul P wasn't such a helpful guy, and fortunately for me quite local, I would have enjoyed the scoot out to meet up and take you up on your offer.

I'm sure Paul will be able to provide all the answers to my many questions LOL. 

I'm of the same ilk as yourself, if anyone round my way (Orpington Kent) needs a hand whatever I'm always willing to do what I can.

Thanks again.

Cheers...Rob

20 hours ago, Gramps said:

Hello Paul. Thanks for the offer, that'd be ideal. I know you said last time you'd been busy of late, so as and when you have the time let me know and I'll pop over. I'm on 0790.... if it makes things easier. Cheers....Rob

@Gramps @Araf If you guys have finished then you might want to remove your mobile number from a public forum :) 

Edited by Araf
Good point. Removed telephone numbers.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

I have an iCarsoft module but my car is in the body shop right now. If it comes back before you have solved it I will have a look for you

Hi @Bike Loon. Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I should get the answers I'm after from Paul P 👍

1 hour ago, gillbe said:

This thread describes HPFP related issues on a 981 Cayman - maybe symptons similar to yours?

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/981-long-crank-times-cant-find-fuel-test-port-to-check-fuel-pressure.251372/page-2

Hi @gillbe. Thanks for that link, does sound very much like mine and the guy has posted a very handy fix-it guide, should be very similar on my gen 2 👍

22 hours ago, iborguk said:

Can't help re diagnosis but if the part we're talking about is 9A1 110 315 06 then that's about £750 from an OPC before discount.

No pun intended but don't discount an OPC before looking at third parties for these kind of things...

Hi @iborguk. Yes that is the part # and you're right I should try them. Does this Forum have a discount with any OPCs?

18 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Hi @iborguk. Yes that is the part # and you're right I should try them. Does this Forum have a discount with any OPCs?

Apparently ask for discount and you get 10%, no one asks for proof of Porsche Club membership. 

• Like 1