Off to see this 987.1 tomorrow any observations?

hopz121

Hi all,

I am off to see this car tomorrow and have agreed a price on it prior to going to look and it looks to tick most of my boxes.

Below is a link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166132661499?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zRGVh2T6QzW&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=_Aec-WaDRW-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have done a report on the car and its come back ok, the only weird thing is its come back with no data prior to 2012 which I find strange.  

Is it because maybe the car started its life in Ireland? Is this anything to worry about? 

Any other things to note on the car? 

Thanks 

Ash

It has been looked after by the latest guy, he bought the car from Mortimors.

Its had most of the big jobs done and seems to be tidy now (ill find out more tomorrow) its nice spec for a 2.7 as well

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Check AC works and for knocks and rattles in the suspension, report or not.

its had the coffin arms done last year and the whole AC system has been changed too but i will be checking for sure 100% thanks for the reply. 

Edited by hopz121

Just now, hopz121 said:

its had the coffin arms done last year and the whole AC system has been changed too :)

Good to know.  That's most of the immediate expenses out of the way.

Sticky buttons on heater controls. Not expensive to change, but a talking point with the vendor.

48 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

he only weird thing is its come back with no data prior to 2012 which I find strange.  

Is it because maybe the car started its life in Ireland?

No data at all I can't help with, though several corporate sellers seem to dump the history file and parrot things about "data protection".

The UK forces an MoT at 3 years old but EU law, as it was Ireland, says it only needs to be from 4 years and then every 2 years up to ?8. That's applying to Portuguese cars also. So there should be one MoT but not necessarily more before 2012.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

I have done a report on the car and its come back ok, the only weird thing is its come back with no data prior to 2012 which I find strange.  

Is it because maybe the car started its life in Ireland? Is this anything to worry about?

I shyate myself when I spotted the gap in my car's history but as you said it was because it spent its time in NI.
You can email the DVA and request a copy of all logs - dva.customerservices@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk
Not such a bad thing mind, my indy spotted that it was a NI car beacuse of the condition underneath. Apparently they dont use salt on the roads.
OPC Glasgow also commented on the condition underneath 😑

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hopz121 said:

It has been looked after by the latest guy, he bought the car from Mortimors.

Its had most of the big jobs done and seems to be tidy now (ill find out more tomorrow) its nice spec for a 2.7 as well

Looks cosmetically nice , good to hear last owner cared.

Another suggestion, check the coolant pipes have been done.

Good luck with the purchase.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Looks cosmetically nice , good to hear last owner cared.

Another suggestion, check the coolant pipes have been done.

Good luck with the purchase.

From the invoices I do have, a coolant pipe set was fitted in May 2016 at a cost of £175, the clutch (3 piece) was replaced at the same time at 52156 miles, but there is no record of the IMS bearing being replaced. However, I'm lead to believe 2.7s rarely require this modification, due to less stress on the engine than a 3.4 per se. I do not have an invoice for a replacement of the Brake 'hard' pipes, but it does look they have been replaced on all 4 corners and are treated with ACF 50.

That was his response to coolant pipes, ill check them tomorrow as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

£175 doesn't sound like the coolant pipes we discuss, which I thought were closer to a grand? Labour costs.

yeah i did think that ill check, i wasn't sure if that was just the part price on much bigger invoice maybe as clutch was done at the same time 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

£175 doesn't sound like the coolant pipes we discuss, which I thought were closer to a grand? Labour costs.

Could just be the fronts have been done re that part price. I'd also check to see if the cross-over pipes have been done (assuming that's the same on a Cayman as a Boxster).

same year my Boxster! my 2.7 is the later gen engine with the larger IMS bearing which I think all Caymans got but can't be sure

points from painful experience below

1. Ask about Coolant cross over pipes at the front, replaced?- check if they are crusty at the joints behind the front wheels, bank on £800-1000 when they leak as you'll have to do the whole lot to be sure and it's unlikely you can simply change one pipe without damaging the others in the process.  

2. check BACK of brake disk for corrosion - if not changed recently they can corrode badly on the back 

3. Does the AC actually work! look for debris in the front intakes as the rads can/will rot unless cleaned

4. check the exhaust for corroded bolts - just look under middle of the rear of the car you'll see them - they rot and crack and start blowing

5. Knocks on the suspension listen for a cluncking noise at the very least! very likely drop links or ARB bushes but can need more if never changed

6. look for any sign of oil under the engine. look under the car just in front of the rear wheels toward middle/back of the car with a torch, if there is it's likely RMS or IMS flange seal - gear box out job and can be very expensive and best to do a clutch change at the same time.

7. Check the brake pipes for corrosion - I mean it! mine were all in bad condition and I replaced the lot!

8. check the handbrake actually works!! people don't replace the lining and they are a cheap fix.

9 any history the water pump/belt/thermostat has been done? if not would recommend doing ASAP.

You did ask!

fantastic car when sorted but as I was told there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche....

2 minutes ago, Sword said:

same year my Boxster! my 2.7 is the later gen engine with the larger IMS bearing which I think all Caymans got but can't be sure

points from painful experience below

1. Ask about Coolant cross over pipes at the front, replaced?- check if they are crusty at the joints behind the front wheels, bank on £800-1000 when they leak as you'll have to do the whole lot to be sure and it's unlikely you can simply change one pipe without damaging the others in the process.  

2. check BACK of brake disk for corrosion - if not changed recently they can corrode badly on the back 

3. Does the AC actually work! look for debris in the front intakes as the rads can/will rot unless cleaned

4. check the exhaust for corroded bolts - just look under middle of the rear of the car you'll see them - they rot and crack and start blowing

5. Knocks on the suspension listen for a cluncking noise at the very least! very likely drop links or ARB bushes but can need more if never changed

6. look for any sign of oil under the engine. look under the car just in front of the rear wheels toward middle/back of the car with a torch, if there is it's likely RMS or IMS flange seal - gear box out job and can be very expensive and best to do a clutch change at the same time.

7. Check the brake pipes for corrosion - I mean it! mine were all in bad condition and I replaced the lot!

8. check the handbrake actually works!! people don't replace the lining and they are a cheap fix.

9 any history the water pump/belt/thermostat has been done? if not would recommend doing ASAP.

You did ask!

fantastic car when sorted but as I was told there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche....

Very helpful thanks mate 

Brakes were done by Mortimer’s before sale and most of the AC system too but I’ll be checking it all out.

Which side of the car is best to see coolant pipes? I assume if I turn the wheel I’ll be able to see the condition of them? 

14 minutes ago, ziggy said:

I hope your agreed price was 2/3K lower. Looks expensive to me for a 2.7.

Plus point - it's not black.

It’s pretty well spec’d for a 2.7 as well.

The current agreed price is significantly lower than the advertised price :) 

38 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

Very helpful thanks mate 

Brakes were done by Mortimer’s before sale and most of the AC system too but I’ll be checking it all out.

Which side of the car is best to see coolant pipes? I assume if I turn the wheel I’ll be able to see the condition of them? 

they're in the same place on either side. if you have the 5 spoke wheels as I do you can use a torch to see them. they're visible in the space between the calliper and the wheel above the steering rack. Otherwise wheel off I'm afraid

Hence check the intakes on the front for debris. The ac condensers and cooling rads are stacked on top of one another and when left as Porsche intended are a magnet for leaves, cigarette butts - you name it!

• Like 1