PCM3 Failure

PhillD

The PCM unit has suddenly stopped working, the fuse has blown and blows as soon as inserted. I guess the head unit has a problem, any recommendations for a repair please?? I'm located in North East England and would prefer not to post the unit if possible although I guess this may prove to be the only option? The unit was manufactured by Becker and I've had them repair an old unit previously which I sent to Germany with excellent service. It appears that the company had now been taken over and I can't get any response from the old contact details.

Any help welcomed.

Hi and welcome.

Is this a PCM 3.0 in a Boxster 987 Gen 2 ? 

Does the car have BOSE ? 

First guess is it it's the power supply in the PCM which has become faulty.

Removing the PCM and seeing if the fuse blows again will be a pretty good indicator it's related to the PCM itself.

Edited by iborguk

17 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hi and welcome.

Is this a PCM 3.0 in a Boxster 987 Gen 2 ? 

Does the car have BOSE ? 

First guess is it it's the power supply in the PCM which has become faulty.

Removing the PCM and seeing if the fuse blows again will be a pretty good indicator it's related to the PCM itself.

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes PCM 3.0 in Boxster 987 Gen 2 with no BOSE.

I've removed the unit and replacing the fuse results in no blown fuse. I agree it does appear to be the PCM that has the fault, as you say probably the internal power supply, hence question for a good repair man

• Like 1

Just now, PhillD said:

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes PCM 3.0 in Boxster 987 Gen 2 with no BOSE.

I've removed the unit and replacing the fuse results in no blown fuse. I agree it does appear to be the PCM that has the fault, as you say probably the internal power supply, hence question for a good repair man

Try Nick as above. Note he's based in the Channel Islands.

13 minutes ago, Paul P said:

https://www.pcmrepairs.co.uk/

are an option. I have never used them but every question I have ever asked them had the answer of “that’s about a grand mate”. 

ymmv 

That is Cartronics as well. So my experience mirrors yours. Plus they lied about the date they received the amp and took a week to get back to me with the extortionate quote

2 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

That is Cartronics as well. So my experience mirrors yours. Plus they lied about the date they received the amp and took a week to get back to me with the extortionate quote

Yes - different website - same phone number.... maybe pick up a unit from ebay and swap parts - or find a local "electronics repair place" - power supplies aren't unique - hard to find a local "man / woman in a shed" who can just "have a look"

49 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

I sent a 987.2 amp to them and they quoted me £800 to fix it 😆

Mine had a failed internal power supply and was about £350 to fix if I remember correctly. 

Porsche tax! :)

I wanted to keep mine original though rather than an aftermarket unit. Still not a patch on my Audioline head unit with 3 band equaliser that you could pull out for security ;p

19 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I wanted to keep mine original though rather than an aftermarket unit. Still not a patch on my Audioline head unit with 3 band equaliser that you could pull out for security 😜

I had a Nova GTE with an immobiliser , half of which was a PCB which I carried on a key ring. Someone worked out you could cut a spud in half and jam it into where the PCB went into and tada , you could start the car !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

I had a Nova GTE with an immobiliser , half of which was a PCB which I carried on a key ring. Someone worked out you could cut a spud in half and jam it into where the PCB went into and tada , you could start the car !

Brother had a granada as a company car - late 80's early 90's - was called into a factory near Liverpool as interim Site Manager  - managed to lock his keys in his car. Was about to smash the window to retrieve when a guy from the stores department spotted him, called an apprentice over and had a quiet word. 10 mins later - apprentice is back with half a tennis ball - placed over the door lock and thumped a couple of times - doors opened.

Had a T plate (1978?) Mk4 Cortina. Mum locked the keys in at work.  Someone said “try to open it with another key”. It opened with the key from someone’s Mini. Not even a Ford. 

If/when my PCM2.1 goes, I’m going for a CarPlay aftermarket. Just about to fit a Mr12Volt magic box to sort me until then. 

13 hours ago, iborguk said:

. Someone worked out you could cut a spud in half and jam it into where the PCB went into and tada , you could start the car !

How the hell did they even begin to think of that one! 😉

• 3 weeks later...