Hood Elastic - Recommendations for repair (London)

dpg123

Happy Friday All!

So the drivers side elastic on my hood has given up. Putting the hood up it no longer (always) pulls the hood into the channel of the frame above the rear end of the door. No biggie (just use your hand) but I want this repaired.

Living in great fear of my amazing mother-in-law who could probably do this if I could somehow tell her how, can anyone recommend a trimmer or hood repairer in London that might be able to save me from asking her?

Thanks!

YouTube is worth a look for this and a search on here. There are a few moving parts but the edge not seating is probably caused by a short piece of elastic not tensioning properly, so as the roof closes, it effectively spreads wider than the guiDE channels. I sorted it relatively easy on my old 987

Thats the half ar*ed method. 

If you want to do it properly, loosen the torx bolt that holds the elastic to the frame, you do not have to wind it out altogether. Loosening it means you can pop the existing elastic off. Then cut it off where it joins the "oddly shaped fabric" as he calls it. Attach a new piece of button elastic with the holes in and then hook it over the torx bolt with a decent amount of tension but not too tight. Wind the torx bolt in and test. If it is still closing outside the frame, loosen the torx bolt again and move the button elastic up one more hole.

23 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Thats the half ar*ed method. 

If you want to do it properly, loosen the torx bolt that holds the elastic to the frame, you do not have to wind it out altogether. Loosening it means you can pop the existing elastic off. Then cut it off where it joins the "oddly shaped fabric" as he calls it. Attach a new piece of button elastic with the holes in and then hook it over the torx bolt with a decent amount of tension but not too tight. Wind the torx bolt in and test. If it is still closing outside the frame, loosen the torx bolt again and move the button elastic up one more hole.

And if you do have to loosen the torx ( t15 iirc) stick a towel under the area when doing it, in case you go too far loosening and drop it (yeah don’t do that)…

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1