Sun visor is drooping

mat1

understand its a fairly common problem... mine both do this, somewhat annoying. i understand one solution is simply to disassemble, and wrap something like some plumbers tape round the spindle so its got a slightly larger diameter and thus a bit more friction to stop the droop. 

alternatively, i'm considering removing them altogether for a cleaner look...

I don't think that the 987 visors can be dissasembled. I tried the 986 fix for mine but I could not get it apart.

What I noticed is that there is that the spindle is not supposed to spin in the visor but the droop is caused by play.

What I did, was get a panel pin and drive it between the spindle and the visor to take up the play. Then I cut off the excess with a jnr hacksaw. It worked very well and is an invisible fix.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brillomaster said:

understand its a fairly common problem... mine both do this, somewhat annoying. i understand one solution is simply to disassemble, and wrap something like some plumbers tape round the spindle so its got a slightly larger diameter and thus a bit more friction to stop the droop. 

alternatively, i'm considering removing them altogether for a cleaner look...

I have seen on another car, someone had strategically placed a small piece of velcro to the visor and the header rail - so it helped hold it in place - but that was black velcro on a black interior so didn't stand out too much - not very 'Porsche' though

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brillomaster said:

i understand one solution is simply to disassemble, and wrap something like some plumbers tape round the spindle so its got a slightly larger diameter and thus a bit more friction to stop the droop.

This is the solution I applied (PTFE tape) and can confirm it works. I don't think the pin is really designed to pull out though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 9:37 AM, eob said:

I don't think that the 987 visors can be dissasembled. I tried the 986 fix for mine but I could not get it apart.

What I noticed is that there is that the spindle is not supposed to spin in the visor but the droop is caused by play.

What I did, was get a panel pin and drive it between the spindle and the visor to take up the play. Then I cut off the excess with a jnr hacksaw. It worked very well and is an invisible fix.

Sounds doable!