Potential purchase Macan

Graham BGTS

Are you looking at OPC or dealer or private sales?

Usual things to look for are Transferbox and Timing cover oil leaks on the Gen1 GTS. The Gen2 still has proper buttons unlike the Gen3 touch cr@p but a bigger screen than the Gen1. Is the Gen2 S the 2.9litre Audi engine rather than the 3.0v6 Porsche engine?

Pan roof is great, but check for any signs of water leaks inside on the A pillars and in the boot, and regularly check it still drains correctly as it can get expensive if blocked. Check rubber seals around the glass too as they can easily be torn if something like a twig was wedged in there when someone opened it.

Gen2 has rear camera washer, very handy but is highly prone to leak further up the pipe and fill the boot with water every time you wash the rear screen. Gen1 has no rear washer (or mine doesn't anyway)

Heated steering wheel is nice if you have the carbon wheel option

Gen2 changed from 2year/20k servicing to needing an oil change every 1yr/10k and other service items still at 2yr/20k as my mate has just found out. So if OPC purchase then factor that cost in. 

If going black wheels check for bubbling and corrosion around the centre caps, mine was horrendous but I never noticed it until I got home but luckily the OPC paid for a refurb for me.

Edited by CMA
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Graham BGTS said:

Hi All, Looking to purchase a Macan and it’s either a Gen 1 GTS or Gen 2 S - any thoughts? I think I’ve decided air susp isn’t necessary but defo need the pan roof. 
Advice appreciated. 
Graham

PM me for any questions/advice I have had a couple and one keeper👍

All good info although to be absolutely correct it is the occasional timing chain cover bolt that is a potential risk not cam cover.

On a Gen1 that should have reared its ugly head by now if it were to happen and isn't that prevalent.

According to my OPC it can also now be done in situ.

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Are you looking at OPC or dealer or private sales?

Usual things to look for are Transferbox and Cam cover oil leaks on the Gen1 GTS. The Gen2 still has proper buttons unlike the Gen3 touch cr@p but a bigger screen than the Gen1. Is the Gen2 S the 2.9litre Audi engine rather than the 3.0v6 Porsche engine?

Pan roof is great, but check for any signs of water leaks inside on the A pillars and in the boot, and regularly check it still drains correctly as it can get expensive if blocked. Check rubber seals around the glass too as they can easily be torn if something like a twig was wedged in there when someone opened it.

Gen2 has rear camera washer, very handy but is highly prone to leak further up the pipe and fill the boot with water every time you wash the rear screen. Gen1 has no rear washer (or mine doesn't anyway)

Heated steering wheel is nice if you have the carbon wheel option

Gen2 changed from 2year/20k servicing to needing an oil change every 1yr/10k and other service items still at 2yr/20k as my mate has just found out. So if OPC purchase then factor that cost in. 

If going black wheels check for bubbling and corrosion around the centre caps, mine was horrendous but I never noticed it until I got home but luckily the OPC paid for a refurb for me.

7 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

All good info although to be absolutely correct it is the occasional timing chain cover bolt that is a potential risk not cam cover.

On a Gen1 that should have reared its ugly head by now if it were to happen and isn't that prevalent.

According to my OPC it can also now be done in situ.

Correct, timing cover, I was typing too quick. Edited the original. I heard it can be done in situ if the bolts play nicely coming out.

I've had my Gen1 GTS almost 2 years now. Not a single issue to date. I just try not to look at the consumption figures very often :D 

Edited by CMA

Our Gen 2 Macan GTS has had the rear camera leak thing, fixed under warranty. More recently an annoying thing is the chrome trim from the window switches have popped off, again a warranty fix (1 done, 3 more scheduled to fix in 2 weeks).  Otherwise perfect, and brilliant

Overall, a Macan is awesome.  The Gen 2 infotainment is significantly improved than Gen 1, but the car under the covers is the same really. 
Also agree on @CMA Heated steering wheel is great for UK winters... and an inexpensive option on Gen2. Heated windscreen also one I'd look for.  The Gen 2 light bar at the back makes for a more modern look too

I couldn't recommend these things enough. I've had a 2.0 as a loaner and it's worth a look and a great allrounder, although the S/GTS additional performance and sound is worth it in my opinion.  

Edited by Withy

I am running a SD bought long range unseen from a OPC February 22 , We do a lot of continental driving so 42/46 mpg on gazole works for me .
Its powerful or should that be torquey ? Eats miles .More torque far lower ( more use ) than the petrol turbo , if you understand cars ?? 

No issues came with 3 yrs warranty .Was worth going the OPC route as it’s never been out of dealer network and had all the software upgrades .

Pano is a must .To be fair the std seats work fine , they do hold you and keep cooler in the summer , no hot leather issues .

I can see the appeal of alcantara if you spend a lot of seat time in it .A long range 75 L tank means 1000 km range .

Spare wheel is also reassuring .Means no waiting for assistance etc if you have a flat .

They do handle better than previous SUV s although AUDI derived the suspension and drive train are Porsche tuned and you can tell powering out of corners etc .

As far a gens , stood the wife in front of a car park with all three lined up ( on Swiss plates no dates on display) and asked her which one she preferred , she pointed to the cleaner lines of the gen 1 .= Done deal saved a lot on that method .

Light bar esp at night was told “ looks too naff “ .I think she had a point .

We have private plates so un date all our cars btw .

I agree with you, the Gen 1 is the best looking, not biased at all😁 Really don't like all the black plastic on the latest cars.

Pan roof a must.

8 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

I am running a SD bought long range unseen from a OPC February 22 , We do a lot of continental driving so 42/46 mpg on gazole works for me .
Its powerful or should that be torquey ? Eats miles .More torque far lower ( more use ) than the petrol turbo , if you understand cars ?? 

No issues came with 3 yrs warranty .Was worth going the OPC route as it’s never been out of dealer network and had all the software upgrades .

Pano is a must .To be fair the std seats work fine , they do hold you and keep cooler in the summer , no hot leather issues .

I can see the appeal of alcantara if you spend a lot of seat time in it .A long range 75 L tank means 1000 km range .

Spare wheel is also reassuring .Means no waiting for assistance etc if you have a flat .

They do handle better than previous SUV s although AUDI derived the suspension and drive train are Porsche tuned and you can tell powering out of corners etc .

As far a gens , stood the wife in front of a car park with all three lined up ( on Swiss plates no dates on display) and asked her which one she preferred , she pointed to the cleaner lines of the gen 1 .= Done deal saved a lot on that method .

Light bar esp at night was told “ looks too naff “ .I think she had a point .

We have private plates so un date all our cars btw .

I run a Gen 1 turbo and I absolutely love it. I bought from an OPC and am in my 3rd year of ownership now (just). I renewed the warranty as it comes with breakdown cover. I have had a few issues in ownership, however:

1) timing cover oil leak (fixed under warranty, in situ - almost pleased this is done as it's now had a permanent fix by Porsche so no future worries)

2) Coolant expansion tank cracked and leaked (replaced under warranty)

3) Coolant pipe split and leaked deep in the "v" of the engine (fixed under warranty)

4) Rattle from the front suspension - turned out to be brackets supporting the huge one piece bonnet (replaced with updated design items under warranty)

5) Rattles in the doors when closing (broken cable holders which were replaced under warranty)

The car is a 2015 model with just over 40k miles now. It came with a massive spec - the only thing missing which I miss is the heated front screen.

In terms of infotainment, the Gen 2 has the option of apple carplay (and is is an option so check it has it) but you can update the Gen 1 PCM to make it work, but it will affect the warranty of the PCM - I'll do this if I keep the car once the warranty runs out, or re-warranty it and then fit it:

One of the best cars we have ever owned. Ours is now approaching 124k - we have had from new. If it's diesel, look out for white furring around the adblue injector port just in front of the bulkhead. Adblue is injected into the exhaust system to keep emissions down and has a tendency to crystallise and block up. On ours a pipe split and it was off the road for a while until the pipe could be sourced from OPC.

We have had no issue with transfer box at all. Another issue with diesels is the particulate filter which can become clogged on vehicles which have been used for short journeys primarily. We don't have that issue with the high mileage that we do.

Also, beware that they aren't a full five seater despite the size. The rear seat is fine for short-ish trips, but an a 50-60mile journey it can be quite uncomfortable in the middle seat. If you are four-up, it's never an issue.

The PDK box needs a service every 40,000 miles too so factor that in. They also use brake pads and discs more often that a 'normal' passenger car, but probably about the same as any other SUV. Rear discs and pads are replaced about the same frequency as the fronts, we find.

Good choice, they really are excellent cars. Mrs Happy is not even remotely interested in cars, but she really enjoys the McCann.

Edited by Happy Days

21 hours ago, dpg123 said:

I run a Gen 1 turbo and I absolutely love it. I bought from an OPC and am in my 3rd year of ownership now (just). I renewed the warranty as it comes with breakdown cover. I have had a few issues in ownership, however:

1) timing cover oil leak (fixed under warranty, in situ - almost pleased this is done as it's now had a permanent fix by Porsche so no future worries)

2) Coolant expansion tank cracked and leaked (replaced under warranty)

3) Coolant pipe split and leaked deep in the "v" of the engine (fixed under warranty)

4) Rattle from the front suspension - turned out to be brackets supporting the huge one piece bonnet (replaced with updated design items under warranty)

5) Rattles in the doors when closing (broken cable holders which were replaced under warranty)

The car is a 2015 model with just over 40k miles now. It came with a massive spec - the only thing missing which I miss is the heated front screen.

In terms of infotainment, the Gen 2 has the option of apple carplay (and is is an option so check it has it) but you can update the Gen 1 PCM to make it work, but it will affect the warranty of the PCM - I'll do this if I keep the car once the warranty runs out, or re-warranty it and then fit it:

You don't now need to modify the PCM to get Andriod Auto or Apple Car Play. Get the Carlinkit it's then just plug and play even on Gen1.

29 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

You don't now need to modify the PCM to get Andriod Auto or Apple Car Play. Get the Carlinkit it's then just plug and play even on Gen1.

Oh really???! Do you have a link to the correct product by chance? The website looks quite confusing!

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/product-page/pcm-4-wireless-carplay-and-android-auto-add-on

This has worked perfectly with great support in event of any unlikelyissues. Some of the Chinese Ebay ones seem to not be as reliable.

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

Oh really???! Do you have a link to the correct product by chance? The website looks quite confusing!

1 hour ago, JurassicBGTS said:

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/product-page/pcm-4-wireless-carplay-and-android-auto-add-on

This has worked perfectly with great support in event of any unlikelyissues. Some of the Chinese Ebay ones seem to not be as reliable.

That states this:
"Auto Add-on for cars ALREADY FITTED with wired CarPlay"

I'm guessing I don't already have carplay on as i see no option for it on my Macan so this wouldn't work for me?

Just plugs into the USB in the armrest. I had nothing in my Gen1 Macan but as long your armrest is connected to the PCM, which if you can play music etc from your phone or a USB stick, it would work. Wired means from your USB to the PCM.

If you just give them a call they can tell you👍

Edited by JurassicBGTS
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Just plugs into the USB in the armrest. I had nothing in my Gen1 Macan but as long your armrest is connected to the PCM, which if you can play music etc from your phone or a USB stick, it would work. Wired means from your USB to the PCM.

If you just give them a call they can tell you👍

I still can't seem to find the kit you have. Do you know the model number or anything?

On 8/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, Happy Days said:

The PDK box needs a service every 40,000 miles too so factor that in.

Interesting, is that the same for their sports cars? Or is it to do with the greater weight of the Macan?

I recall that the Cayenne still used/uses the Tiptronic as the PDK couldn't cope apparently.

17 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Interesting, is that the same for their sports cars? Or is it to do with the greater weight of the Macan?

I recall that the Cayenne still used/uses the Tiptronic as the PDK couldn't cope apparently.

While they are all called PDK gearboxes they are physically different gearboxes and designs. In the 981 the PDK fluid change is 12 years or 120k but in the Macan it's every 4 years or 40k 

I think the PDK used to have a torque limit of 500nm due to the hollow shaft design and the cayennes bigger engines would more than likely shred it

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

No idea. My 718 is manual. When we were (many, many miles ago) still using the OPC for servicing, they advised it needed doing every 40k at the 40k service. I have had my indy adhere to that schedule. I'm sure there is information somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...