DIY Radiator Griils

Stephen44

I have a 2003 S tiptronic.

It has the lateral (horizontal) spurs across. No-one including ZUNSPORT makes grilles for this design.(that I have found yet)

I've ordered some aluminium mesh to make them myself and wondered if anyone has a good video of doing this. Searched on YouTube and only found a couple of sketchy installs.

I can't decide if I want to tie wrap them or use a hot glue gun to hold them in place?Screenshot_20230727_114724_eBay.thumb.jpg.b6bcd25734cd782695faab35d911de27.jpg

Edited by Stephen44
Spelling

I hot glued to my pre facelift 986 mesh in place.

I think cable ties round those bars on the facelift bumper will look obvious and dare I say cheapskate.  Use the cable ties to position the mesh, then glue in place.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I hot glued to my pre facelift 986 mesh in place.

I think cable ties round those bars on the facelift bumper will look obvious and dare I say cheapskate.  Use the cable ties to position the mesh, then glue in place.

The way to do it is drill pilot hole around black frame edge. It remains hidden then and the overlap mesh also helps self secure too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Same gauge I've had no mine for over 3 years with no problems.

To be fair I think I ordered it from your link... Good to know thank you. Did you just cut a template bigger than the hole and then bend It down around the black surround. Did you have to snip it some it followed the curves?

To be fair it will probably become obvious once I've got the bumper off I just can't picture it in my head at the moment!

7 hours ago, Stephen44 said:

To be fair I think I ordered it from your link... Good to know thank you. Did you just cut a template bigger than the hole and then bend It down around the black surround. Did you have to snip it some it followed the curves?

To be fair it will probably become obvious once I've got the bumper off I just can't picture it in my head at the moment!

It is quite malleable.  I have a pre facelift so I took the grilles out and covered them with the mesh forming it over the edges and cable tied it to the slats before gluing.  Also allow a hole for the air temp sensor to poke through.

8jNit9I.jpg 

p3shqhv.jpg?1 

• Thanks 1