Early 986 alarm doesn't give me 10 seconds on key

wasz

I understand when unlocking by the key, the car is supposed to give me 10 seconds to get into the car and switch ignition before the alarm sounds. My new to me 986 1998 does not do this.

I lock with the key all is fine. 

A few seconds later the alarm arms (flash in windscreen).

After this I unlock with the key, I turn the key to unlock, and back - the car unlocks.

However the same moment the indicators flash and horn sounds. 

There is no delay! The alarm is sounding and I get the key in the ignition and turn it quick to shut it up.

This is very embarrassing, as the remote fob does not work and I have no desire to spend money on replacing when I have (what should be) a perfectly adequate key.

Is this normal behaviour for an early car or is something amiss?

2 hours ago, wasz said:

I understand when unlocking by the key, the car is supposed to give me 10 seconds to get into the car and switch ignition before the alarm sounds. My new to me 986 1998 does not do this.

I lock with the key all is fine. 

A few seconds later the alarm arms (flash in windscreen).

After this I unlock with the key, I turn the key to unlock, and back - the car unlocks.

However the same moment the indicators flash and horn sounds. 

There is no delay! The alarm is sounding and I get the key in the ignition and turn it quick to shut it up.

This is very embarrassing, as the remote fob does not work and I have no desire to spend money on replacing when I have (what should be) a perfectly adequate key.

Is this normal behaviour for an early car or is something amiss?

My 2000 car is quite 'prompt' to trigger the alarm when using the key only.  There is a delay but it ain't 10 seconds, annoyingly it is just not quite long enough to get the key in the ignition and turn it to position 1.

• Like 1

hmmm

I can't think why its not giving me 10 secs - it's giving me 0, the doors unlock and the alarms goes off at the same moment.

So the key in door, turn to unlock triggers the unlock microswitch - which should also start the 10 second countdown.

but for some reason the car thinks soemone is breaking in...

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I had a 1998 996, and it did exactly the same. Seems like all the early systems do it. 

And that is from the Oracle of all things 9xx electrical & electronic!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Is there a possibility of a sticking micro switch in the lock some of us my be suffering from?

There's only one switch for unlock.

You turn the key it clicks the switch 

If it was sticking the car wouldn't trigger the central locking unlock?!

I have tried a new latch lock unit (vw part) and the behaviour is the same as the oe Porsche one.

I'm fairly convinced it's a software issue. I wonder if there's a software version written on the immo ecu and perhaps they got mixed up.

Anyway I'm thinking about snipping the horn and indicator wires to the immo ecu, this would stop the embarrassment.

Edited by wasz

15 minutes ago, wasz said:

There's only one switch for unlock.

You turn the key it clicks the switch 

If it was sticking the car wouldn't trigger the central locking unlock?!

I have tried a new latch lock unit (vw part) and the behaviour is the same as the oe Porsche one.

I'm fairly convinced it's a software issue. I wonder if there's a software version written on the immo ecu and perhaps they got mixed up.

Anyway I'm thinking about snipping the horn and indicator wires to the immo ecu, this would stop the embarrassment.

You could always contact JMG Porsche who I linked in the 2nd post above and see if they have a view on it.

It sounds from the link they have had enough experience of these cars over the years to give some pointers and why variations in behaviour might be seen - worth a call.

Edited by iborguk

Resolved it!

I pored over wiring diagrams for 98 and 99 and could find no difference in door latch switches.

I tested my door latch with a multi meter and it was not correct to the wiring diagram!

Turns out the car had a VW part number door latch fitted.

I found this article that recommends this latch - this is WRONG! https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/tech-tips/porsche-986-996-door-latch-replacement-with-vw-part/151397/page1/

This is wrong! The original is not a VW part but an Audi part, same as Audi TT MK1 8N and some earlier Audi.

My VW latch worked as in it locked and unlocked on the key and remote. However it has weird behaviour, the windows did not roll down on the key either and my alarm issue.

I have now replaced the latch with the correct one and normal 10 second delay service is resumed.

Perhaps those with similar faults have had their door latch replaced with the incorrect one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1