Odds and Ends

nelmo

Having had my car for almost 2 weeks now, a couple of basic questions:

1. The keyfob needs to be really close to the car to lock it (better when unlocking) - is that normal? I've changed the keyfob battery but no difference.

2. When opening the door from inside, I have to pull the handle twice. I assume the first time is to unlock the car. Am I missing something or is there a way to not need the double pull?

3. Out of interest, I used the demist button on the dash for the first time today and there seemed to be hot air coming out of it about 60 seconds after starting the car, surely well before the coolant is anywhere near warm (the temp gauge needle hadn't moved yet) - does anyone know how this magic works?

Thanks for any help.

7 minutes ago, nelmo said:

1. The keyfob needs to be really close to the car to lock it (better when unlocking) - is that normal? I've changed the keyfob battery but no difference.

My 986 tends to do the same when there's other cars close by and i presume some interference causing it not to work from distance. 

8 minutes ago, nelmo said:

2. When opening the door from inside, I have to pull the handle twice. I assume the first time is to unlock the car. Am I missing something or is there a way to not need the double pull?

When the doors are locked, as you say you have to pull the handle 1st time to unlock it and the second pull should trigger the window drop so you can open the door. Sounds like it's automatically locking between you starting the car and exiting. Do you hear it locking as you drive off? 

Not sure about no.3... 

Re 3, there is a coolant circuit separate from the thermostat controlled circuit that runs to the heater matrix direct from the engine.  Guess they had to do something as it takes  along time to heat up 18+ litres of water...

9 hours ago, nelmo said:

3. Out of interest, I used the demist button on the dash for the first time today and there seemed to be hot air coming out of it about 60 seconds after starting the car, surely well before the coolant is anywhere near warm (the temp gauge needle hadn't moved yet) - does anyone know how this magic works?

Thanks for any help.

Re 2. That’s how it works if the doors are locked.  They default to auto locking above 5 mph.  You could either press the central “lock” button to unlock them before opening or get the car coded to not auto lock.  (If you had individual memory and pcm then I think you can choose how that works - if not it’s a coding job with appropriate kit) 

9 hours ago, nelmo said:

Thanks for any help.

Re 1) same with both keys ?  I manage to unlock mine in the garage from inside the house if I sit on the keys so generally would say something up there.  

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Re 2. That’s how it works if the doors are locked.  They default to auto locking above 5 mph.  You could either press the central “lock” button to unlock them before opening or get the car coded to not auto lock.  (If you had individual memory and pcm then I think you can choose how that works - if not it’s a coding job with appropriate kit) 

Ahh so auto lock is standard on the 987 then? 

1 hour ago, fizz said:

Ahh so auto lock is standard on the 987 then? 

Think so - certainly been the case for both my 987.2.

You can tweak it with individual memory or PIWIS - I think you can have - lock when above speed ( maybe 8kph?) , lock when ignition turned on, unlock on ignition off ( might be imaginging that) or "don't". Also think you can mess around with "unlock just unlocks drivers door, or both" from the fob from memory. I *assume* 987.1 is the same.

13 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

You could always use the old trick of holding your key fob against your head when pressing the button, to extend the range 

What?

EDIT: Wow, it’s a real thing,

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/101913/why-does-a-remote-car-key-work-when-held-to-your-head-body

Edited by BBB
Unbelieving, epiphany, linked

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

Think so - certainly been the case for both my 987.2.

You can tweak it with individual memory or PIWIS - I think you can have - lock when above speed ( maybe 8kph?) , lock when ignition turned on, unlock on ignition off ( might be imaginging that) or "don't". Also think you can mess around with "unlock just unlocks drivers door, or both" from the fob from memory. I *assume* 987.1 is the same.

You can change it in the settings using the OBC stalk on a 987 to set autolock at above 5mph on or off

Edited by Bike Loon

17 minutes ago, BBB said:

Oh yeah - think it was on Top Gear years ago with Clarkson - spent far too long at the top of Fujitsu Tower in Bracknell seeing how far away we could unlock our cars in the car park below using this method - probably find it frazzles your brains - which explains a lot :)

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Yeah there are quite a few car functions that you can adjust using the PCM system

Those are dependent on the "individual memory" option I think - it's not a standard PCM feature, my previous 987.2 had PCM but didn't have that setup, current one does.

1 minute ago, Bike Loon said:

Another option box ticked then ;)

Think it's automatically added when you have sports chrono - I think so you can extract your laptimes to usb from the PCM , if I remember rightly it also is a seperate thing you can "buy a code for" and have added to PCM.

• Like 1