Cheap exhaust system for a 986S.

phazed

Happy to hire it from you Mick, if that is okay. BTW, the RS60 is at least as good now as it was when I bought it from you. Very happy with it. :)

eventually got the car up in the air a couple of hours ago. The whole exhaust system is shot including cats. Not surprisingly as the guy I bought the car from use an independent who probably should’ve been shot! Not going to go into the details here.

Still apprehensive about the noise from the eBay exhaust system. It would be good if someone would confirm that it is below 100 decibels. I know my standard system on myRS 60 is low 80s even in sport mode. 

I will probably bite the bullet, buy it and the manifolds and see what else I need to join up the parts!

There are lots of old posts on the eBay exhaust, rebranded as Toyosport, Direnza, more recently Gravity. It's loud and drones in summary. 

23 minutes ago, phazed said:

Happy to hire it from you Mick, if that is okay. BTW, the RS60 is at least as good now as it was when I bought it from you. Very happy with it. :)

eventually got the car up in the air a couple of hours ago. The whole exhaust system is shot including cats. Not surprisingly as the guy I bought the car from use an independent who probably should’ve been shot! Not going to go into the details here.

Still apprehensive about the noise from the eBay exhaust system. It would be good if someone would confirm that it is below 100 decibels. I know my standard system on myRS 60 is low 80s even in sport mode. 

I will probably bite the bullet, buy it and the manifolds and see what else I need to join up the parts!

Just let me know when you are ready, pm and I will give you the details 

22 minutes ago, edc said:

There are lots of old posts on the eBay exhaust, rebranded as Toyosport, Direnza, more recently Gravity. It's loud and drones in summary. 

I hear what you were saying, that may not worry me as I will not be keeping it at constant revs. On the other hand, if there is an alternative, then I am up for it. I know my cats are shot as they have been patched up in an amateur fashion! Manifolds are really rusty. I suppose I could renew the manifolds, keep the rear box, and then just join up the parts! Cats out.

I liked the idea of the eBay system as it looks a lot lighter. I am not after noise and really quite happy with the subdued sound of a standard system.

Would be happy if anyone had any parts kicking around that they are not using.

9 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Just let me know when you are ready, pm and I will give you the details 

Thanks Mick. I am sure I will be, a miracle if they come out!

If you are happy with the standard sound and volume then you mostly likely won't like the cheap exhaust. It is a lot lighter. Each of the parts is much lighter than the standard equivalent. There is no cheap alternative that keeps the same sort of sound. To do that you are looking at a Dansk which are £700+. Good used original boxes are jncrainglg hard if not impossible to come by second hand. I bought mine for £50 in 2013 and it has from memory about 25k on it and had been off a 2003 car for 3+ years already. 

13 hours ago, phazed said:

Would be happy if anyone had any parts kicking around that they are not using.

Not sure if you are still anti face ache or not but there are a few cars being sold for spares on there. The odd scam as well but relatively easy to spot if you ask about collecting and payment in person. 

Thanks for that Graham. Not on FB, but my wife has an account which uses for work occasionally so we’ll have a look later.

thanks for that Graham. Not on FB, but my wife has an account which she uses for work occasionally so will have a look later.

First bolt, gingerly attempted snapped instantly even after heating the area prior to attempting.

Mick, you have a Mail?

If they have never been off and it is really crusty underneath then probably all 12 will have a similar fate. 

22 hours ago, Everywhen said:

Stick some “drone killers” in the eBay exhaust and it’s fine. I’ve just done 200 miles with mine today without it getting on my nerves at all, mixture of A, B roads and dual carriageway. 

What are these “drone killers “?

14 minutes ago, phazed said:

These are all the same as the generic eBay ones. Get the equal length manifolds rather than the stainless version copy of the original design like your link. 

The more I think about it, the more I am unsure that the systems will be less than 100 dB.

if I commit to buying one of the systems and it is too noisy, then I have wasted time and money.

I have spoken to Toyosport and the people above, and they have no idea how noisy their systems are!

out of interest, will a 987 system fit a 986?

The fundamental question is what are you trying to achieve with the exhaust?  More power by reducing the muffler and cat back pressure, or more exhaust noise, or a combination of the two but still being track day compliant?  What are you doing on  the induction side of the engine? Oh, and all on a sensible budget.

It seems a Toyosport will do what you want, the droning people refer to is at 2500 to 3000 rpm which is motorway cruising speed.  You are not planning to do a motorway cruise with it.  The rest I'd leave along until is definitely needs work as drilling and thread repairing all the manifold bolts is a ball ache to say the least to fit s/s manifolds unless you really need to.  As for cats. as long as the pipes on yours are sound then they can also stay there even if the cat cores are shot, or try these as budget cats using their non-type approved ones at £75 each makes for cheap manifold to muffler link pipes!  3.2 - Cats2u.

I think I've already written before but I have tried most of the combinations of this. The noise is from the backbox in the main. You can channge the manifolds and cats and it won't be that much more noisy at all. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

Existing back box has been welded and has seen better days. The cats have been welded and have repair bandage around both of them! The manifolds have rusted to the point that the back plate which sits on the face of a cylinder head has mostly rusted away.

I am looking for a complete system. I take your point that the Toyo type system is Cheap and noisy. What I am looking for ideally is something lighter and noise compliant. Free-flowing to possibly add a couple of horsepower would be good and I hope to release a few more BHP by eventually fitting a larger throttlebody, (mapping required? Probably). This is all new to me and although I have an RS60, I have wanted and will keep this completely standard as it is such a nice car. This car seems  sound and isn’t actually rusty as the junk exhaust system may suggest. Not that bothered about cats right now, but who knows in a few years time I might want to sell it and therefore it would need cats to be able to be used on the road 

To sum up, I need a whole system, not fussy what, a few hp extra would be very beneficial, I like the standard sound and I’m definitely not looking for increased sound as I find this annoying!

TBH, if someone had a decent complete standard system, then I would probably go for that at this point. At least I would known it would pass the noise check at trackside.

Quite probably.

I can’t hang around here all day on the forum, I have some bolts to snap in the garage! ……..Check in later.

A good used standard box then the aftermarket manifolds and cats will work. Otherwise get a Dansk OE Style equivalent exhaust with the aftermarket manifolds and cats. You can buy more expensive versions of these from the likes of Dansk, Cargraphic, Supersprint, but since you started looking at cheap exhaust systems, the eBay items work well too. 

35 minutes ago, phazed said:

Are the boxes the same for the 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2?

The 2.5 has a different hanger for the back box compared to the other two and the 3.2 is different to the 2.7 but mainly due to the twin tail pipe.  Basically to avoid problems, match to your engine.