Cheap exhaust system for a 986S.

phazed

This isn’t the usual request for cheap parts for my newly acquired 986S. I plan to use the car for Track Days, and I’m looking to replace the system with something definitely not noisy, (got to pass noise checks at circuits) lighter and definitely reasonably priced.

The original exhaust has seen better days and I have been browsing on eBay and come across the very cheap pair of stainless manifold and exhaust system. I noticed that the cats don’t seem to be listed. The eBay stuff seems that cheap and I just wondered if anyone has any experience of these?

It may be best if I leave the cats out and make up spaces to replace the cabinets as these aren’t needed as the car won’t be getting on the road.

If anyone has any experience of these, can recommend any other systems or may have something lying around in their garage that might suit that would be great!

Look forward to hearing from you guys, as my experience of 986‘s is nil, although I have got a 987.1.

guessing you're looking at ebay's finest dronemaster exhaust, currently available new for just £169...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195959743062?fits=Plat_Gen%3A986|Model%3ABoxster&hash=item2da01c6256:g:h60AAOSwQRFk8EXR&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0Hu46nux%2BdTw5kpxsuUXoFfXSW2DH2%2FLEj5GFEwT1e1xKgIka%2FUyelalyl6uivvXmjWVvm4sH%2F5Sh4B0k2%2FuVICJFQRcNnwD1HSU8tme61%2FpT6Vi%2FTrSEjcXnTsSoL7Vlf%2F%2FIWhpMUPCHroD83waAnpjcMkOLAMUU7YfIhgnrCAOvfhFdZsq12A14O9lSx%2BTA12taBDSsnMO2gS7PzhblJRxD3Z1cZh%2Fo%2Fo3DcWMlj2lhfef7IUEUA7RthvFEu6IF1GunpcG9bb%2FtWEmmI4NQ5k%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4Kl_YPlYg

discussed at length here too:

i ran just the back box on my 986S and was fine for noise at Bedford, Snetterton, Donington and Anglesey - think it tested at 89db static, something like that.

i was going to get the stainless manifolds as well as they look so darn gorgeous, but my garaged advised that getting the old manifolds off would be a right pig of a job, so in the end i just went for the backbox.

personally, for a track car, i'd say its a no brainer. the system is insanely cheap, a lot lighter than the standard exhaust and sounds glorious at high rpm. you just have to put up with a bit of drone while driving to the track, but its easy enough to drive around it.

• Like 1

That is great. I’ll put some on order.

I assume there isn’t an option to join the manifold to the back box, (cats out). I will message the guy and enquire.

As to driving to the track, always trailer my car.

Hi Graham. The red one around the corner is only a 2.5 early model. This is a silver one with a red roof and looks exactly like my 987.1 RS60 in a way!

Skoda is up for sale, but in a way, I am loath to let it go, I will use it over the winter while I am working on this car. When you put a lot of work into cars they become part of you and in a way I would be extremely sad to see it go.

Hi Peter, one to consider. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=2015662
450+ horse power and you could sell the 3.2 engine to pay for it all. The power of your 5.5 and a better chassis! What a track car combination!

Engine mods and logic for change in the later parts of the thread. 

I would really like to know if anyone who has this fitted has had it sound checks and how many decibels approximately it produces at a static test.

I've had the sports manifolds on both my 986 for over 10 years now and sports cats for most of that time too. Most of the sound volume is in the back box. 

You could get sports cats or just decat pipes. 

1 hour ago, phazed said:

That is great. I’ll put some on order.

I assume there isn’t an option to join the manifold to the back box, (cats out). I will message the guy and enquire.

As to driving to the track, always trailer my car.

This what you are looking for??

Catalytic Pipe Set, Stainless Steel - Tech 9 (tech-9.co.uk)

Luckily, one of my pals has a workshop near me and is a metal fabricator and has all the gear for pipe bending. Has made roll cages and exhausts in the past.

You can get decat pipes for less than half that price. You can also simply gut a cat. It's not quite the same but may be a cheaper option. 

Just been having a browse on the web and YouTube.

It seems that it is so easy to break/snap the bolts holding the manifolds onto the cylinder heads.

it almost seems that it is guaranteed to snap at least some of them. This is disconcerting.
Just interested to know the experiences of you guys, whether this is the case, any tips to help, and if the worst comes to the worst best method of removing the remains of the bolts.

No different to a 987. I had them done at Wrightune and Revolution. If you're doing have a search as a few have done it at home too. 

I will be doing it myself.

Forewarned etc.

I see there is a great kit available to drill out the snapped bolts. Made by STOMSKI. Looks brilliant, but is 400 quid!

First things first, I’ll put the car up in the air on Sunday and have an appraisal. I know it is blowing slightly somewhere and the fact that I would like a lighter more free flowing system. It looks like I will have to go down this route!

Still happy to hear from anyone who’s done it themselves.

I’m looking forward to hearing from people who have removed all the bolts without any problem!

40 minutes ago, phazed said:

Just been having a browse on the web and YouTube.

It seems that it is so easy to break/snap the bolts holding the manifolds onto the cylinder heads.

it almost seems that it is guaranteed to snap at least some of them. This is disconcerting.
Just interested to know the experiences of you guys, whether this is the case, any tips to help, and if the worst comes to the worst best method of removing the remains of the bolts.

That's why @bally4563 has a manifold drilling jig that he rents out rather than you having to buy...

Edited by ½cwt

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

That's why @bally4563 has a manifold drilling jig that he rents out rather than you having to buy...

Ah. Thanks for that. I bought my 987 from him, so we have previous! :)

1 minute ago, phazed said:

I bought a 987 gear shift and a 'Bally Brace' for my 986 from him too.

I fitted the manifold to my 986 at home and all 12 bolts came out easily, this is rare though. The manifold did improve the car, it seemed to rev more freely, I fitted sports cats later.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

I fitted the manifold to my 986 at home and all 12 bolts came out easily, this is rare though. The manifold did improve the car, it seemed to rev more freely, I fitted sports cats later.

Good to know. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it but have seen several videos last night on YouTube. Will play it by ear!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phazed said:

I would not attempt, drilling out without the jig , done it once , and I consider I know what I am doing, a right royal pain , future ones I’ve done since has been a breeze , also testament from folks who have bitten the bullet and hired , would not attempt the job without