Control unit for roof, spoiler and windows.

phazed

My recently purchased 986 has a problem with non-opening roof, windows and spoiler in the up position. I knew this and guessed that it was the rear control unit as in the 987. A Porsche parts guy said, (from memory) he didn’t think that the 986 had this unit. Is this true? 

If anyone knows the answer or if it is a rear control unit and they may have the full description or part number for the unit, can you let me know please.

Thank you.

There is no rear control unit in the 986.

There is a double relay at the top of the relay panel at the bottom of driver's A-pillar which to the roof control unit.  The spoiler is controlled from the instrument cluster. The windows have no specific control unit.

PM me and I can send you over lots of useful info.

Edited by ½cwt

36 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Three is no rear control unit in the 986.

There is a double relay at the top of the relay panel at the bottom of driver's A-pillar which to the roof control unit.  The spoiler is controlled from the instrument cluster. The windows have no specific control unit.

PM me and I can send you over lots of useful info.

Will do.

13 minutes ago, edc said:

Do none of these things work at all? 

I have only driven this car from my trailer into the garage!

I know the roof won’t move at all, the windows don’t seem to go down and the spoiler is in the up position.

The car has not been used since last November and has been sitting for the last several months at a Porsche dealership until he made his mind up what to do with it. Apparently it had water ingress, the usual blocked drains that his regular mechanic didn’t know existed! I believe there is a control unit under the passenger seat, (or am I thinking of the 987) and guessed that it was a similar problem to the 987. 

The spoiler has two relays in the trunk (one for up/one for down). Try swapping them over , as a test.

https://www.design911.co.uk/p/relay-spoiler-porsche-986-996-carrera-gt-99661510202-99661510201-99661510200/

Does the spoiler retract using the switch ?

Edited by iborguk

3 minutes ago, phazed said:

I have only driven this car from my trailer into the garage!

I know the roof won’t move at all, the windows don’t seem to go down and the spoiler is in the up position.

The car has not been used since last November and has been sitting for the last several months at a Porsche dealership until he made his mind up what to do with it. Apparently it had water ingress, the usual blocked drains that his regular mechanic didn’t know existed! I believe there is a control unit under the passenger seat, (or am I thinking of the 987) and guessed that it was a similar problem to the 987. 

As @iborguk says, that is the alarm control unit int eh 986.  They moved this for the 987 design, then someone in the Design Department saw a space for the rear control unit so put it under the seat again, where unsurprisingly they now get wet but the 987 alarm system is fine...!!!

That is interesting! Apparently it went to the Porsche dealership with a non-start problem and they diagnosed an immobiliser problem.

The car was wet inside and although the previous owner doesn’t really know anything about the technicalities of it, the Porsche dealership got it going after a few weeks, (I guess the alarm unit dried out) and the car starts instantly now.
Once I have finished drilling these manifold bolts out, I will concentrate on other things and investigate further.

This is a bit of a winter project as well as my future, (hopefully!) track day car, so no rush.

2 minutes ago, phazed said:

That is interesting! Apparently it went to the Porsche dealership with a non-start problem and they diagnosed an immobiliser problem.

The car was wet inside and although the previous owner doesn’t really know anything about the technicalities of it, the Porsche dealership got it going after a few weeks, (I guess the alarm unit dried out) and the car starts instantly now.
Once I have finished drilling these manifold bolts out, I will concentrate on other things and investigate further.

This is a bit of a winter project as well as my future, (hopefully!) track day car, so no rush.

Alarm Control Unit has most likely had a bath.

Good primer on the 986 alarm/immobiliser at the link below

https://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/item/234-996-986-alarm-primer

If the battery dies it can spoil the spoiler operation normally sorts itself after a charged battery and a run which rolling into garage won't do.

Also check the handbrake light switch is working and given the car seems to have had recent issues a basic check if the fuses and relays might be worth while. 

• Like 1

Battery was completely flat. Fuse cover is removed probably for the dealer to hotwire the froot, (front boot, frunk is so American!)., release it to get to the battery.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Battery was completely flat. Fuse cover is removed probably for the dealer to hotwire the froot, (front boot, frunk is so American!)., release it to get to the battery.

Front back bottom when you can’t open it !!

If you don't know the history of the car well then the most basic check is probably to check if the roof relay is even there. It's above the fuse panel.