987.2 for sale.... idea of value.

Good afternoon all, well after another advisory free mot ( my 3rd with her ) i've decided to sell my 6psd basalt black 2.9 Boxster and allow her to go to her 3rd home.

Trouble is, i'm not exactly sure where to pitch her price-wise. 

I'm the 2nd owner after buying her in October 2020 from the original owner in Knaresborough who was a company director and this was her Co car. She had 142k on the odemeter and after speaking to RPM who had looked after her exclusively , and scanning the mot history and service records which were extensive, decided to take the train and buy her. 

Original clutch and OEM flywheel were changed at 150k ( yes you read that right ) Sachs sport clutch kit and OEM DMF and bolts.

Gear cables snapped a few weeks after and i purchased her and the 3rd set were bought from Porsche and fitted, offering a very nice rifle-like mechanical shift. Original cables snapped at 42k. The 3rd set were the uprated type and OEM.

This year she had both front droplinks and n/s trackrod end replaced, purchased from Design911.

Over the last few years i've replaced various coolant hoses and pipes, all from Porsche main dealer.

Oem front springs replaced under warranty during my 1st years ownership as 1 was broken but changed both.

I've replaced the battery for an S4 Bosch battery, fitted a new starter motor in the last few months but apart from that she's just needed regular oil changes and maintenance.

Cosmetically i've changed the exhaust tips to carbon S type but kept the original single outlet tip. Fitted a Pioneer touch screen bluetooth dab head unit and trim kit. 

Fitted a black polished aluminium gearknob and black alcantara shift boot. Coloured the interior trim to liven up the boring grey trim but again have the original trims and matched the colour of Lava Orange to the calipers with correct porsche logos in black.

I had the original silver 18" alloys fully refurbed in Porsche Anthracite dark silver and they're stunning aswell as fitting lower front grilles bought from USA Grille Store. 

She has a V3 sprint booster and GANGA+ tuning box fitted.

Heated seats and rear parking sensors and crystal clear headlights with Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.

" poverty spec " as some would call her so no full leather and basic aircon .

She's currently sitting at 158310 miles and drives like a dream still... responsive and still very tight.

Everything i've changed or removed i've kept to return to stock, including the desnork and puddle lights

Wind deflector fitted and still have the storage bag it came in.

Full service history including brake fluid change documentation, all manuals and every receipt for servicing, mot's and maintenance and every mot cert bar one.

No IMS to worry about and not direct injection like the S model from the period.

What's the general concensus on what she's worth..?

I'll be advertising her in due course on Pistonheads over the next week or so as i plan to move into the 911 world.

Apart from the 1st service at main dealer, she's only ever seen the inside of 2 garages in her life, RPM and an a mechanic i've used for nearly 30 years that i know and trust who has looked after previous S-model Audis, M3's, previous Boxsters and my old Corvette C4.

Answers on a postcard please and if you scroll through my previous posts ( if you care too ) pictures can be found.

She's garaged and polished and detailed regularly using quality products.

Cheers all and apologies for the lengthy post.

Si.

Edited by skoosh1970

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think @Bike Loon had a high miles 987.2, might give you an idea.

I know nothing of the market but wonder if 10-12k is ballpark.

Nope that was a 3.4 987.1 and was 120,000 mikes when I sold it.

bearing in mind you can get a sensible mikes 987.2 2.9 for the £12k mark, if you want to sell it you would need to be looking at sub 10k in my opinion.

list it for a price you want, if it doesn’t sell, then the price needs to be lower 

• Thanks 1

I never really get why people ask on forums for car values - it's irrelevant what we think, it's down to other cars available.

Just use Auto Trader, find other cars as similar to yours as possible and price accordingly - lower if you want a quick sale, higher if you're happy to wait.

Just after I bought mine for £8.5k (which was almost the cheapest on AT), I went on to WBAC (for a laugh) and they offered me £4.5k!! Wonder if they knew something I didn't...

Sounds like start at 9.5k (10k is a psychological number, better aim for lower) and see who turns up.

Or for a really quick sale, see if WBAC does actually give you that 8.5

If you bought it in Oct 2020, were prices already starting to rise then?

The usual caveat that we are now entering winter which usually lowers demand.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

WBAC have offered £8500 ......!!!!!!!!!!

It might be worth taking that to avoid the grief of selling a high miles with people offering you £5k. I think £9.5k is probably about right.

• Like 3

Cheers for the input and whilst I agree it's a pointless exercise it can be useful to gauge a general opinion. I bought her for right money at the time and always expected to lose a certain % on resale and have a fair idea what I'll advertise her for and realistically what I'll accept. Absolutely no rush to sell and actually don't really need too.

Cheers again.

There is a blue one on AT at the moment with 120k ish that was up for £12,995, then reduced to £11.995 and now £10,995 - but the MOT history is patchy at best, sounds like it needs a load of work and only has 4 photos - it is a PDK though which seem to go for slightly more than the equivalent manual.

I would agree - probably something just sub-£10k to get the right person - its a lot of car for the money and sounds well looked after - just some people can't see past the miles.

Perhaps one for @Porschevirgin1968?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

There is a blue one on AT at the moment with 120k ish that was up for £12,995, then reduced to £11.995 and now £10,995 - but the MOT history is patchy at best, sounds like it needs a load of work and only has 4 photos - it is a PDK though which seem to go for slightly more than the equivalent manual.

I would agree - probably something just sub-£10k to get the right person - its a lot of car for the money and sounds well looked after - just some people can't see past the miles.

Perhaps one for @Porschevirgin1968?

Yeah I've seen that and only partial service history too and more owners than mine .

RPM are good eggs it could be worth dropping them and email to see where they think it should be price point wise and as you've kept using them for maintenance they might even offer to sell the car for you(edit not for free obviously) or give you an offer for it. 

Like you already know the tyre kicking will be brutal, I actually agree 6-7k is probably right for the spec and milage when you could spend the difference and get something with almost 100k less on the clock. Yes the engines are good & your car looks to have had a very good service history I can't see WBAC not trying it on and dropping that 8500 down. 

Edited by Cocky

1 hour ago, skoosh1970 said:

I will not be selling her for 6 or 7 grand I can guarantee that much. 

The forum never seems to talk up the value, it's something I've noticed.

Autotrader is a useful guide, comparing yours against similar examples. Of course that's only a guide to asking prices.

But if they sell quickly, they probably fetched something close.

I have to wonder who sells a convertible in October / November?

5 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Autotrader is a useful guide, comparing yours against similar examples. Of course that's only a guide to asking prices.

Someone who's looking to " trade up " 

13 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I think most are quite realistic on pricing on here, except @Bike Loon whom always mega bucks 😁. Price is so subjective though. All the cars i was watching when i bought mine are still for sale and not many have changed their prices.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Well maybe you can afford to get a low price for your car. If money's an issue, it's terrible timing.

Lol, I'm in no hurry to sell and have even considered waiting til the spring to do so. Once I've made the decision to do so its done and the process of finding her replacement starts all over again. I purchased her in October and its purely coincidental that I'm choosing to sell in October.

2 minutes ago, EXY said:

Out of interest what price did you get offered for a "trade in"?

As a trade in on a few 911's I was offered around £7k and slightly more against a rather nice Maserati 😂

1 hour ago, skoosh1970 said:

As a trade in on a few 911's I was offered around £7k and slightly more against a rather nice Maserati 😂

That is strange, usually they are closer to the WBAC offer.

GLWTS  :thumbsup_anim: