Stuck in 5th gear

944GS

I’ve just had the start of a nice drive along some A roads but a few miles from the beach where I was heading to we hit some traffic so I went to change gear but nothing, the car won’t come out of 5th gear.

It’s a 2005 3.2S manual and the clutch is working fine so looking for ideas as to what’s gone wrong, I’m thinking maybe the gear cable has come off but I wouldn’t even know how to check!

I’ve parked up safely before the next village with traffic lights so I didn’t get stopped with a queue behind me and have just walked to the beach with the dog but what’s the chances of being able to pull away in 5th when I get back and at least get it home?

I think you’ll have problems pulling away from standstill in 5th.

If you have any tools with you, the shift cables can be seen under the storage cubby where your left elbow sits. You’ll need a screwdriver to look under there. If one of the cables has become disconnected it may have done it there. Alternatively it has come off at the gearbox end.

Personally, I’d call a recovery service at this point.

• Thanks 1

Update is that after an hours walk it was a little less stuck so I managed to release it and drive the 12 miles home.

I didn’t try 5th but every other gear change was perfect so it’s back in the garage and I can get it to my Indy at a more suitable time!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ninesomething said:

Top tip - get under there and slather everything that might move in grease. Take a look and everything will look dry and covered in surface rust. It's supposed to be a service item but no-one ever bothers.

Thanks, it’s certainly looking like that’s the most likely issue based on comments and the helpful video posted above.  I’m not someone who usually does any kind of mechanical work on my cars but feel like this is something I should be able to do so will give it a go 😀.

12 hours ago, 944GS said:

Thanks, it’s certainly looking like that’s the most likely issue based on comments and the helpful video posted above.  I’m not someone who usually does any kind of mechanical work on my cars but feel like this is something I should be able to do so will give it a go 😀.

Get a can of white lithium spray grease and go to town on it! 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 10:35 AM, ricof said:

Get a can of white lithium spray grease and go to town on it! 

I’ve bought the grease and wire brush and had a very quick look under the car when I got home but didn’t see the area that I need to spray, admittedly I was just lying on the ground with my head under the bumper!

After owning a 944 with rusty sills for 8+ years I’m always nervous of jacking up old Porsches but I guess it will make it easier to find so will get the trolley jack out and have another look.

Edited by 944GS

20 hours ago, 944GS said:

I’ve bought the grease and wire brush and had a very quick look under the car when I got home but didn’t see the area that I need to spray, admittedly I was just lying on the ground with my head under the bumper!

After owning a 944 with rusty sills for 8+ years I’m always nervous of jacking up old Porsches but I guess it will make it easier to find so will get the trolley jack out and have another look.

Have a look at the video posted further up. 

On 12/19/2023 at 6:15 PM, 944GS said:

Just man up , it’s not rocket science!!!

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Woah, check jacking points first. Commonly people crush the aircon lines if not careful. 

Mostly that's if you don't use the jacking point properly! 

I had a bit of time after work before going out so jacked the car up, from the video above I’m looking for this:

IMG_1077

And what I can see right now is this:

IMG_6298

I don’t know if this could be the issue but the yellow bit was sitting at an angle and when I moved it around a tiny piece of gravel fell out, it was what the builders were putting down before laying monoblock in our street so I’ve been driving over it for weeks.

Anyway I cleaned it up and covered it in grease then went for a drive and all gears were working fine, someone will probably be along in a minute to tell me this is nothing to do with the gears.  I still prefer taking computers apart to cars but at least I’ve now seen under the car for the first time 😀.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BBB said:

If you haven’t already got some of these @944GS, they go into the jack location, a quarter turn holds them in and you have a pad that protects the car and the aircon pipes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145247927637

Thanks, I just have a rubber pad that fits into the jack but it doesn’t lock onto the car like these, I assume these can be left in when driving.

3 hours ago, 944GS said:

Thanks, I just have a rubber pad that fits into the jack but it doesn’t lock onto the car like these, I assume these can be left in when driving.

I wouldn’t, I think they could vibrate free. But I have left one on by mistake and it was still there at the end of a short drive. There’s no point keeping them in the car as we don’t have a jack, but I take the pads with me if I have a tyre changed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 944GS said:

I had a bit of time after work before going out so jacked the car up, from the video above I’m looking for this:

IMG_1077

And what I can see right now is this:

IMG_6298

I don’t know if this could be the issue but the yellow bit was sitting at an angle and when I moved it around a tiny piece of gravel fell out, it was what the builders were putting down before laying monoblock in our street so I’ve been driving over it for weeks.

Anyway I cleaned it up and covered it in grease then went for a drive and all gears were working fine, someone will probably be along in a minute to tell me this is nothing to do with the gears.  I still prefer taking computers apart to cars but at least I’ve now seen under the car for the first time 😀.

Told you man up and have a look if all is fine you have just saved you ££££

16 hours ago, 944GS said:

You can and I didn't lose mine, but it wasn't intentional.  I'd remove them after every lift to make sure you keep hold of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Or like I have done in the past pressing down the road , to see something fly off in the rear view, trust me work out what it could be , back track find nothing … then the penny drops !!

I’ve had similar experiences😉