ceramic brake pads?

mp1

I really hate cleaning the wheels after ever drive and I'm thinking about putting ceramic pads on to reduce the break dust.

I'm not an aggressive driver so stopping distance is not an issue. Do they reduce the dust enough to justify the cost?

10 minutes ago, mp1 said:

I really hate cleaning the wheels after ever drive and I'm thinking about putting ceramic pads on to reduce the break dust.

I'm not an aggressive driver so stopping distance is not an issue. Do they reduce the dust enough to justify the cost?

When I last checked, Ceramic brakes were a £6000 option. That's quite an expense to avoid a bit of dusting.

1 hour ago, mp1 said:

I really hate cleaning the wheels after ever drive

Perhaps cleaning them after every drive is a bit of overkill, leave it several drives or find a decent ceramic coating for the wheels which will make the cleaning easier

I've have a set of ceramic pads and just plain vented discs on the front.Normal set up on the rear.happy with it.I don't track.it's easy enough to change them if needed.. Can't say it's adversely affected braking. quite the opposite.Yes massive improvement on keeping the wheels clean but even without that I wouldn't go back to semi metallic on the front..pinch of salt etc but just my two cents.

13 hours ago, McDonald said:

When I last checked, Ceramic brakes were a £6000 option. That's quite an expense to avoid a bit of dusting.

This includes ceramic discs. OP is talking about ceramic pads on steel discs. I never knew it was an option until I found Toyota had fitted them to my RAV4. Which I believe had notably less dust than expected. Not sure why they are dusty now, if the pads had worn through or I got normals fitted at a later service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit surprised this is even an option - would have thought that the material in ceramic pads is optimised for ceramic discs?  I’d be wary of using materials that were not designed to be used together.
My PCCB pads will be replaced in February and given the cost I can’t believe that it’s worth while for a bit less dust but potentially below par braking.  As others have said some decent wheel protection will go a long way to helping you keep things clean.

• Simon changed the title to ceramic brake pads?