Exhaust back box options

Norbert

On 12/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, ATM said:

Ok - but why do the seams go?

The seams are rolled and folded and the two sections pressed together. These seams will hold moisture. The exhaust is assembled in the bottom section, top fitted and put in a big jig press. Final welding done on intakes etc.

People grind off the rot and weld the two sections together. You need some meat left on the two flanges and a very good and patient tig welder as the metal is thin. 😬🤙🏻

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Do we think that’s an example of them breaking down from inside?

Seems to be a common failure point on those top corners.

987’s seem to be prone on the corners of there 2 part exhaust. Metal maybe different to 986?

4 hours ago, iborguk said:

Do we think that’s an example of them breaking down from inside?

Seems to be a common failure point on those top corners.

Could be a hot spot?

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Could be a hot spot?

I wonder if there's an unswept area inside, under that rot spot. Where gas flow is limited or where an interior pipe shields gas flow and short drives allows acidic moisture to stay there, corroding away from the inside. 

On 12/29/2023 at 5:38 AM, ATM said:

There has to be an industrial solution to cover and protect simple mild steel in temperature changing environments.

They aren't mild steel.

They are stainless steel. Think stain less not stain proof or rust proof. They still corrode.

Obviously oem are higher grade of stainless vs toyo sports.

Any love for the Crios mod on here? I did mine:

pe4G91I.jpg

UPS finally delivered the exhaust today. Apparently it was loaded in the wrong van causing a 4 days delay. Apart of that the shipping was really fast. The parcel left US (west) in two days and in day 3 it was in London! Really impressive. I didn't have to pay any additional cost. Ebay collected the 20% and the custom duty was 0% as the product was manufactured in the EU. The total is GBP356 (108 was the exhaust, 188 delivery and 59 VAT). The condition is much better than anything you can find here, only surface corrosion . image.thumb.jpeg.a494aa6b7854941713cb98d77e2841f3.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice, with bends and a free space blanket. 🤙

Is it an early version with the fixed tailpipe or the later with the removable tailpipe?

Edited by Fat Rat

I have a 2001 Boxster S but it has a 2.7 backbox on it. Naffs me right off because it doesn't have the correct twin tooters exit. I'll avoid the ebay ones like the plague after reading this thread. Sounds like it's time to start saving up again.

Interesting advice and opinions which are all appreciated for us newbies.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, Norbert said:

UPS finally delivered the exhaust today. Apparently it was loaded in the wrong van causing a 4 days delay. Apart of that the shipping was really fast. The parcel left US (west) in two days and in day 3 it was in London! Really impressive. I didn't have to pay any additional cost. Ebay collected the 20% and the custom duty was 0% as the product was manufactured in the EU. The total is GBP356 (108 was the exhaust, 188 delivery and 59 VAT). The condition is much better than anything you can find here, only surface corrosion . image.thumb.jpeg.a494aa6b7854941713cb98d77e2841f3.jpeg

That looks in really good condition! 

Do you have a link to the seller? Unless it was an individual as opposed to a trade sale. 

3 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Nice, with bends and a free space blanket. 🤙

Is it an early version with the fixed tailpipe or the later with the removable tailpipe?

Fixed tailpipe, I guess pre-facelift 2.7.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, Norbert said:

You could clean that surface staining off in no time with some Harpic 10x and a bit of wire wool. If you fancy it all shiny that is.

5 hours ago, fizz said:

No 3.2 S exhaust as yet but maybe thats a good thing for me! :D 

Cheers for the link mate! 

@fizz They haven’t had a 3.2 S exhaust for more than 18 months, as that is how long I have been following them on eBay! Refreshing to hear that they are a good outfit though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddie said:

@fizz They haven’t had a 3.2 S exhaust for more than 18 months, as that is how long I have been following them on eBay! Refreshing to hear that they are a good outfit though.

I shall wait in line behind you then my friend! 😉

• Haha 1

Screen-Shot-2024-01-10-at-18-44-58.jpg

An exhaust I've been looking at has a split in the side, see above. Seller says it's in good nick. It's 200 quid, but does it look like an easy thing to fix?

Many thanks.

If it is a short length like that, a decent exhaust welder should be able to remove the rot and weld the remaining seam fairly cheaply.  Just check it isn't in 3 or 4 other places round the main seam as it normally looks like it is.