My First Boxster And Its A Bit Of A Project

e21 Keith

I've never owned a Porsche, been into BMW. VAG group cars, few Mercedes, lots of German cars but never a Porsche.

I've just bought an '03 Boxster S, Manual as a project car, it was cheap so I have money in the bank to carry out some repairs. I've always worked on my own cars, very rarely pay a garage unless I don't have time to do the work myself. 

Issue number 1 is the second gear synchro, a well documented issue that requires an expensive gearbox rebuild or known good second hand one. While the 'box is out I will do the clutch (flywheel if necessary) and that leaves the IMS bearing and rear oil seal to do. The gearbox and clutch don't worry me that much, I'll take my time and be methodical, the rear oil seal doesn't seem too difficult. That leaves the IMS bearing, which again doesn't look that difficult, but there is scope to make an expensive mistake here!

Has anyone done the IMS bearing themselves? I'm thinking of taking the engine and 'box out in one go to make access easier and also to have a look at everything else that's there. Is it possible to rent/borrow the tool for pulling the bearing out?

Welcome! You'll find a few here to help you. Especially look around for suitable cheap substitute parts by known manufacturers, they will save you a lot.

All I remember about IMS replacement is put it in the freezer the night before.  I don't recall tool hire being a problem. A few people did their own.

Doing exactly the same with a sad S. Had pretty much everything apart apart from the engine and box although I have fitted a deeper sump.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I look forward to finding out more!

I'm not a fan of main dealer parts prices, I often research who the original manufacturer was and buy that from an after market supplier.

I've really bought the car to learn about Boxsters and to decide whether I really want one long term. So I'll do all the work on this one to learn how it's put together, then I'll either keep it or buy another.

Currently in my garage

2001 BMW e39 M5 Owned for 16 years

1991 BMW e30 325 Cabriolet

1982 BMW e21 323i Fully rebuilt and restored by me.

Daily drivers: 2012 Passat Alltrack. 2010 Skoda Superb Estate (the only auto we own, for my partner), 2006 BMW 330d Touring Sport.

I've probably owned over 100 cars in my time including over 30 BMW e30s, most have been quiet transient, but when I like something I keep it a long time! 

welcome along! how many miles has your new purchase done?

theres a good argument for leaving the IMS well alone on a 20 year old car, if it was going to break, it would have done so about 15 years ago. a 20 year old car that is used properly with regular oil changes is unlikely to have any problems.

Just now, brillomaster said:

welcome along! how many miles has your new purchase done?

theres a good argument for leaving the IMS well alone on a 20 year old car, if it was going to break, it would have done so about 15 years ago. a 20 year old car that is used properly with regular oil changes is unlikely to have any problems.

That is good to hear regarding my car!

I think I could empty the ashtray myself without instructions, but I never let anyone smoke in my cars anyway. In fact I never knowingly buy cars that have been smoked in!

Anyway, back to the Boxster. Lots of planning, probably wait for slightly better weather as I am quite old and worn out and I’ll be doing it on the driveway because my garage is full of cars that I never drive!

• Haha 2

It’s done about 120k, not sure of the service history as don’t have the docs yet. I’d just like to do the job for peace of mind, with the clutch needing doing it seems sensible to do it while im there, no labour charges and would probably add to the resale value of the car.

3 minutes ago, e21 Keith said:

and I’ll be doing it on the driveway because my garage is full of cars that I never drive!

:D You're in good company here then!

I have just come in for a cup of tea after completing the underside, backend of my car. Even in my garage with an infrared heater on it is bloody freezing! Just trying to think of a few things to do in the house to stop me going back outside this afternoon!

You driveway guys must be made sterner stuff!

5 minutes ago, phazed said:

I have just come in for a cup of tea after completing the underside, backend of my car. Even in my garage with an infrared heater on it is bloody freezing! Just trying to think of a few things to do in the house to stop me going back outside this afternoon!

You driveway guys must be made sterner stuff!

I was working on mine most the weekend, on the driveway.  I'm glad the real cold didn't hit the South until today.  I miss my pop up garage and long for a proper garage big enough to work on a car!

Change the gearbox oil before committing to an expensive rebuild, it does ease things quite a lot. If you do have it all out, and even if not, front engine mount will usually be shot which affects gear change and clutch quality which may make you think the 'box is worse than it actually is.

• Like 1

If you search around you can find downloads (unoffical) of scanned versions of the Boxster workshop manual.  Worth remembering that the front half of teh Boxster is also a 996 so this from another forum gets you some way there:

PDF, Porsche Workshop Manual for 996 Carrera | Porsche 911UK Forum

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 3:52 PM, ½cwt said:

Change the gearbox oil before committing to an expensive rebuild, it does ease things quite a lot. If you do have it all out, and even if not, front engine mount will usually be shot which affects gear change and clutch quality which may make you think the 'box is worse than it actually is.

On this - Lemforder (34705 01) make the bush in the front mount, I bought a used assembly, got a local garage to press the bush in and swapped the assembly. Might actually have been cheaper to just buy the new 986 assembly from OPC!

The 987 part is a revised design.

Needed new “buffers” to suit the new mount.

TIPEC & PCGB both get you 10% at Design 911 (very useful parts diagrams) and Heritage.

For anything not available from the aftermarket (I.e. where you can only get Genuine Porsche) then your local OPC parts desk is a good move. Also about registering for Porsche Classic. D911 sell genuine Porsche but OPC often cheaper - albeit less likely to ship.

From what I’ve found, ignition parts tend to be Beru, radiators and condenser likely Behr (Hella), shocks from Bilstein, filters from Mann, suspension arms & drop links from TRW, boot & bonnet struts from Stabilus. Avoid URO.

Autodoc is good value, but you probably already know this.

V envious of your E39 M5!

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:23 AM, ½cwt said:

There is a BoXa.net engine mount bush changing kit.  Not sure who has it currently, @ricof according to the topic??

Yes I’ve got it, let me know if you need it sending anywhere!