Check Engine Light has come on!

Schuey

Hi Peeps,

I've had my 986.2 Boxster for 3 weeks now, it ticked over 65k miles today on a drive to Nottingham to see a friend. However, on my way back just as I was about to join the motorway the CEL came on saying visit workshop.  The car sounds and drives fine, still pulls well in the gears, no funny noises and oil level and water temps are fine too.  Nothing untoward that I can hear, see or feel whilst driving.

Any ideas what it could be? I don't have an OBD Reader to see what the fault is so will probably need to get it booked in now somewhere.  Could it just be a dodgy sensor? Any commons problems that could cause the light to come on?

Many thanks in advance.

Get a cheapy OBD reader from amazon, less than £20 will tell you the basics. Without one its pure guess work.

As a quick fix, disconnect the battery for 20mins to clear the memory 

• Like 1

CEL is pretty much "emissions related" - can be triggered by misfires and things like that, if its working well and fluids are good then it's probably something going out of spec....

The key word is "something" - you need to know what the underlying codes are - for a CEL on a 986 likely a 20 quid amazon code reader ( autel is good ) will tell you, and once you know what it is/was - will likely be able to turn it off. You need something with porsche smarts to get deeper info - but as a 1st stab - get one on amazon, see if it tells you anything useful and then perhaps consider whether it's "suitable for purpose and return it" - or keep it in the glove box.

More money you spend - smarter the tools will be but as an example - I had a 2004 Toyota corolla from new, after 4 years it threw a CEL - toyota charged me 80 quid to read the code and turn out the light - diagnosing the "lamda sensor" and telling me £400 or your cat will self destruct. I figured the light would trigger again if it was a real problem, it did - about once every 18 months, for 200K miles - the car never had an MOT issue for emissions and a mate is stil running that car - again - no issues and orignal exhaust and cat still in place.

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Get a cheapy OBD reader from amazon, less than £20 will tell you the basics. Without one its pure guess work.

As a quick fix, disconnect the battery for 20mins to clear the memory 

Thanks, I will invest in one.  Never realised you could pick one up that cheap!

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

CEL is pretty much "emissions related" - can be triggered by misfires and things like that, if its working well and fluids are good then it's probably something going out of spec....

The key word is "something" - you need to know what the underlying codes are - for a CEL on a 986 likely a 20 quid amazon code reader ( autel is good ) will tell you, and once you know what it is/was - will likely be able to turn it off. You need something with porsche smarts to get deeper info - but as a 1st stab - get one on amazon, see if it tells you anything useful and then perhaps consider whether it's "suitable for purpose and return it" - or keep it in the glove box.

More money you spend - smarter the tools will be but as an example - I had a 2004 Toyota corolla from new, after 4 years it threw a CEL - toyota charged me 80 quid to read the code and turn out the light - diagnosing the "lamda sensor" and telling me £400 or your cat will self destruct. I figured the light would trigger again if it was a real problem, it did - about once every 18 months, for 200K miles - the car never had an MOT issue for emissions and a mate is stil running that car - again - no issues and orignal exhaust and cat still in place.

Thanks for your detailed reply and advice :).  Some food for thought there and as above, I'll invest in an OBD reader.

You could get this one offer£45 they did an offer for me. 
this will do all your cars and do all sorts of extra stuff. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266496774025?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=c5-dGA7sSwe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=qe3foFzRQKm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

You could get this one offer£45 they did an offer for me. 
this will do all your cars and do all sorts of extra stuff. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266496774025?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=c5-dGA7sSwe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=qe3foFzRQKm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Ah, I've ordered one off Amazon now and will be here tomorrow.  Thanks though! 👍

once it arrives, read the codes, make a note/take a picture and then try to clear/delete them. You will likely see "loads" not all codes trigger a light - some keep an internal counter of how may times it's happened before a "good thing" happens, some will have been there for 10 years plus. This is normal. Post what you find initially and what (if any) come back.

This is what dealers do, read, note, clear and see what comes back, the ones that come back are the ones to look at.

Post what you find - there are some docs available that describe "what the computer thinks" but pretty sure someone on here will have real world experience or input into  what you find. remember codes are the computer(s) saying "something doesn't look quite right - it might be important" - it's often not definitive... bit like when Windows says " contact your systems administrator"

Key thing is its running fine, no new noises, smells or issues and the fluids are good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

once it arrives, read the codes, make a note/take a picture and then try to clear/delete them. You will likely see "loads" not all codes trigger a light - some keep an internal counter of how may times it's happened before a "good thing" happens, some will have been there for 10 years plus. This is normal. Post what you find initially and what (if any) come back.

This is what dealers do, read, note, clear and see what comes back, the ones that come back are the ones to look at.

Post what you find - there are some docs available that describe "what the computer thinks" but pretty sure someone on here will have real world experience or input into  what you find. remember codes are the computer(s) saying "something doesn't look quite right - it might be important" - it's often not definitive... bit like when Windows says " contact your systems administrator"

Key thing is its running fine, no new noises, smells or issues and the fluids are good.

Great advice, thank you Paul, I will do that. 😊👍

10 hours ago, Schuey said:

Hi,

No, it wasn't raining but it was quite windy and felt the cross wind a few times.

Possibly not moisture in fine cracks in old coil packs causing a misfire...  Investing an a basic OBD is a good starting point.  Look forward to red in what it tells you.

I'll have £5 on it being Code P2096 (Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1), for no other reason apart from that's what mine did randomly out of the blue on a windy day.

I still don't know what it means but it's running fine.

8 hours ago, kdh said:

I'll have £5 on it being Code P2096 (Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1), for no other reason apart from that's what mine did randomly out of the blue on a windy day.

I still don't know what it means but it's running fine.

Wow, very close, and a virtual £5 to you! :)

Here is my Error Code and message:

Code: P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System too Lean Bank 2

Any feedback on what might be causing this will be appreciated?

There were no other pending or stored codes.  I've cleared this code above and on start up it didn't reappear. Not sure if it will when driving again but will go for a spin later and report back.

Not sure if a red-herring, but I put in some Tesco 99 Ron fuel in the other day, could this have anything to do with it? Normally I have been running it on V-Power!

2 hours ago, Schuey said:

Here is my Error Code and message:

Code: P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System too Lean Bank 2

Any feedback on what might be causing this will be appreciated?

There were no other pending or stored codes.  I've cleared this code above and on start up it didn't reappear. Not sure if it will when driving again but will go for a spin later and report back.

Not sure if a red-herring, but I put in some Tesco 99 Ron fuel in the other day, could this have anything to do with it? Normally I have been running it on V-Power!

987 doc but close enough...

P2098

Lambda correction downstream, bank 1 – rich/lean control limit exceeded

NOTE

Diagnosis detects a deviation between the lambda value measured by the oxygen sensor upstream and the value measured by the oxygen sensor

downstream.

The deviation is eliminated through adaptation, a fault is only set once the adaptation limits are exceeded.

The most common fault cause is a leakage between the two oxygen sensors, resulting in the sensor downstream measuring more residual oxygen

in the exhaust than the sensor upstream.

Diagnostic conditions

Engine running

Oxygen sensing upstream active

No faults detected for oxygen sensor or oxygen sensor heater up and downstream

No fault for secondary air injection, catalytic converter or tank vent entered

Possible fault causes

Leakage in exhaust system between the two oxygen sensors

Oxygen sensor upstream faulty (contaminated/aged)

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

On a 986 that is 20+ years old - exhaust leak is most likely cause if you are still on the original system.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Schuey said:

Many thanks.

The odds were actually 500-1 so you owe me a bit more. 

Clear the code, see if it comes back. Mine didn't. I still don't know what it means!

• Like 1

Thanks all for your valuable information and replies, really appreciate the quick responses by you all.  What a lovely forum! :)

After clearing the code, I went out for a 20 min drive, got the car up to temp, gave it a few beans and touch wood, all good so far. 🙏

I'll keep an eye on it and keep you posted.  Not sure if it's the original exhaust system.  Back box looks original to me though. Bit of a coincidence that kdh and I both had the same error code during high winds.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Schuey said:

Bit of a coincidence that kdh and I both had the same error code during high winds.

I'd say that's a complete coincidence and not root cause.

It'll be an exhaust leak or an ageing sensor (the latter potentially explaining the intermittent nature).

Leaks don't tend to heal up. 

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

file in the "maybe one day need to fix that" box. I would suggest an exhaust leak or the upstream sensor having a "senior moment" as above. 

Don't need to fix it if it stays away.

And yeah.... 

2 hours ago, Schuey said:

What a lovely forum! :)

it is....

thanks for following up with the info - we love a good "fault/ghost hunt" almost as "helping (tm) you spend your money"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

I'd say that's a complete coincidence and not root cause.

It'll be an exhaust leak or an ageing sensor (the latter potentially explaining the intermittent nature).

Leaks don't tend to heal up. 

18 minutes ago, Paul P said:

file in the "maybe one day need to fix that" box. I would suggest an exhaust leak or the upstream sensor having a "senior moment" as above. 

Don't need to fix it if it stays away.

And yeah.... 

it is....

thanks for following up with the info - we love a good "fault/ghost hunt" almost as "helping (tm) you spend your money"

Thank you gentlemen.  I've made a note of it and when I get some time off work I was planning to take it to a reputable indie in the West Midlands where I'm based for a health check.  I was thinking of taking it to Zuffenhaus, but happy to take recommendations if you know of any other options too around my region. 👍