987.2 Boxster 2.9, mid-way creaking noise

318touring

Only when the roof is down.

Noise is coming from the roof cover area behind the driver, I think, and it is continually creaking when the car is moving.  

I have put the roof up, and the noise disappeared.

Roof down but car is not moving, no noise.

Roof down, car idling, and trying to push the car up and down, no noise.

I thought some of suspension components are in their way out but in the annual mandatory vehicle check (like MOT test in the UK), nothing has been flagged as an issue.

Has anyone had this issue in the past?  Quite difficult to figure out what is causing this as the car needs be moving, and someone is actively checking that specific area.  Also quite difficult to record because of its location and the need to be on the move.

Maybe lubricate the moving parts of the hood.  When stowed they are not under tension or in compression as they are when the hood is up.  I found this on Rennlist:

How to properly maintain convertible top - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

I would go with a full lube with the appropriate ptfe/dry lube on every moving surface of both roof and clamshell mechanisms and then see if it stops or changes - creaking is typically rubber going dry but I would take the opportunity to do it all.

I suspect it might be coming from the 3rd brake light.

It looks like it's been replaced especially its connector is not the standard connector.  The top of the brake light is 'flaking' and I've put some black duct tape to stop further deterioration.  I then applied Gummi Phledge on top of the duct tape.  

Will report back tomorrow on whether that fixes the issue as it's already evening right now, not keen to drive around in the cold.