Speedo / Cluster Swap

Christopher2110

Morning all!

After a long winter, I've remembered I've still got the issue of a speedo that doesn't work! :( After being heavy handed removing the dial fascias and buggering things up I no longer know how fast I am going! 

In an attempt for a temporary quick fix, is it possible to swap out the whole cluster? Something like THIS ?
I have a 2003 S so I understand it needs to be a 2002-2004 cluster from another S.

The mileage will not match but I believe that can be corrected by some programming. I have read that the stock radio will/ can lock out but I no longer have a stock radio.

Anyone know if it's a simple plug and play? Is there anything else to consider?

If you have access to a copy of the 101 Projects for your Boxster book, or go to the Pelican website Porsche Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article there is a swap to 996 instruments which would have to deal with similar issues.

@Richard Hamilton ??

2 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Morning all!

After a long winter, I've remembered I've still got the issue of a speedo that doesn't work! :( After being heavy handed removing the dial fascias and buggering things up I no longer know how fast I am going! 

In an attempt for a temporary quick fix, is it possible to swap out the whole cluster? Something like THIS ?
I have a 2003 S so I understand it needs to be a 2002-2004 cluster from another S.

The mileage will not match but I believe that can be corrected by some programming. I have read that the stock radio will/ can lock out but I no longer have a stock radio.

Anyone know if it's a simple plug and play? Is there anything else to consider?

Yes you can swap out the whole cluster to the one you have linked.

But you may to upgrade to the dot matrix cluster like the one in the link below.  Gives a bit more information in the centre display.

2002 PORSCHE BOXSTER S 986 - SPEEDO / INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 98664123700 #SLG | eBay

Have you got OBC?

Yes, it would need to be the newer 2002 onwards instrument cluster to match your car, not the one linked to which is an early model one.

Just now, ½cwt said:

Yes, it would need to be the newer 2002 onwards instrument cluster to match your car, not the one linked to which is an early model one.

Both types of clusters were fitted, the dot matrix ones were used with factory fitted OBC ones and segment display for ones without.

Just need to make the colour of the connectors on the back are Grey, Green and Blue for the facelift.

• Thanks 1

And of course 5speed (black) vs 6 speed (white) dials and tip and tip S versions too.

I have OBC on a segment display on a 2000...

I have a speedo from a later model than mine going begging if you want it. It's probably not going to work on your car but you can cannibalise bits that you need out of it and maybe get yours working.

I'll take pics when I get home so you can see what it looks like (all I used was the binnacle and I took the little plastic knobs as spares if mine should fail).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

If you have access to a copy of the 101 Projects for your Boxster book, or go to the Pelican website Porsche Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article there is a swap to 996 instruments which would have to deal with similar issues.

@Richard Hamilton ??

@½cwt Yes I have had a read and seems very easy, almost too easy. I then went out to do some more googling and some places suggested more coding/ fiddling was needed :( but you never know what to believe....

6 hours ago, Sanky said:

But you may to upgrade to the dot matrix cluster like the one in the link below.  Gives a bit more information in the centre display.

2002 PORSCHE BOXSTER S 986 - SPEEDO / INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 98664123700 #SLG | eBay

Have you got OBC?

@Sanky Yes it has OBC, thanks for the link :thumbsup_still:

5 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I have a speedo from a later model than mine going begging if you want it. It's probably not going to work on your car but you can cannibalise bits that you need out of it and maybe get yours working.

I'll take pics when I get home so you can see what it looks like (all I used was the binnacle and I took the little plastic knobs as spares if mine should fail).

Cheers! @RedBarediver Feel free to PM or post in here

10 hours ago, Sanky said:

Have you got OBC?

Can these be retrofitted to a 2001 2.7?

21 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

After being heavy handed removing the dial fascias and buggering things up I no longer know how fast I am going!

Er….. so heavy handed that you mashed the digital speed display at the bottom of the analogue speedo dial?

If that’s still working you may still have a speed reading available to you.

10 hours ago, Danncus said:

Can these be retrofitted to a 2001 2.7?

That specific part number in a 2002 onwards for a manual S with OBC.

There is a whole minefield for part numbers for there varying from the colour of the dial faces to with or without OBC.

I's recommend downloading the Porsche parts cat for a 986 from here and looking at sections 906-01 and 906-02.  For a 01 2.7 and to get OBC you need a 01- instrument set and M481, M659 characteristics.  On top of this you will need stalks with the lower stalk on the left side to control the OBC (and if you are going that far why not retro fit cruise control too, if you want it, as that needs the 4 stalk version of column stalks.  Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

A number of indys advertise retrofitting OBC and Cruise as a service if teh above info is too baffling to sort through, it takes a while to get used to the parts cat.

I have USA spec 2001 Boxster with 2.7 and manual transmission. Did not like the dials to be in Fahrenheiht / MPH readings, so I purchased 2003 cluster from EU spec 2003 Boxster with 2.7 and manual transmission.

Local indy reprogrammed the eeprom (??) inside the cluster. The eeprom had to be taken out from the cluster to be able to read and reprogram it with correct KM reading and also correct VIN info to suite to my car. Works like a charm now.

It was interesting, since I was allowed to look thru the whole process as he worked on my car's cluster.

He mentioned that if I would have purchased 'S' cluster, the work would have been more complicated and the speed dial (needle) would most likely not show the right speed.

51 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

He mentioned that if I would have purchased 'S' cluster, the work would have been more complicated and the speed dial (needle) would most likely not show the right speed.

Is that "for an S", implying the cluster is somehow more complex?  Or is it just saying make sure you get the right cluster for the right engine, which makes sense, eg redline/max speeds are different?

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Is that "for an S", implying the cluster is somehow more complex?  Or is it just saying make sure you get the right cluster for the right engine, which makes sense, eg redline/max speeds are different?

No, calibration of the speedo.  The scale is different between 2.5/2.7 and 3.2 versions.

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

So, just "make sure you get the right cluster for your engine". Perfectly logical.

... and transmission.  And range of model years.

Edited by ½cwt

22 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

@½cwt Yes I have had a read and seems very easy, almost too easy. I then went out to do some more googling and some places suggested more coding/ fiddling was needed :( but you never know what to believe....

@Sanky Yes it has OBC, thanks for the link :thumbsup_still:

Cheers! @RedBarediver Feel free to PM or post in here

Would any part of this be useful to you?

IMG_5191 IMG_5190

Edited by RedBarediver

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

That specific part number in a 2002 onwards for a manual S with OBC.

There is a whole minefield for part numbers for there varying from the colour of the dial faces to with or without OBC.

I's recommend downloading the Porsche parts cat for a 986 from here and looking at sections 906-01 and 906-02.  For a 01 2.7 and to get OBC you need a 01- instrument set and M481, M659 characteristics.  On top of this you will need stalks with the lower stalk on the left side to control the OBC (and if you are going that far why not retro fit cruise control too, if you want it, as that needs the 4 stalk version of column stalks.  Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

A number of indys advertise retrofitting OBC and Cruise as a service if teh above info is too baffling to sort through, it takes a while to get used to the parts cat.

Just to let you know I bought a 4 stalk from my OPC this morning for £298 inc. you might also need to get the stalk end covers, I swapped mine over and have ordered the cruise control one. I have seen them on eBay, secondhand for nearly £450 !

Got mine from a breakers getting on for 5years ago for £230 incl the end covers.  Bear in mind you can sell on the old stalks too, got £75 for my 3 stalk set IIRC to someone on here.

Any instrument cluster will fit, as long as it has the same colour connectors on the back.

But if you want it to match your existing one or upgrade to the dot matrix, you will need to check the images or cross check the part numbers.

This is my hybrid version

1VNE3RU.jpeg

Edited by Sanky

3 minutes ago, Sanky said:

Any instrument cluster will fit, as long as it has the same colour connectors on the back.

But if you want it to match your existing one or upgrade to the dot matrix, you will need to check the images or cross check the part numbers.

This is my hybrid version

1VNE3RU.jpeg

That's the 996 instrument upgrade then.

Just now, ½cwt said:

That's the 996 instrument upgrade then.

Yeah, but using the 3 gauges from the 986.

Would have like to replace the gauge faces for the volt and oil gauge, so it had the correct Boxster font.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanky said:

Yeah, but using the 3 gauges from the 986.

Would have like to replace the gauge faces for the volt and oil gauge, so it had the correct Boxster font.

I'd never noticed the font difference before in this mod, but at least it is symmetrical with the two outside gauges.  I guess keeping the Boxster gauges avoids some (or all?) of the EEPROM reprogramming and calibration/scale issues for the speedo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I'd never noticed the font difference before in this mod, but at least it is symmetrical with the two outside gauges.  I guess keeping the Boxster gauges avoids some (or all?) of the EEPROM reprogramming and calibration/scale issues for the speedo.

You still need to enable the oil and volt gauge in the eeprom.  But keeps it OEM for thing else.