981 Spyder registered Oct 2015

JohnSyn

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=64937&p=

After starting posting on the Spyder I spec'd in June its finally arrived. The previous post is shown above. I'll try to provide a regular update.

As at 19 October the car has done 225 miles and I'm still taking it easy, not exceeding 4k revs. Nevertheless the car feels incredible quick, quicker than my previous 981S, and sounds fantastic! I've yet to use Sport Plus but I understand this blips the throttle as you change down. I can heel and toe and have been practicing!

Next trip will be to the Experience Centre next Saturday. So looking forward to driving their Spyder on the track!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was always advised to drop the oil and filter after 1000 miles when I rebuilt any engine. The thought behind it was to remove all swarf etc that could possibly be present from new parts.

This was before the clean room style robotic car factories. But I still fee the mechanicals still have to bed in.

To be honest, I always over service and carry out preventative maintenance on my cars and thus for the sake of £80 (or what ever it is), I'd get Porsche to do the change after 1000 miles and request they inspect oil and filter for any metallic bits.

I'm sure others on here may well have their own thoughts.

John I'm with Patt on this one. it may be OTT but I had the oil and filter changed at about a 1000 miles from new on both my Boxsters and then yearly. For a couple of hundred quids it gives me some peace of mind. However I'm sure many will think it a waste of money :slap:

During the manufacturer warranty I believe you are in fact able to service the car wherever you like so long as it's within the guidelines of the manufacturer. It's extended warranties that need to be maintained by using Porsche approved service centres I think.

You are right Lurker, legally, but from my previous experience of Porsche I have a feeling they would be difficult if there was a warranty claim after an oil change by a non Porsche outlet!

I was thinking of not saying anything about this but as its a running report I guess I should include things that happen,both negative as well as positive

Got the car back on Saturday after the tracker problems. Gave it a bit of a blast, keeping below 4k revs!, and then went home

On Sunday morning I took my wife out in the car, as she hadn't been in it. Had a great drive around for an hour or so and came home. When I was putting the car in the garage a warning came up....cooling system defect, report to Porsche centre. I hoped it was a momentarily thing but on checking again Sunday night the warning was still there. I shot off a 'firm' email on Sunday night to the OPC. They rang me first thing Monday morning. Because of the fault they wanted the car lifted via breakdown and taken to the garage. So on Monday, with 225 miles on the clock, the car was taken for the second time in the 5 days I had it back to the garage via a breakdown truck. They rang me to confirm the car was there and again late Tuesday afternoon to confirm they had fixed the defect which, according to them, was caused by a vacuum pipe coming loose. They were a great pains to say this is not something they could have picked up during the cars pre-delivery inspection

I drove the car home last night and it's now got 250 miles on the clock.

As you will imagine I'm not pleased, even more so as I have not had the courtesy of a call from someone at the OPC other than the guy who I dealt with in after sales. I'm now contemplating formally complaint to Porsche GB and having my cars serviced etc at another OPC.

Happy days!

Another OPC may be a good idea. Don't let the niggles detract from the car chap...actually scrap that - you hate it, and are going to trade it to me for Molly and a packet of Jaffa cakes.

Sorry but a "loose vacuum pipe" would cause a lumpy idle and usually the ECU detects values out of range. I think all of mine have now been replaced by the Revolution boys. I can't see the connection between engine vacuum and cooling system.

In your stern communication to the OPC , I would request a copy of the work sheet. Not just for piece of mind, but to back up any future similar issues that may occur.

I was thinking of not saying anything about this but as its a running report I guess I should include things that happen,both negative as well as positive

Got the car back on Saturday after the tracker problems. Gave it a bit of a blast, keeping below 4k revs!, and then went home

On Sunday morning I took my wife out in the car, as she hadn't been in it. Had a great drive around for an hour or so and came home. When I was putting the car in the garage a warning came up....cooling system defect, report to Porsche centre. I hoped it was a momentarily thing but on checking again Sunday night the warning was still there. I shot off a 'firm' email on Sunday night to the OPC. They rang me first thing Monday morning. Because of the fault they wanted the car lifted via breakdown and taken to the garage. So on Monday, with 225 miles on the clock, the car was taken for the second time in the 5 days I had it back to the garage via a breakdown truck. They rang me to confirm the car was there and again late Tuesday afternoon to confirm they had fixed the defect which, according to them, was caused by a vacuum pipe coming loose. They were a great pains to say this is not something they could have picked up during the cars pre-delivery inspection

I drove the car home last night and it's now got 250 miles on the clock.

As you will imagine I'm not pleased, even more so as I have not had the courtesy of a call from someone at the OPC other than the guy who I dealt with in after sales. I'm now contemplating formally complaint to Porsche GB and having my cars serviced etc at another OPC.

Happy days!

seems like they sorted your issue out promptly.

things go wrong, don't let it spoil an otherwise great car.

perhaps your salesman is not aware of your problems?

I spoke to the salesman last week, on the first issue, and emailed him on Sunday. He rang me on Monday

And no, the car is still fantastic and I'm looking forward to years of ownership!

Off in a bit for my drive of a Spyder at the experience centre! I'l let you know what that was like!

And will double the mileage on my car with the journey! All good for running it in!

Back from the PEC. Although it was raining I still got to open up the car on both 'tracks'. The torque and the acceleration are noticeably different to my 981S. It pulls well from lower revs plus there seems an extra bit up the rev range. The sports plus reduces the need to toe and heel unless you are really going flat out. And the car seem marginally flatter through bends. All in all great fun and now I cannot wait until I've 'run in' my one to properly drive it!

Oh..and I drove the GT Silver with classic interior one. Didn't like the interior. The red leather seemed not to fit in with the alcatara. And I didn't like the bits on the dash and the centre console which were painted the same colour as the car. Each to their own though.

Sorry...forgot to mention....the Spyder at the PEC had the 918 type bucket seats. I was surprised to find how comfortable they were, and (for me!) easy they were to get in and out of. However, still glad I didn't spec them as without doubt they will wear quickly on the edge closest to the door.

Sounds like you had fun. Saw your car in the car park whilst on the Silverstone Tour around midday. Might have seen you spinning in the skid pan around the same time if you were in what looked like a Spyder. Also had photo of it too ?

Yep Matt..that was me! I completely forgot you said you were going to be at Silverstone. I was in the only Spyder out today ( they also have a yellow one but that wasn't used) and I certainly had fun! The various 'low friction areas', 'ice wall' and 'kick plate' really help understand how to control the car. Plus, more importantly, you are doing it all in someone else's car!

Might have seen you spinning in the skid pan around the same time if you were in what looked like a Spyder. Also had photo of it too

If it's worth posting, it's worth posting in this thread ;)

Went out yesterday for a longish run and the cars now done just over 700 miles. I am taking the advice you guys have given me and will have an oil and filter change at 1000 miles. At the moment I'm limiting the car to 4000 rpm but its increasingly difficult, particularly after wringing the neck of one at the PEC last weekend!

The gear change is really slick, its very short throw and the gearstick itself is a lot shorter than the 'standard' boxster one. In fact its barely more than the gear knob!

Archived