981 Spyder registered Oct 2015

JohnSyn

Have you tried OPC Mid Sussex ?

Bought the Cayenne from them and have also used them for servicing with few issues -- never had any experience of OPC Tonbridge but based I your experience (and the amount of money you've spent with them) I will probably continue to drive the extra miles to Mid Sussex

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive finally finished so will take it out for a few further' shake down' runs early on Saturday and Sunday. Trying to get to 1000 miles, and the oil and filter change, before the weather gets really bad. I'll then tuck it into the garage for a few months and plug in a battery conditioner. I'm half thinking of 'SORNing' it. Any ideas of drawbacks?

Drive finally finished so will take it out for a few further' shake down' runs early on Saturday and Sunday. Trying to get to 1000 miles, and the oil and filter change, before the weather gets really bad. I'll then tuck it into the garage for a few months and plug in a battery conditioner. I'm half thinking of 'SORNing' it. Any ideas of drawbacks?

I don't think I could even dream of taking a car like that off the road! Especially after you just picked it up!

+1. John, if you want to drive it down to my place, and park it in a frost and salt free environment, knowing that it will have regular use to avoid parts seizing and tyres flat-spotting , you can then fly back and pick it up say late March?

For you my friend, I'll waive the usual storage fee - just for BoXa buddies, y'know?

:D

Thanks so much Meno..what an offer!

It is the salt etc that bothers me but I'll see. I'm very lucky also to have a great daily driver!

What you have as a daily? I have a 320d and the Boxster keeps me sane when I have to do 500 miles a week in the company car...

Is there any way you can find out from the local authority, highways agency etc when and where salting took place? If they had an online map you could avoid those streets for 3 days or so...

Went for a long run ( 160 miles plus) and had the hood down for a bit! Its interesting, because you have to stop to put the hood up ( or down of course!) you are so much more on the look out for places to stop if it rains!

Will top 1000 miles after next weekends BoXa jaunt so will sort out an oil change. Still restricting myself to 4k revs but it sounded awesome today with the top down and sport plus engaged.

Not that long actually...it is truly is very easy. To open you hold the key in the open setting which, after unlocking, pops the hood and opens the windows, you clip the flying bits of the hood onto the hood itself (there are internal clips which once you know how to locate them are very easy to find), open the boot, put the hood in it and then close the boot.

To close its just the above in reverse.

Not that long actually...it is truly is very easy. To open you hold the key in the open setting which, after unlocking, pops the hood and opens the windows, you clip the flying bits of the hood onto the hood itself (there are internal clips which once you know how to locate them are very easy to find), open the boot, put the hood in it and then close the boot.

To close its just the above in reverse.

I bet Porsche engineers/developers have a good old laugh when creating the latest object of desire, then taking off all the useful things like electric roofs, auto wipers, climate, bluetooth, etc.

I think Fred Flintstone's car was a Porsche, yes?...

411883377.jpg

You are right..some of what they have done in the car is more a statement than actually of use.

Most people will add back in air con, radio etc. Fabric door pulls though......

But its such a great drive it accentuates the positive!

For me, knowing that I can jump in it at any time is half the pleasure.

My Boxster is a tremendous "stress reliever" and am happy to open the roof as long as it is dry and not icy cold -- which is precisely what I did on Friday evening last week whilst wearing a big warm coat / heated seats / heater on

• 3 weeks later...

Now done 1200 miles, still keeping to 4k revs. Lots of different advice about when to open it up more. I'm inclined to now use up to 4.5k revs and then, after 2000 miles, gradually open it up. I'm doing a lot of boring motorway driving to get the miles on the car but, each time I go out in it I come back with a smile on my face!

11 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Now done 1200 miles, still keeping to 4k revs. Lots of different advice about when to open it up more. I'm inclined to now use up to 4.5k revs and then, after 2000 miles, gradually open it up. I'm doing a lot of boring motorway driving to get the miles on the car but, each time I go out in it I come back with a smile on my face!

Those are the worst miles you can do.  It normally sits the engine at one speed, and the gearbox in 1 gear.  The engine could end up with a step in the bore, and the rest of the gearbox won't be meshing as well as they could.

The main thing you need to do is vary the gear your using, the throttle input, and the engine speed, without labouring or over-stressing the engine.  I'm not saying you do, but accelerating hard in any gear is not good until the engine is completely run in.  IIRC, Porsche say 1000km (600 miles) for breaking in.  With vehicles, I usually start with as slow an engine speed as I can (without labouring - maybe 2k tops?), for the first 100 miles, then increase the ceiling by 500 revs every 100 miles until I get to the rev limit.  I start using small, quiet lanes, and then gradually move to faster roads, as I can keep up with traffic.

thanks for this. Interestingly the Porsche iManual, albeit for a 991, says 2000 miles at a max of 4200 revs plus go on long runs. That's why I am confused by this! With my other cars, plus the 981S I had, I took it easy for the first 1000 miles and then gradually ran up to full revs. I suspect I'm being over cautious with this one!

I maybe wrong, but I'm sure someone on here said 600 miles.  What does your manual say?  Runs like Blackbushe are fine, as long as you're varying the speed.  If you want a hand getting it done, I'd be happy to do it for you, at a price. ;)

'Long runs' means allowing the oils to get up to temperature (gearbox and diff as well as engine).  That will be 20-50 miles, rather than lots of 5 mile trips.

Thanks for the offer!

My manual says during first 3000kms ( 1865 miles) you should; preferably take longer trip, avoid frequent cold starts, not race etc (!) and avoid high engine speeds.

I agree about the need to get everything up to operating temp. I'm always amazed how much longer it takes for the oil to warm up compared to the water!

And good point about varying the speed, etc. I do this, mainly out of necessity on our very crowded roads!

3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Thanks for the offer!

My manual says during first 3000kms ( 1865 miles) you should; preferably take longer trip, avoid frequent cold starts, not race etc (!) and avoid high engine speeds.

I agree about the need to get everything up to operating temp. I'm always amazed how much longer it takes for the oil to warm up compared to the water!

And good point about varying the speed, etc. I do this, mainly out of necessity on our very crowded roads!

That's exactly what my manual says. It's a bit ambiguous really, what do they class as high engine speed - 3500, 4000, 5000, 5500?

I'm up to 830 miles now. I was trying to keep to 3500rpm for the first 500 and then 4000rpm up to 1000miles as suggested on here, all the time varying the gears being used (no hardship really, I just can't get enough of the sound during the down shift!). I'm going to book an oil and filter change for the next week or so as I'll be at 1000 miles by then. Then, again as suggested on here, it'll be up to 4500rpm until 1500miles then 5000rpm until 2000 then start opening her up!

4 hours ago, Araf said:

Those are the worst miles you can do.  It normally sits the engine at one speed, and the gearbox in 1 gear.  The engine could end up with a step in the bore, and the rest of the gearbox won't be meshing as well as they could.

This might be a stupid question but why would a step in the bore develop because of constant rev speed? The piston travel can't vary with engine speed so how does the wear pattern vary?

Archived