981 Spyder registered Oct 2015

JohnSyn

On 12 July 2016 at 10:03 AM, Buzzfox said:

We've got a sound meter at work but it's not calibrated so I don't know how accurate it is. In any case there's not much I can do about it at this stage!

You say the Spyder was 102 with PSE off but did you have it tested or run with PSE on? I've read a few times that PSE keeps the low rev noise down (and suppresses the pops and bangs on the overrun) but at high revs and wide open throttle the valves open regardless of setting so switching it off on track potentially won't make much difference.

Hi

the car wasn't tested with PSE as it was at the limit without the PSE and both the track staff and the guy giving me tuition said not to put it on as I'd be black flagged. The exhaust noise from mine is definitely louder with the PSE on. 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12 July 2016 at 0:02 PM, Menoporsche said:

Buzzfox, can you get there a few days early and check? I remember stories about Bedford being extremely strict with sound levels.

John, for the sample sheet - could try windscreen surround, maybe one or two other small areas.

Thanks Meno, good idea. I'm still in two minds and it will be handy to get the guys views on Sunday. 

22 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Hi

the car wasn't tested with PSE as it was at the limit without the PSE and both the track staff and the guy giving me tuition said not to put it on as I'd be black flagged. The exhaust noise from mine is definitely louder with the PSE on. 

Ok, thanks for the info. Not tried it yet but I guess you can still have sport or sport plus on and then switch off the PSE manually to keep performance but loose the shouting about it! I've had a quick test at work with our uncalibrated noise meter and with PSE on it peaked on initial engine speed ramp up to 104 and levelled at 101 (I think) and with PSE off it peaked at 101.9 and levelled out at 99.something.

Nice idea about getting it checked before the event but as I've already booked there's not much point as either way I'll have a trip to Bedford, have a noise test then come straight home! Hopefully it'll be ok but if not it'll be an expensive lesson!

On the second date I've booked, 15th August, there's a GT4 booked in - I wonder if he's having the same paranoia!

On 12/07/2016 at 9:03 AM, Buzzfox said:

We've got a sound meter at work but it's not calibrated so I don't know how accurate it is. In any case there's not much I can do about it at this stage!

You say the Spyder was 102 with PSE off but did you have it tested or run with PSE on? I've read a few times that PSE keeps the low rev noise down (and suppresses the pops and bangs on the overrun) but at high revs and wide open throttle the valves open regardless of setting so switching it off on track potentially won't make much difference.

Having had a sound Sur ey carried out in work recently the sound engineer reckoned the iPhone app is really accurate but the android one isn't.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, JohnSyn said:

Hi

Track day today and pleased to say I didn't get sent home! Passed the static test with PSE on at 99.9db but was heavily recommended to run with PSE off.

During the briefing they suggested potentially noisy cars should bring the revs up gradually around the meters on the first few laps so they could warn us with the 'Noise' board if we got with 1db of the limit.

On my third run I got 2 warnings and judging by the position I got the warning I think the meter by turn 1 was the problem - full beans out of a hairpin. I short shifted through there after that and got a couple more warnings during the rest of the day but no sending home. Full marks to the organisers and marshals for showing the warnings and giving us a chance rather than just waiting for cars to trigger the limit to get rid of them.

What a day and WHAT A CAR!!!

On 23 July 2016 at 10:34 PM, Buzzfox said:

Track day today and pleased to say I didn't get sent home! Passed the static test with PSE on at 99.9db but was heavily recommended to run with PSE off.

During the briefing they suggested potentially noisy cars should bring the revs up gradually around the meters on the first few laps so they could warn us with the 'Noise' board if we got with 1db of the limit.

On my third run I got 2 warnings and judging by the position I got the warning I think the meter by turn 1 was the problem - full beans out of a hairpin. I short shifted through there after that and got a couple more warnings during the rest of the day but no sending home. Full marks to the organisers and marshals for showing the warnings and giving us a chance rather than just waiting for cars to trigger the limit to get rid of them.

What a day and WHAT A CAR!!!

Great news...they are great on a circuit arent they!

• 1 month later...

Had a track day on Thursday, or rather  a driver training day, at North Weald Airport with Car Limits. Thanks Patt for recommending them they were great and the instructor, Mark, was a really good guy. Small world that it is I had met him before at the Porsche Experience Centre where he also works as an instructor!

I so enjoyed it, where there were four of us receiving tuition for the whole day and, inevitably, a bit of a race around at the end!

The car was fantastic to drive and its very clear has far more 'ability' than I do! I bottled a couple of things first time only for the car to sail serenely through them when I did them again! I had a smile permanently on my face the whole day!

The other thing is that North Weald has a great café that opens on Sundays and has the usual massive car park! I spoke to the owner who said he had a number of car and bike clubs use it and there was the use of a large room ( which could accommodate up to 50-60 people) if wanted. Food for thought for a future breakfast meeting?

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a 2300 mile trip to Europe with my local TIPEC Group. Went to some great places and really enjoyed the trip. Highlight for my wife and I was Austria and the Stelvio pass. Back up France, yesterday, via Route Napoleon.

Got some pics of car in Austria and will try to post some later.

Got nicked for speeding in Italy....' This is not Monza!'... and was going to be nicked for other things but their PC  wouldn't work and he could only be arsed to write out my speeding ticket! A result as far as I'm concerned!

The car performed so well and racing up and down hairpin bends really suits the car other than being very low at the front. I'm probably going to have to replace the rubber part of the front splitter.

So...car now done 6300 miles and will be a year old next week! Still loving it!

36 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Just back from a 2300 mile trip to Europe with my local TIPEC Group. Went to some great places and really enjoyed the trip. Highlight for my wife and I was Austria and the Stelvio pass. Back up France, yesterday, via Route Napoleon.

Got some pics of car in Austria and will try to post some later.

Got nicked for speeding in Italy....' This is not Monza!'... and was going to be nicked for other things but their PC  wouldn't work and he could only be arsed to write out my speeding ticket! A result as far as I'm concerned!

The car performed so well and racing up and down hairpin bends really suits the car other than being very low at the front. I'm probably going to have to replace the rubber part of the front splitter.

So...car now done 6300 miles and will be a year old next week! Still loving it!

I also just got back on Tuesday from a trip around the French/Italian Alps (though our last few days were away from the Alps in southern France so I doubt if we were in the same place at the same time). This was our second trip this year in the 981S - between this one and June (Switzerland/Austria/Italy) we drove all of the highest 50 passes in the Alps and although I'd only tried to include the paved ones, it did include a few ropey ones particularly on the Italian side of the French border and I grounded the front and the underside several times - I thought at the time that I was glad I didn't have the GTS spoiler (I presume yours is the same as that or even lower?)

The 981 is even better than my 986 was for passing slower-moving traffic on the mountain roads, I can only imagine what it was like in yours!

I'm intrigued what else the Italian cop was going to do you for? :whistle:

5 hours ago, Jon61 said:

I also just got back on Tuesday from a trip around the French/Italian Alps (though our last few days were away from the Alps in southern France so I doubt if we were in the same place at the same time). This was our second trip this year in the 981S - between this one and June (Switzerland/Austria/Italy) we drove all of the highest 50 passes in the Alps and although I'd only tried to include the paved ones, it did include a few ropey ones particularly on the Italian side of the French border and I grounded the front and the underside several times - I thought at the time that I was glad I didn't have the GTS spoiler (I presume yours is the same as that or even lower?)

The 981 is even better than my 986 was for passing slower-moving traffic on the mountain roads, I can only imagine what it was like in yours!

I'm intrigued what else the Italian cop was going to do you for? :whistle:

Hi Jon

Yes...the Spyder is 20mm lower other 981s, including to GTS, unless they have the lowered suspension fitted. As you say though...great for overtaking cars on mountain roads!

My other 'alleged' offences were; crossing a double white line and not having appropriate documentation ( I left the V5C at home..idiot that I am!) .What was interesting, in regard to the V5C, was that they appeared to be able to check on the DVLA site to make sure it was my car and insured.

29 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

My other 'alleged' offences were; crossing a double white line and not having appropriate documentation ( I left the V5C at home..idiot that I am!) .What was interesting, in regard to the V5C, was that they appeared to be able to check on the DVLA site to make sure it was my car and insured.

I got an on-the-spot fine for overtaking over a solid white line in France many years ago (a totally cynical money-making exercise on their part given the road layout at the particular location; they were lining up a steady stream of cars to fine that afternoon - I think their Christmas party must have been just coming up), but I'm surprised that anyone in Italy even recognises that it's an offence!

• 2 weeks later...

Now had the car a year, picked up on 14th October 2015, and have done 6500 miles in it. From what I can work out it was one of the first customer cars into the UK and circa 220 Spyders have come to the UK.

It is truly epic to drive and I am still very much enjoying driving it. As reported above I recently did a 2500 mile trip around Europe and the car was just perfect for this trip, comfortable but just made for the roads!

On 15/10/2016 at 5:33 AM, JohnSyn said:

Now had the car a year, picked up on 14th October 2015, and have done 6500 miles in it. From what I can work out it was one of the first customer cars into the UK and circa 220 Spyders have come to the UK.

It is truly epic to drive and I am still very much enjoying driving it. As reported above I recently did a 2500 mile trip around Europe and the car was just perfect for this trip, comfortable but just made for the roads!

I feel the same after 6,000 miles/November 2015. They are incredible on the mountain passes, giving the feeling "how could this be much better?". The closest I've got to a keeper.

Photos by Will Aron 

29637767574_22989c590c_o.jpg

29971694350_349ca73d7e_o.jpg

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, Lurker said:

I feel the same after 6,000 miles/November 2015. They are incredible on the mountain passes, giving the feeling "how could this be much better?". The closest I've got to a keeper.

:D

And great pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Had the annual oil and filter changed by the OPC today plus the battery on the tracker failed this morning so changed the battery on that!

Shelved the idea of wrapping the car, at least for now. Just a thought, but only that!, that if I do keep the car long term ( and whilst I one of those that's always looking for the next thing I just love this car so odds are its a keeper!) it might be nice in a couple of years time to have the car wrapped in a very different colour. 3m do a fantastic range....maybe the darkish red ( like Porsche Carmine Red) or the burnt orange. Something not silver and a bit different!

24 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Had the annual oil and filter changed by the OPC today plus the battery on the tracker failed this morning so changed the battery on that!

Stunning car @JohnSyn 

was it the tracker fob your talking about? Or tracker battery?????

I know the fob batteries last a year or so and ive been caught out before now, setting off the alarms and Vodaphone calling to confirm the cars not been stolen :laugh: so i now set an alarm on a yearly basis to go off a month before to replace the fob batteries.

Archived