981 Spyder registered Oct 2015

JohnSyn

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Builder Darren said:

Just seen a spyder on a website listed at 89k

I think there has been a few at that sort of price. Its a shame, a number of these cars are being sold with delivery mileage, clearly they were bought to flip. Cars are for driving and enjoying and if you get most if not all of your money back when you eventually sell them then that's a bonus.

agreed BUT there is a case for buying a Spyder (or something similar) and making enough money on it to get you into something either more mundane for cash/with less finance or stepping up further by using the profit to get your there...

That said to have a car like that and be sensible with the mileage and get your money back on it is another not so bad option too :)

6 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

agreed BUT there is a case for buying a Spyder (or something similar) and making enough money on it to get you into something either more mundane for cash/with less finance or stepping up further by using the profit to get your there...

That said to have a car like that and be sensible with the mileage and get your money back on it is another not so bad option too :)

Totally agree Stuart and it would be disingenuous not to say that I hadn't thought of your first option, and go up to a 991. However, there was no further consideration after I drove the car, albeit slightly less than I might because the time its been with the OPC!. Its such a great drive that your second option is the only one for me! :D

11 minutes ago, John T said:

She is beautiful John. Summer will soon be here and then the fun begins, in earnest :bana::thumbsup_still:

You are absolutely right John, I got the car mid October so this will be my first summer with it!

Took my car to Center Gravity today. One of the back wheels was significantly out, which they put right plus set up the car for a more neutral ride. As with my last experience with these guys, its amazing how much better the car feels now. Worth every penny. Only downside is that I came back through some horrendous rain!

2 hours ago, Duffy3074 said:

To have the rev range and not to use it would be criminal!

:)

Yep, too right! And the sound is just fantastic! Have to be a bit careful though...max revs in second is 'slightly' over the national speed limit!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great run out today, to the Goodwood Breakfast meeting. The car drives and sounds awesome! If you look at the Boxster section of the forum, Gutley filmed my car going through a tunnel at max revs! ( Spyders in the Dark). It was one of those times where the smile takes an hour to go!

I've also got, and put in, a glass windshield from Germany to replace the mesh one. I assumed the one I got for my 981S wouldn't fit and Kevin G kindly bought it from me. It turns out the windshield is the same for all 981s! So I've now bought another! Far better vision particular as the rear window in a spyder is little more than a slit! 

35 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Had a great run out today, to the Goodwood Breakfast meeting. The car drives and sounds awesome! If you look at the Boxster section of the forum, Gutley filmed my car going through a tunnel at max revs! ( Spyders in the Dark). It was one of those times where the smile takes an hour to go!

That would be this :

• 4 weeks later...

Not been out much since last post, although had a nice drive out with my local TIPEC group around Kent last Sunday.

Currently investigating having it wrapped. Was looking at a clear matt wrap but that isn't possible. Now looking at matt silver wrap, think the car will look awesome on matt  plus protects the paintwork.

3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Now looking at matt silver wrap, think the car will look awesome on matt  plus protects the paintwork.

Do your research on removing a wrap. There's been reports of damage done to paintwork.

9 hours ago, Boxob said:

Do your research on removing a wrap. There's been reports of damage done to paintwork.

Thanks. The guys I'm speaking to only use 3M products and they seem to know what they are doing, but I will ask about their experience when it comes to remove the wrap 

Some of the wraps look neat in the short term but with such a smart car.......?

Dunno!!!

FWIW John, I'd leave as it is, if contemplating a full wrap. However if thinking of a nose wrap to protect against stone chips I can see the sense in that.

Kevin

Saw a wrapped 911 at Soft Top Sunday on display with a wrapping firm. I think @Topbox was with me too. It was done in a matte style too. We both noticed some odd patches on the car where the wrap looked like it had 'gone weird'. Slightly worrying if even a display car can't be made to look perfect.

As for how it looks when removed, maybe agree with the firm that after a year or so they will remove one small section from a panel and if there are any issues you'll be compensated on the assumption the whole car has same issue. If they are not keen then I'd be worried about how confident they are. 

Maybe @Patt can add something about the quality of the 3M stuff. 

Thanks for the views and info.

I will do more digging. I know the guys I'm talking to are very good at wrapping for example they wrapped all the kiosks at the Olympics and wrap numerous supercars, like Ferraris. Its not so much wrapping, its more I think the car would look really good with a matt paint finish.

12 hours ago, Boxob said:

It looks really good already! Gilding the Lilly IMHO. That said I can imagine it in matt silver and it too would look good.

Yes I agree! It's just I'm one of those people who looks for the next best thing to do!

If they are approved 3M fitters then, if I remember correctly, it's guaranteed for 5 years.  (I think the list of authorised fitters is kept up to date on wrap your curves)

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/3M-/vehicle-wrapping/find-a-wrapper/

All the German taxis are wrapped beige and then removed to sell the car.  Equally we have 2-3 year old wraps removed from company cars with no issues.

I always think it looks better on the sportier car shapes, and would look epic on the Spider.  Don't go for the brushed aluminium look though - I think it looks too cheap on the exterior.

As for poor patches, that is usually down to poor installation, where the fitter as over heated and stretched the film.

Thanks Patt. To be honest its a firm owned by the family of one of my son in laws, who I trust implicitly. They are based near Manchester and do all the cars for the footballers so must be ok!

They are bringing down some swatches to a family do Sunday week, it you don't mind I might ask your view on them. The idea is to get close to the current colour.

No probs, If I find myself over the other side of the office, I'll try and borrow said colour sheet too ;-)

Keep in mind I'm away for the week of Le Mans, and in the sticks thus no tinterweb. (15th-21st June)

Archived