981 Spyder registered Oct 2015

JohnSyn

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

TE16I2EID0001_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about the hood but Porsche seem to have the issue covered without any drama.

Re the decals, in general I'm not a fan of the "go faster stripes" but Porsche have a history of the side decals and it looks good in the photo. its your car so do what you want and if worse comes to worse they should be removable. (Or at least I think that would be the case but happy to be corrected)

8 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

TE16I2EID0001_thumb.jpg

Better than I feared. Not sure I like the lack of symmetry between the front of the decal and the side indicator. Might work better if there was a stripe coming from the indicators instead.

Alternatively have it done on one side only. Then depending on your mood you can look at the car from either side. Since nobody ever sees both sides at once, nobody is going to notice the disparity :)

9 minutes ago, Gutley said:

Better than I feared. Not sure I like the lack of symmetry between the front of the decal and the side indicator. Might work better if there was a stripe coming from the indicators instead.

Alternatively have it done on one side only. Then depending on your mood you can look at the car from either side. Since nobody ever sees both sides at once, nobody is going to notice the disparity :)

Nice one Matt...and one for the fence sitters! I'm still in two minds and thanks for the comments from others too. I suspect I don't want to be a first adopter therefore I'll wait until I see a spyder, or a 981, with the decal on it and the  make up my mind. Not the biggest thing going on in the world...........!!!

I think the stripes only look good on specific colour combinations. ie red, white, silver and yellow.

I say for £23 get a set off ebay and fit them - they are easy enough to remover if you don't like them.

7 hours ago, Patt said:

I think the stripes only look good on specific colour combinations. ie red, white, silver and yellow.

I say for £23 get a set off ebay and fit them - they are easy enough to remover if you don't like them.

Are they any good Patt? I know Porsche charge a bit over the top but the price of theirs is considerably more! However, a good way forward as long as the can be removed with no damage.

Vinyl will be the same, and many have used the ebay shops for such things.  The usual issues with clones are still possible, eg measurements may not be exact etc.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the ebay jobbies, fit them and see if you like the look

(eg eBay item number 131716067365)

If you like the look, but not the quality of the stripe, get your hair dryer out and remove them. 

I'm sure there are plenty of "how to" on youtube, but feel free to call.

I even have an official 3M applicator card somewhere in the shed, if you've not fitted before the Breakfast meet.

• 2 weeks later...

The bad news is that I wont be in my spyder. It went in last Wednesday  to have the new roof fitted. It took over 3 months for them to get the roof and fitting kit. The garage discovered, last week, they needed another part and I was told, then, the part should be with the garage by Wednesday. I assumed they meant this Wednesday so I rang today to see when I could pick the car up. It transpires the earliest they will get the part is 21 March! I so despair with all this!

Just posted this elsewhere on the forum. Yet more issues with the car. It does take the shine off. I'm just about to email Porsche UK. Don't worry though, I shall not let you all have a blow by blow account of my exchange!

I think they should build you a new one - too many issues, poorly handled by OPC on this one.

no better still, I'm used to car grief  - give her to me John...just don't tell Molly !

2 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I'm just about to email Porsche UK. Don't worry though, I shall not let you all have a blow by blow account of my exchange!

There's a guy that moved to the Cayman forum, should you need any advice on litigation!  :)

2 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

There's a guy that moved to the Cayman forum, should you need any advice on litigation!  :)

Thanks for the advice.......I'm certainly not going to give a blow by blow account! Honest! And there is no way I will go down the legal route. Life's too short! 

Love the wind up though! 

• 2 weeks later...

The final part the OPC needs is now in transit from Germany and due to arrive at the OPCs on Tuesday. That means...( fanfare)....I'll have the car back for next weekend. They will, by the time I hopefully pick it up, have had the car over 4 weeks! I haven't had a go at the OPC as its not their fault a part has taken so long to come and the guys in aftersales have been really on the case and helpful. One of the drawbacks of having a Halo car I suppose. The good thing this has all happened before Summer! I cannot wait! And, honestly, I've not even mentioned litigation!!!

A funny anecdote; I rang the OPC on Wednesday to talk to the guys in aftersales who had rang me with an update. The poor women on the switchboard, obviously trained to do so, asked if they had my car. My response...you've had the bloody thing 4 weeks! Oh she said...and put me through!

On the Planet 9 site there's mention of a Fabspeed upgrade for the Spyder to 450 bhp. Are the warranty provisions different in the USA  or don't they worry!

For the avoidance of doubt...I'm more than happy with the power my one has!!

Archived