48hrs in with my new 718...

popstar

First proper post here and new to the Boxster so apologies if the wrong place to post..

My Reference points...

Wife has a Macan SD which she loves and is our family car for the weekend and that meant I could drop into a 2 seater for my daily commute ... it's gonna be a hard commute :D. my only other reference is a 24hr test drive in the previous Boxster model.

First of all the spec...

718 Boxster PDK; Agate Grey, Black Roof, Matt Black 20" Carrera Wheels, Sat Nav & Connect Plus, LED lights; Dimming & Folding mirrors, 64 Litre fuel tank, heated seats & heated multi function steering wheel, cruise control, light design package, power steering plus, isofix, sports seats plus.

The photos… hopefully this works...

Slide1_zpsrk8lyrqh.jpg

Slide1%202_zps3uegkqoy.jpg

Slide1%203_zps1jq6i7fg.jpg

IMG_1136_zpsrqprrfz8.jpg

IMG_1140_zpsn4qkwyjq.jpg

IMG_1142_zpswwbd2rjq.jpg

The Initial Thoughts…all subjective :)

Looks - personally I think it looks a lot more angular and the curves of previous generations are starting disappear; also the rear end seems wider and higher than before which gives it a really nice stance when looking from the front, and certainly seems to get the appropriate gaze from onlookers.

Sounds - probably the most read about element before I got the car; firstly I have the standard exhaust system, would probably have opted for the PSE but the option wasn't available for the first month’s deliveries and was going to retrofit it when it became available. HOWEVER - having now been able to hear it I don’t think I will, the sound when you start the car is really good and that stays with you throughout. A push of the sport button also makes a difference to the sounds even without the PSE for the times when you may want to make an entrance! I will probably change the exhaust tips to the black dual pipes but that is only to match the wheels and the black / grey look of the car and a lot cheaper then the PSE.

Sat Nav - this is a newer version than I have in the Macan - it is good but continues the Porsche theme of remaining fiddly - took me 30mins to work out how to store addresses into the default slots; but the google maps is good and purchased a three mobile 12gb data card and doesn't seem to be too data hungry. The 6 month free tracking and online service has gone that we had with the Macan so you need to pay from day 1 if you need it.

Speed - The speed is less immediate than the Macan and certainly builds after c2,000 RPM but i think this works - low revs round town when you don’t need the throttle response and when you do gets you quickly  over 2,000 and into higher acceleration. The PDK is great as ever and with the sport button engaged rapidly moves through the box and makes some lovely noises doing it.

Ride - I have opted for the standard suspension, it is a hard ride but not annoyingly so and the sport plus seats do hold you tight and can quite easily find a comfy driving position; also think as I have opted for the 20” wheels it will always produce a harder ride - but I am happy with the look :) 

Lights - The LED lights are amazingly bright and instant and the clever beam control really does work making holes in the light frame for other cars but lighting everywhere else. the rear cluster.. I know a point of contention but personally really like them the four spots look great - may go for a smoked version if they release one in the future but until then these are good!

An annoying thing…
Mirrors; I didn’t go for the seat memory option as I will be the only one driving it but didn’t realise you need this option for the mirror to auto dip when you put it in reverse which is really handy to avoid those curves especially with the higher rear end… looks like the wheel insurance may come in handy!!

Looks good, and will be interesting to hear more about the 718 in due course!

You can update you ride now :)

17 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Looks lovely.

Arch gaps look a bit big though, or perhaps its just the angle of the pictures ?

Anyway, enjoy :)

don't have the Active Suspension (PASM) so will be a little higher - think some of the photos probably make it look worse thank it really is; still feels low to the ground!!

Hi thanks for the first report on the new 718 sounds good.

Guvs.

Hi, looks good but then Agate grey is an excellent colour?. Interesting to hear what you think of the sound as an owner rather than a "professional" tester or even worse someone who makes observations without seeing or hearing the car in the flesh. I've driven all four variations of the 718 at the Porsche Experience Centre and the 718S PDK on a prolonged drive on a day out visiting Donington with Silverstaone OPC and find the sound acceptable. The acceleration of all types is noticeably better than the matching 981 though I found a minute initial hesitation in the 718S when flooring it but TBH did not find that in any of the cars at the PEC.

I assume yours is fitted with the wheely dial thing to engage sport, sport assist mode? What do you think of that? I liked the effect it gave to the performance but thought it looked an afterthought feature which lacks a quality look! Just my opinion?

Like you I think the shape is slightly more angular, but I like it.

Overall I have no doubt your going to have a whale of a time enjoying your new toy and look forward to hearing more.

Kevin g

First can I say how stunning it looks. Good job too as I have a 718 S on order in the same colour ;) . I have got a similar spec to yours with PASM, the Platinum finish on the wheels, adaptive cruise with the Bose sound system. My spec has to be frozen in the next few days as I believe the build starts next week. I am still wrestling with shall I go for the leather interior on the dash and doors. What's your opinion after living with the standard interior for a few days? I am really in two minds as it costs about £1200 more. What's your opinion on the standard interior?

I agree with your comments on the sound. It's interesting reading all the comments and it is true, it's different. Personally on the S I drove I found it fine but understand why some others will prefer the old flat 6. Given a choice I would too but in every other regard I found the 718 excellent.

Any options that you regret not getting or are you happy with the choices that you made?

thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, Willdairy said:

First can I say how stunning it looks. Good job too as I have a 718 S on order in the same colour ;) . I have got a similar spec to yours with PASM, the Platinum finish on the wheels, adaptive cruise with the Bose sound system. My spec has to be frozen in the next few days as I believe the build starts next week. I am still wrestling with shall I go for the leather interior on the dash and doors. What's your opinion after living with the standard interior for a few days? I am really in two minds as it costs about £1200 more. What's your opinion on the standard interior?

I agree with your comments on the sound. It's interesting reading all the comments and it is true, it's different. Personally on the S I drove I found it fine but understand why some others will prefer the old flat 6. Given a choice I would too but in every other regard I found the 718 excellent.

Any options that you regret not getting or are you happy with the choices that you made?

thanks for sharing

Bet you can't wait... almost 1 week in my initial thoughts on options...

Standard Leather seems fine to me - dash and other materials are high enough quality for my liking and don't miss the additional leather. 

Love the black wheels - well worth the extra in my mind and really set the car off.

Enhanced interior lighting feels like a non-option and probably would save the money on this option

LED headlights a must

Think I may have gone for PASM and the memory seats (if only for the dipping mirror which is annoying to live with out) in a parallel life but looks like you have PASM covered - apart from those I am loving it!!

Look forward to seeing your an hearing your thoughts...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived