Urgent matter - nowhere to put coffee

Djbox66

I know it's hardly important in this time of geopolitical uncertainty, but can anyone help with this one.

Looking for a cup holder for my 986, I've used the centre compartment before with the lid held up but tends to result in moccacino floating around at the bottom. Certainly missing my spring out cup-holders from the facelift, not to mention my glove compartment and glass rear screen... Times is tough.

I didn't realise the pre facelift didn't have cup holders! I was relieved when I found mine on viewing the car (which has had a facelift dash fitted).

for ease I would consider some clip on ones in our position.

They were an option on pre-facelift and fit in the same place, a bit thicker though.  They always get a good price on the rare occasions when they come up for sale:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-2-7-Dual-Cup-Holder-986-02-OEM-996-552-183-01-/231760562218?hash=item35f601882a:g:dewAAOSwys5WUHlh

TBH while I do have cup holders in both my Boxsters they are almost useless as I they don't hold cups, only cans or those paper things of overpriced frothy cr*p.

I want a manufacturer to fit a holder that takes a mug (with a handle) that I have filled myself with a beverage of my own making.

I bought one of these cup holders off ebay (you can get cheaper if your prepared to wait for delivery from Hong Kong etc) as the bike bottle I take with me on long journeys didnt fit in the holders above the radio (might be my driving but anything taller than a normal can ends up coming out of the holders above radio). Slotted the ebay one against the center console just in front of the passenger seat without having to drill anything & its stayed in place with out any bottles falling out of it.

2 hours ago, topradio said:

TBH while I do have cup holders in both my Boxsters they are almost useless as I they don't hold cups, only cans or those paper things of overpriced frothy cr*p.

I want a manufacturer to fit a holder that takes a mug (with a handle) that I have filled myself with a beverage of my own making.

So it can spill everywhere when you're driving like the car was designed to be :D

I've only used mine to hold cans (diet coke), so can't comment on their lack of ability. Sounds like you need a Travel mug with a sealable lid that you can fill up at home before setting off. Can always place it I your seat to keep the nads warm on a chilly morn too haha

lve got a pair of those that Southy posted yours for £50.00, saves you £20.00 on the eBay ones

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 5:55 PM, RickLS7 said:

They were an option on pre-facelift and fit in the same place, a bit thicker though.  They always get a good price on the rare occasions when they come up for sale:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-2-7-Dual-Cup-Holder-986-02-OEM-996-552-183-01-/231760562218?hash=item35f601882a:g:dewAAOSwys5WUHlh

Hi Rick, where does this unit actually fit in a pre-facelift dash?

(Apologies if it's a daft question, but I can't think where there's enough room...:huh:).

Cheers, Baggers.

26 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Hi Rick, where does this unit actually fit in a pre-facelift dash?

(Apologies if it's a daft question, but I can't think where there's enough room...:huh:).

Cheers, Baggers.

The replace the aircon control which you have to move to below the radio

this is what it looks like

Cup+Holders1327606261.jpg

14575d1307512142-cup-holders-cd-rack-bef

these could be an option

dualcu986.jpg

Thanks Southy, now I understand. I had no idea the unit was the size of a stereo!! And now I fully get why it wad such a rare option... :rolleyes:

Is the centre-console tray also an OE option, or aftermarket? I'd prefer it to the clip-on jobs, which I already have.

Cheers, Baggers.

30 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Thanks Southy, now I understand. I had no idea the unit was the size of a stereo!! And now I fully get why it wad such a rare option... :rolleyes:

Is the centre-console tray also an OE option, or aftermarket? I'd prefer it to the clip-on jobs, which I already have.

Cheers, Baggers.

Found it by googling, Suncoast parts - I think it's aftermarket

http://suncoastparts.com/product/411989.html

This is what the facelift cupholders and centre section are like, the bits in the middle of the two cupholders drop down (couldn't find a pic of a RH drive car).  This section may be able to be retrofitted to an earlier car, you see quite a few of these centre sections up for sale now.  Maybe someone can confirm if it's possible?

DSC035901334584879.jpg

It would probably be quite a lot of work to retrofit the later cup holders to the earlier car. The center vent would need changing to the flat bottom type and that has a different shape to the air inlet pipe. So you would also need to change the air distribution manifold and that involves taking the dash out, so while you're at it you may as well fit the later dash with a glovebox.

It's actually not that difficult & one of the reasons I did it was that the early cars had a really cheap and nasty plastic dash, like it was made from recycled drinks bottles. I did at first fit a leather one but didn't like it  so swapped it for a vinyl one, so I have actually done the swap twice!

• 3 years later...
On 6/11/2016 at 6:56 PM, topradio said:

Oxtail soup perhaps 😉  I use mine for a can of Pepsi Max

Archived