GTS goes bang...!

RBD914 v2

So, the OPC in Edinburgh phoned today with the autopsy report on my GTS...

Apparently it's down to a coil pack failure, which struck me as being odd on a 2 year old car with only 9,000 miles?

Anyone else had this problem?

I am picking the car up tomorrow and will ask more questions then, like why did it fail and are the other five likely to go too?

Anyway, the repair was FOC under warranty so can't complain - but whilst I am in Auld Reekie (Edinburgh) I am going to sneak a peak at that M4...

Collected the GTS today and it is as good as new, drives like a dream again.

The sun had got his hat on today in Edinburgh, so the top was down and the PSE on all the way home - awesome!

The Boxster love affair is back on track!

• 1 year later...

Well this is spooky! My GTS has just this afternoon had exactly the same symptoms. Having driven on that other great Borders road the A701 Edinburgh to Moffat last weekend I thought I’d do something similar today, and do Selkirk to Moffat via St Marys Loch. Set off from Edinburgh not a care in the world when all of a sudden on the bypass I get the self same messages!  Fortunately I’d not gone too far out of town and staggered back sounding like I was on about 3 cylinders. Cars done 8200 miles only and still in warranty so it’s an early call to OPC Edinburgh tomorrow. Perhaps I can amaze them with my suggested diagnosis which sounds remarkably similar to Original post. Wonder if it’s something in that Borders air??

181CAE5F-4B4E-434E-B97D-F3B58D8DB1DD.jpeg

5 hours ago, Millarman1 said:

Well this is spooky! My GTS has just this afternoon had exactly the same symptoms. Having driven on that other great Borders road the A701 Edinburgh to Moffat last weekend I thought I’d do something similar today, and do Selkirk to Moffat via St Marys Loch. Set off from Edinburgh not a care in the world when all of a sudden on the bypass I get the self same messages!  Fortunately I’d not gone too far out of town and staggered back sounding like I was on about 3 cylinders. Cars done 8200 miles only and still in warranty so it’s an early call to OPC Edinburgh tomorrow. Perhaps I can amaze them with my suggested diagnosis which sounds remarkably similar to Original post. Wonder if it’s something in that Borders air??

You can try but I bet they won't listen ;)

We had the same issue as both the op and millarman1 on our 2014 bgts last year. 

Unfortunately it's pretty common on all boxsters.  We also had the same on our previous 987. 

It's a relatively easy fix but dissapointing that such a common fault hasn't been sorted out by now so it doesn't happen at all. 

On 7/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, Millarman1 said:

Very spooky - what was the diagnosis?

Waiting to hear. In Porsche Edinburgh now and due to be seen to tomorrow all being well. I’ll update once I know for sure. Under warranty at least but still a pain missing out on the best summer weather for 40 years!!

Archived