GTS goes bang...!

RBD914 v2

So picture the scene, it's a lovely day and the sun is shining in Scotland for a change, my darling wife is away for the weekend visiting her Mother in Thurso and I'm home alone minding the dogs. The perfect opportunity to disappear for a few hours in the Boxster me thinks!

The scenery is a green blur as I cut through the fabulous Scottish Borders countryside on the deserted A708 from Moffat to Selkirk, I'm in driving nirvana with St Marys Loch gleaming on my right hand side as the sun bounces off its surface, life is good when suddenly.....

The dash lights up with "PSM Failure. Adapted driving permitted" , that's strange I thought, better take it easy and see if sorts itself out, next thing another warning pings up "Engine Control Fault. Consult a garage. Driving permitted" the little picture of an engine also lights up in Amber. Just as I'm thinking, "well at least driving is permitted", the engine decides otherwise and misfires badly with a sudden loss of power, I limp it to a layby and coast to a stop. 

At this point I am in the middle of nowhere. I leave it a minute and then switch it on again, it fires up fine, runs fine, no warning lights or messages. Just a ghost in the machine (did someone make an album with that title) thinks I, so off I go again whilst keeping a close eye on temperature and oil pressure gauges, all is well for 10 minutes or so when it does a repeat performance.

This time I pull over and ring Edinburgh OPC, he listens and says he will get Porsche Assistance to recover the car to the OPC, drop me off at home, then organise a replacement courtesy car free of charge while they fix it. Ah well, bang goes my guilty pleasure today then!

However, what a Fantastic service from Porsche I have to say, one hour after I have broken down the car is en route to OPC Edinburgh and I am back at home having a cup of tea with a BMW 5 series courtesy car sat on the drive!

OPC say they can't look at it until Monday, Porsche is closed then due to Bank Holiday, so if they need parts it will be Wednesday at the earliest before I get it back.

Well at least it's still under Porsche Warranty for another 2 years so no worries, these things happen. However it is ironic that after 40 years of driving and owning at least 50 cars or so, this is the only one that has ever broken down on me - trust it to be the most expensive one!

How sad does my baby look on the back of the recovery truck! ???

URL=http://s190.photobucket.com/user/RBD914/media/image_7.jpeg.html]image_7.jpeg[/URL]

What a stroke of bad luck!

I was admiring your car last weekend and who knows what's round the corner (so to speak) but first class service from Porsche and hopefully all will be fixed under warranty.

A sorry sight on the back of that truck :( 

Bad luck, but I'm sure it'll get sorted quickly once they get to work.  At least you had some beautiful scenery to admire while you waited for recovery. ?  I spent over three hours on a petrol station forecourt waiting to be recovered after mine misbehaved recently (Faulty oil level sensor =DO NOT DRIVE ANY FURTHER alert).  Porsche Assistance were very efficient. The delay was because the recovery company insisted on using a curtain sided lorry as the car had to be taken 80 miles to OPC Cambridge.

Do let us know how things progress. 

Sorry to read about this. I am sure they will sort it and you can get back to driving nirvana!

2 hours ago, Toeside said:

Sorry to here that. Hope it gets sorted soon. Wont be able to see the car at Porsches in the Glenn then :(

Afraid not mate!

However if the weather is good I might venture along on my bike, just to say hello!

2 hours ago, PEZ 9815 said:

Sorry to read your misfortune, at least it was made easier by the breakdown service.  It would be interesting to hear the outcome.

Thanks, I will post on here once I found out what the issue is...!

3 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Bad luck, but I'm sure it'll get sorted quickly once they get to work.  At least you had some beautiful scenery to admire while you waited for recovery. ?  I spent over three hours on a petrol station forecourt waiting to be recovered after mine misbehaved recently (Faulty oil level sensor =DO NOT DRIVE ANY FURTHER alert).  Porsche Assistance were very efficient. The delay was because the recovery company insisted on using a curtain sided lorry as the car had to be taken 80 miles to OPC Cambridge.

Do let us know how things progress. 

Interesting to know whether that's because they didn't want the posh folk to see a Porsche on the back of a recovery truck...

6 minutes ago, cj225 said:

Interesting to know whether that's because they didn't want the posh folk to see a Porsche on the back of a recovery truck...

That's what the recovery driver said!  Actually, I believe it was the recovery company covering itself against any claim that the car had suffered damage in transit.  The recovery guy photographed every panel and wheel (all unmarked) before he even touched the car.  

I will bet the car is lying to you and the systems are just having a hissy fit.

I had the same problem as Dan. after about 10 miles I got the message 'OIL LEVEL LOW, DO NOT DRIVE ANY FURTHER' (or something like that). Well I looked under the car and there was no sign of a leak and I calculated that the car hadn't burnt that quantity of oil without it all being over the back end of the vehicle. Of course there's no dip stick to physically check what the systems are reporting.

So I hedged my bets and added half a litre of oil only for the car to tell me after another 10 miles 'OIL LEVEL TOO HIGH, DRIVING PERMITTED' It then displayed this message on every journey for the next two weeks until I dropped the extra oil out.

It hasn't done it since. :rolleyes:

I would get the OPC to check for damage under the car, my neighbours GT4 had to be recovered a few weeks ago and there was damage to the undertray and front spoiler from getting it on and off the truck.

Rob hope you get the car back soon.

8 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I would get the OPC to check for damage under the car, my neighbours GT4 had to be recovered a few weeks ago and there was damage to the undertray and front spoiler from getting it on and off the truck.

Rob hope you get the car back soon.

Thanks for the tip, I watched him load it on and he was very careful to check clearances so should be ok on that score!

Hope it's something simple and you get her back soon.  The front spoiler looks to be the only part in danger as it goes on and off that flatbed - but if you seen it go on OK then it should be OK coming off.  Used to have a 5 series, lovely comfortable car - just not as nimble as the GTS!

3 minutes ago, John T said:

Now then Rob

That's a nightmare Mate but what great service from Porsche  :thumbsup_still:

Hope its an easy fix and you get sorted soon ;) 

cheers

Thanks John, I'm hoping it's just an electronics glitch of some sort! Probably all that rain on the run through Kendal, it's not used to seeing bad weather!

By the way can you email me the map of the route we took, I am down in North Yorkshire on the bike in two weeks time and may use the first half if the route to Alston. Cheers.

Will be interested to hear what the problem is. The A708 is a great drive but wouldn't like to breakdown there.

Will this incident persuade you to extend warranty and assistance when the time comes? Mine will be due about the same time as yours and I'm inclined to go for it.

Hope you get sorted quickly.

Really sorry to hear about your car but Porsche seem to have done all they could after the event.

If its any consolation, my current pride and joy had two rides on a transporter during the first week of ownership! I was despairing but I have to say now these are fading memories and every time I drive the car I have a very large smile on my face!  

5 hours ago, Nimmo12 said:

Will be interested to hear what the problem is. The A708 is a great drive but wouldn't like to breakdown there.

Will this incident persuade you to extend warranty and assistance when the time comes? Mine will be due about the same time as yours and I'm inclined to go for it.

Hope you get sorted quickly.

Re the warranty, the recovery driver said the recovery alone would cost £400, then there's 5 days free hire car that would cost another £500 - that's before any repair bill! So to answer your question,  Yes I will be extending the warranty when it runs out in June 2018!

Archived