72 grand

Rufus

So

saw this today, nice car, great options

looks mean with the new led lights, but wonder what kind of customers going to pay that price when you can do a 911 for not much more ( or a one year old one for the same price )

when they bring the GTS out I imagine a well specced ones going to be pushing 85k ?

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?cid=1

That link doesn't work (I think the page is generated dynamically from your search) but I presume you mean this one:

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=1ff15522f14d6e24bd7657edd15124f6&url=uk

2 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

nothing changed here really though is there....when I bought mine 3 years ago there was a 981S up at around £68k IIRC

I thinking the top end boxster and  base 911 prices are so close nowerdays, it's tricky to pick a new boxster considering the depreciation vs a 911. The prices have got so close this year it's crazy.  

Boxsters used to be 40 - 50 grand cars. They seem to now occupy the 50 - 70 grand market at OPCS.

merely an observation on the new stuff that's coming thru , GTS s etc 

...again nothing new....specced up 718 is £55k, 718S with less options £55k+, 2nd hand 2-3 year old 911 with a smattering of options the same 'ish...

all that really happens is the cost of all these slowly goes up...

IMHO it is easy to take the Boxster over a 911...it's exactly the choice I had 3 years ago...£60k on a new 981S with the options I wanted OR a 2-3 year old 911 with an older interior (997), 15 to 20,000 miles...an icon sure, but one with rear seats that are unusable, less boot space and a different drive to boot..

When I bought the 987 I wasn't looking for anything but a 911, but the Boxster was cheaper and every bit sufficient for my daily driving needs (we have a family vehicle already and the 911 was never going to fill that requirement anyway).

The way I look at it is this, a 911 of the same spec and age (I'm talking cars up to 4/5 years in age) is likely to cost you an easy £30000 more than the equivalent Boxster and does not give you much more in return if you want a sports car....

That is an incredibly spec'd car, but that's presumably because it was a market launch vehicle. Just for a laugh I ran it through the configurator and I reckon the new price now would be £73,732 = £50,695 + £23,037 (!) options. Nearly +50% on top of the base price for options - anyone on here ever spent that? (BTW those options didn't include PSE :lol:)

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHTRWR37

Advert doesn't state the mileage but I'm guessing that as the launch events were in April/May, the car is likely to be at least a few months old. So even assuming you'd expect to talk down the price in the ad (£72,400), it's still a laugh when you could spec a brand new one the same for only £1300 more? Presumably they're hoping some footballer or WAG is going to walk in and want to drive away in one now rather than wait for a new one to be built?

15 hours ago, Rufus said:

I thinking the top end boxster and  base 911 prices are so close nowerdays, it's tricky to pick a new boxster considering the depreciation vs a 911. The prices have got so close this year it's crazy.  

Boxsters used to be 40 - 50 grand cars. They seem to now occupy the 50 - 70 grand market at OPCS.

merely an observation on the new stuff that's coming thru , GTS s etc 

Some are more than £70k........

Think my 986 was £62k new in 2002 - I'm told more than the 996 of the same era!

It was the demo car for OPC Reading and has almost every available option fitted.

I guess for those that know how well a Boxster drives, and love roof down then then why not fit all the bells and whistles to that ?

Some people buy a car for themselves to enjoy, rather than to impress others.

When I had the 986 It was 8 years old but the original purchase price was 45k from 2003.

My car, purchased in 2013 was not as dear as that. However the 2003 986 was an S model with some  stuff like sat-nav, red seat belts, aluminium interior, and embossed leather seats.

As I always say on this forum (and people are no doubt bored to death of hearing it now) -

"It's very easy to turn a 40k car into a 60k car with just a few clicks of a mouse"

:D

The 718S and 991 are pretty much identical in terms of performance now so it makes sense for them to be a similar price. 

Some prefer a mid engine drop top and others prefer a larger coupe, luckily Porsche has the best of both :)

• 3 weeks later...

For 72 grand you could probably haggle a base-carrerra 911 with no options. The idea of paying the same amount for a Boxster would be a stretch that even the most vigorous application of man-maths could justify!

A 911 with no options is giving you a 6 cylinder turbo with leather and 19' wheels.

I have long suspected that some purchasers have absolutely no idea of what a newish car is worth and simply walk in to the dealers, fall in love with the car and pay the money.

I wouldn't pay £72K for that car but list on mine was £62K and while I could have had a new 911 it just wasn't the car for me. I like the mid engine dynamics, I like the roof coming off, I like the boot space. In fact for me the 981 is a better car than a 991. 

981 GTS price was 53,700 ish i believe. Now as a standard car is a great package, but then you start to apply options that if you never saw you would never want! You'll easily hit 10K in options, and it can carry on up to silly amounts, alot more should come standard with the Boxster when your start 40 to 50K. 

Archived