Are Boxsters selling?

Paul O

Any experience? I keep toying with the idea of buying another, and am watching the market pretty much daily for a 2005 model on the cheap. However, most of them are sticking around for months and months. That in itself it off putting as I wonder if something is wrong with them.

Is the market flat, or is it just the ropey ones that are sticking around?

Paul

There's plenty of scenarios to explain that. For example, too many sellers putting their cars on the market in the hope of selling before winter and too many buyers waiting for winter in the hope of a seasonal price drop. The mismatch creates a slow market. That said from threads on here cars are still being bought and sold. 

The car market is odd at the moment.

I couldn't flog one car (Renault) - no calls at all in a month when it was really cheap, yet my Boxster sold itself in under an hour on here.

Just bought another too, so they must be moving. ^_^

8 hours ago, Araf said:

The car market is odd at the moment.

I couldn't flog one car (Renault) - no calls at all in a month when it was really cheap, yet my Boxster sold itself in under an hour on here.

Just bought another too, so they must be moving. ^_^

Hi Araf, been away for a couple of months so missed the sale and purchase! What's the news?

Kevin g

I just bought one last week and had it delivered on Tuesday. I think the problem is that people overvalue the cars that have high mileage and low spec.

Well cared fore cars with low mileage, and full service history are hard to find that have an extra £2 ~ £3K added onto the asking price. People that are in the market to buy a Porsche are not stupid, they have done their homework and know what what to expect for their money.

6 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Hi Araf, been away for a couple of months so missed the sale and purchase! What's the news?

Kevin g

My wife reminded me last night, that you could have been away for a week and missed it. :blush2: 

Sold my triple blue MY08 Boxster S in 55 minutes, even though I only advertised it here, and then on Tuesday I picked up number 5, a triple black MY11 PDK Boxster S.  I'm just awaiting the logbook to change the plate to my own, then it'll be my daily.  I would be using it now, but car park passes etc would have to be swapped, then swapped again.

If they are priced sensibly they sell. There are loads of overpriced ones that wont sell. I keep seeing 986S Boxsters being offered at circa 8-10k. This is not realistic at all.

I sold my 986S earlier in the year within a week and the same with my 987S last week, but they were sensibly priced. The key to selling..be realistic, check what other ones of similar spec are going for, make an effort with thdescription and point out optional extras that are desirable... people might not even be aware that those exist until you say in the ad and take off the rose timted glasses.

9 hours ago, The_Baron said:

I just bought one last week and had it delivered on Tuesday. I think the problem is that people overvalue the cars that have high mileage and low spec.

Well cared fore cars with low mileage, and full service history are hard to find that have an extra £2 ~ £3K added onto the asking price. People that are in the market to buy a Porsche are not stupid, they have done their homework and know what what to expect for their money.

This sums it up for me, when buying a few weeks ago it was getting a well looked after car at a fair price that mattered most to me - after all a boxster isn't your average daily car.

6 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

If they are priced sensibly they sell. There are loads of overpriced ones that wont sell. I keep seeing 986S Boxsters being offered at circa 8-10k. This is not realistic at all.

I sold my 986S earlier in the year within a week and the same with my 987S last week, but they were sensibly priced. The key to selling..be realistic, check what other ones of similar spec are going for, make an effort with thdescription and point out optional extras that are desirable... people might not even be aware that those exist until you say in the ad and take off the rose timted glasses.

I disagree with the 986 statement having recently bought another and finding one for my mate soon after, having looked at quite a few (and knowing what I'm looking at) I would say unless your very very lucky you need to spend 8-10k for a good 986s 

although completely agree with your other points there's some very unrealistic sellers out there but then again there's some unprepared purchasers sometimes they meet ;) 

For the average person looking then an attractive price is mostly what matters. For a well-prepared buyer or somebody with some knowledge or ownership experience then they may place less value on the absolute price. People often think that a good polished car is a good buy with some stamps but that barely tells half the story. However, that is what the majority of buyers look at. There is a place for the 'premium' priced cars but the buying market is tiny. Not only that, when a handful of such cars may be available then they either look massively over-priced or they drag up some other pricing too (which then makes them look a bargain). For the most part a Boxster is a mainstream car with mainstream buying perceptions.

1 hour ago, Mogsmex said:

I disagree with the 986 statement having recently bought another and finding one for my mate soon after, having looked at quite a few (and knowing what I'm looking at) I would say unless your very very lucky you need to spend 8-10k for a good 986s 

although completely agree with your other points there's some very unrealistic sellers out there but then again there's some unprepared purchasers sometimes they meet ;) 

I almost bought a lovely 2003 986s with 75k miles for £7k earlier in the year and there were plenty of similar well looked after cars from good homes at similar money. Not sure what spec you were looking for to pay 8-10k?

The general public buy on mileage so low mileage 986's are expensive for that reason only when I checked last week something like fifteen 986 over ten thousand and twenty four 987 below ten thousand it was down to mileage 

And also the fact nearly three times as many 987 were for sale than 986

Agree it's mostly down to price, I've been watching 987.2S on Auto Trader for 6 months (yes I know it takes me a long time), and some that were on sale then are still now, these are all without exception the highest priced ones, often without many options.  I also see some arrive and disappear the next week, usually reasonably priced, with a good options. In that time only one has come up that has the exact spec I'm after at a reasonable price (I'm picky), I was on holiday that week and it had gone by the time I got back. (if you're on here I hate you!)

39 minutes ago, Dominouk said:

In that time only one has come up that has the exact spec I'm after at a reasonable price (I'm picky), I was on holiday that week and it had gone by the time I got back. (if you're on here I hate you!)

Yeah, well........sorry about that :D

Archived