How much can you ring out of a 986S?

bally4563

With all the available bolt on i.e 74 mm TB,

987 Airbox , stainless manifolds and a decent exhaust system, what do you think is feasible , just curious as to know how much Porsche strangled the 986? And that's without going down the under drive pulley and remap.

My 03 s (58k) had 265bhp on the dyno with all upgrade items mentioned accept the underdrive pulley, TB and 987 airbox. 

The 74" TB is now in (noticeable difference) and airbox goes in this/next weekend (supposed to be a pig of a job). Then back to the dyno. I suspect in the region of 280-285bhp. 

Anymore, I think you'd need engine rebuild work to chase that extra. 

I don't think you will get close to 300bhp flywheel with simple mods. The 3.2 in the 987 produces 280 and with similar mods including intake manifolds Berty has closed in on circa 295bhp. 

Worry less about the absolute number but more about the start and finish numbers. The gain is what's more important.

8 minutes ago, edc said:

I don't think you will get close to 300bhp flywheel with simple mods. The 3.2 in the 987 produces 280 and with similar mods including intake manifolds Berty has closed in on circa 295bhp. 

Worry less about the absolute number but more about the start and finish numbers. The gain is what's more important.

Absolutely.

In pub talk, 295bhp would be portrayed as "just shy of 300 brake mate". Not that I care for pub talk and w!lly waving figures. 

When people ask what mine is running I usually say 260-270bhp as I just don't know (or overly care to as I've not spent any significant money chasing horses yet).

I've re-posted this a few times before but here's an idea of what you can get and do for basic mods. This gets circa +20bhp. @Mark Shead on a rebuilt to 3.4 and correct me if the spec is wrong, no cats, ebay manifolds custom 4 box design exhaust, larger throttle body and intake (not sure whether 74 or 82mm) and standard air filter box is at 309bhp.

The 987 airbox is not the be all and end all. After all, on a 550 which is basically a late 986 engine with a 987 airbox it gets rated at +6bhp (or PS).

Where would you use 280bhp? 

Mine left the factory 18 years ago with 200bhp or there abouts. Probly lost 10% of that or more over the years and yet it still has totally usable power for road use.

if it's a number you're after, stick a hundred wet shot of Nos on your intake and claim 911 power. 

I had a 330bhp Lexus GS300 for up to 10 seconds at a time...?????

I was young and dumb. 

I was perfectly happy in an 85HP 914 and earlier Alfa 1.3L which had little more. To me the 200 HP of the base early Boxster was much more.  But no reason you should make the same choice. To each his own.. Your money your choice.

Have fun.  Be safe.

Archived