Bootifull

Mr96er

So, I debadged the boot and the epoxy used to hold the badge on was a little unsightly? Not the sort of thing 3M can remove... 

so I decided to go for a PORSCHE to make my rear end bootilicous! 

11F9DC96-0CAD-4251-96C6-FBDEFE7D6A5F.jpg A bit shiny, but I've seen worse...?

Glad you like it. Still a Judgement call I'm not sure on. Wish I'd looked at the wider spaced option first, but it's removable if I don't grow to love it. 

Looked wider spaced on the sticker and yet seems narrow once on the lid. ?

I do, yes......but......(isn't there always?)....I might have tried them just slightly wider spaced, not much......but enough.

Might be an idea to use a few dobs of  BluTak and trial space the letters and take a few piccies......then view them during the few following days and decide which looks more "comfy" on the eye.

It's official, the spacing is too narrow. The chrome is too shiny. If it's not spread at least a character width apart, it just looks wrong?D4153189-745F-48B6-933D-C731E96838AF.jpg It's time for a new boot.? Might as well get a front bumper while I'm down there...?

2 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Think you've cracked it, but not 100% sure on the curve...?

Another vote here for a bit wider spacing.... not sure on the curve, is it curved on the newer Porkers  ??

12 hours ago, Mike G said:

Another vote here for a bit wider spacing.... not sure on the curve, is it curved on the newer Porkers  ??

I think the newer porkers host it on the bumper not the boot lid, where it gets away with being straighter. 

I personally would have to have a slight curve on it and roughly 25mm gaps. 

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

I think the newer porkers host it on the bumper not the boot lid, where it gets away with being straighter. 

I personally would have to have a slight curve on it and roughly 25mm gaps. 

I checked my standard 'Boxster S' this morning, and it does have a curve, though not as much as the boot lip.

When I did this I used the "lollipop stick method" - it was a magnum blanco I think:D. I spaced the letters out 2cm using a small bit of said stick and another bit measuring 11.5cm to give the distance up from the boot lid edge. This also gives them the same curvature as the boot lid. I thought it looked pretty ok.

Can't get photobucket to work but there are pics of how I did it in my running report thread. The thread is on the second page.

My 981 has the "debadge" option, with just the P O R S C H E lettering on the bootlid.  The "official" positioning has 40mm spaces between each letter and the letters follow a slight upward curve, though not as much as the curvature of bottom edge of the bootlid: the gap between the bottom of the P and the E and the bottom edge of the bootlid is 73mm.  The gap between the bottom of the S and the bottom edge of the bootlid is 81mm.  I think this is done to make the lettering look straight when seen against the curvature of the bootlid.   If the letters were actually in a straight line, they would appear to be curving downwards, like a "sad" face.

Hope this might be helpful for anybody contemplating adding this badging to their Boxster. ☺

On 26/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, Loz987 said:

It's official, the spacing is too narrow. The chrome is too shiny. If it's not spread at least a character width apart, it just looks wrong?D4153189-745F-48B6-933D-C731E96838AF.jpg It's time for a new boot.? Might as well get a front bumper while I'm down there...?

I sort of like it but I hate that you can see the foam sticky tape on each letter.

Archived