What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, edc said:

I guess it was either stick as the coolant blew past or you have knocked it so that it will now always show the coolant is ok :

Either way am happy to get shot of the warning light - it is enough with the fuel one which is on all too often ?.

Had my first proper drive on Saturday, coming back from the lakes over Hartside. Engine was as expected, especially at the top end, lovely gear change, but the best thing was the handling!

sunday fixed the remote boot opening using a small chocolate block, as the cable had snapped, not sure how long it will last but working fine how.

4 minutes ago, Dogbower said:

Had my first proper drive on Saturday, coming back from the lakes over Hartside. Engine was as expected, especially at the top end, lovely gear change, but the best thing was the handling!

sunday fixed the remote boot opening using a small chocolate block, as the cable had snapped, not sure how long it will last but working fine how.

If you're using chocolate watch out when the weather warms up again as it might melt and ruin your good work. 

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

I have console delete and originally I fitted a sat nav mount on the plastic trim that covers the gap in front of the gear lever, however I have now moved it to underneath the dash so the sat nav hangs down rather than stands up. This has moved it further back and out of casual site and means I could wire it in direct if I was inclined, it isn't quite as easy to see as a dash or screen mounted system but I can live with that as a trade for being more discreet.

Yep, I managed to screw a brodit mounting bracket for my TomTom directly to the carpeted plate of the console delete. Nice and hidden, easy to glance at if needed, and no problems with GPS reception even tucked away like that. I will pick up a hardwire kit at some point and make a proper job of it.

3 hours ago, ed80 said:

Yep, I managed to screw a brodit mounting bracket for my TomTom directly to the carpeted plate of the console delete. Nice and hidden, easy to glance at if needed, and no problems with GPS reception even tucked away like that. I will pick up a hardwire kit at some point and make a proper job of it.

Great minds....

Arranged to buy the cheapest set of wheels in the country. £125 delivered for a decent looking set of S II wheels with N rated tyres on them. The only problem is they are white, so I will be repainting them with rattle cans and a deck of cards shortly after they arrive.

Just put in my new honeycomb wind deflectors I bought from @Kitt.

DSC_0420

Secured with tie wraps.

The picture is taken in the garage - I don't want to get into trouble with the driveway weed police!

@Sussexlad Nice; I got the perspex centre part from @K.I.T.T. too. I'm hoping that doesn't fly off as it's not as easy to cable tie in place!

Also, no weeds, but the garage could do with a little tidy! :P 

Edit to add: I can poke a bit of fun at a garage, but at the same time am very much wishing I had one myself!

Edited by mk1max

@mk1max Actually I had to tidy the garage to get the box in. You should see the other half of it - and that was after 3 trips to the recycling centre ?

What I really need is a shed to put the junk in but Sussexlass (or more accurately Yorkshirelass) has vetoed the idea.

Saw a bloke in a 986 on the dual carriageway but something didn't look right. As I got nearer I saw his roof was up but the clamshell was also up at the highest point! I felt like shouting 'I can fix that for ya mate' as I overtook him. ?

Edited to add I did feel sorry for him?

Edited by Sazzy

50 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Saw a bloke in a 986 on the dual carriageway but something didn't look right. As I got nearer I saw his roof was up but the clamshell was also up at the highest point! I felt like shouting 'I can fix that for ya mate' as I overtook him. ?

Was he doing 70mph and 3mpg! Perhaps he thought it was his pop up spoiler ??

45 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Was he doing 70mph and 3mpg! Perhaps he thought it was his pop up spoiler ??

It certainly looked erm interesting! I was surprised he was driving it to be honest !

13 hours ago, Sazzy said:

For no good reason, this is something that concerns me after seeing mention of similar somewhere. As mine's cracking on a bit I'm worried my roof/clamshell may stick. 

Is there a quick fix to get yourself mobile, or is it a proper knowledge, spanner and time job?

14 hours ago, LordGrover said:

For no good reason, this is something that concerns me after seeing mention of similar somewhere. As mine's cracking on a bit I'm worried my roof/clamshell may stick. 

Is there a quick fix to get yourself mobile, or is it a proper knowledge, spanner and time job?

I don't think there's a quick fix as such. Depends on the fault. If the clamshell is stuck up you could pop off the push rod arms and manually push it down.

It seemed odd though as it seems more common that it's one side that fails being the cable or rods or whatever, leaving the clamshell crooked and raised higher on one side than the other. 

Maybe his motor had gone and he'd managed to manually close the roof so he could at least latch it. 

Edited by Sazzy

Service today - took a picture of the engine bay when the air filter was changed.

DSC_0424

Nice and clean for a nearly 18 year old car.

Checked the oil filter too. Clean as a whistle but then the car has done less than 1000 miles since the last service.

2 hours ago, Sussexlad said:

Service today - took a picture of the engine bay when the air filter was changed.

DSC_0424

Nice and clean for a nearly 18 year old car.

Someone's been in there before and given it a spring clean. They don't look that clean after 18 years!

Wheel shimmy at motorway speeds was driving me to distraction, 2 attempts at local tyre centre improved it but still there, started to think worn bushes etc. Read an article on Pistonheads, chap was extolling virtues of a garage that used a Hunter Road Force wheel balancing setup, took my 986s along today, 1.5 hours later done, all wheels were off by some margin , shimmy gone, very pleased with results and would recommend if you have the same issue give it a try before diving into suspension component changes!

Today I woke up in my big car outside a very large Porsche graveyard

to get a hub for my little car..

drove 130 miles home with the used goodies and had them fitted. Test drivd was entertaining and made up for the fact it’s now raining! 

Now I’m selling this bunch of bits... 

Edited by Loz987