What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

24 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

I had a lesson/masterclass with @Patt in headlight restoration today. He is incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and very patient (he makes a nice cup of tea too). It was a pleasure to meet him and I'm sooo pleased with the results 😊

Before:

MjTCYqz.jpg

zpiOPmx.jpg

One down one to go:

3WubD6U.jpg

After:

oRm188r.jpg

Back at home after a quick wash:

YxmHTBC.jpg

Great job 👍 I bet they they are so much brighter?

4 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Great job 👍 I bet they they are so much brighter?

Yep! I haven't used them that much in the dark yet but they already seem to be a vast improvement 🙂

1 hour ago, Stewart_H said:

I had a lesson/masterclass with @Patt in headlight restoration today. He is incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and very patient (he makes a nice cup of tea too). It was a pleasure to meet him and I'm sooo pleased with the results

...and he's a packet of Jaffa Cakes heavier?

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Looks like a bonding failure of the compound to the backing plate.  What brand/spec are the pads? Have they been on track?

I've just cleaned up the backing plate and it was brembo!!!! :blink:

Picked up some pagids to replace and side by side the difference in wear on the old pad against new is negligible

4 hours ago, Sazzy said:

I've just cleaned up the backing plate and it was brembo!!!! :blink:

Picked up some pagids to replace and side by side the difference in wear on the old pad against new is negligible

Brembo might not be interested but could be a batch issue if you haven't over stressed the pads if you feel so motivated to try to contact them.  They won't be able to contact individual customers/users but could help with QA.  You never know you might get a free set out of them for going to the effort, that's if you'd want to risk them again...

@Stewart_H was this the usual sand back and re polish process?  How easy did you find it?  I have some clear lacquer overspray on mine from the PO front bumper repaint and would like to clean it up.  I have xenons so really don't want to **** it up.

59 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Brembo might not be interested but could be a batch issue if you haven't over stressed the pads if you feel so motivated to try to contact them.  They won't be able to contact individual customers/users but could help with QA.  You never know you might get a free set out of them for going to the effort, that's if you'd want to risk them again...

If I'd bought them myself maybe I would but I have no info on how old they are etc.

The car had new discs and pads on the front last year by me, all brembo, so let's hope this was just a one off...!

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Stewart_H was this the usual sand back and re polish process?  How easy did you find it?  I have some clear lacquer overspray on mine from the PO front bumper repaint and would like to clean it up.  I have xenons so really don't want to **** it up.

I used the 3M headlight restoration kit and had some help and guidance from @Patt. My OS headlight had some kind of nasty lacquer patch on it too which was wet sanded off by hand with a piece of slightly coarser paper (400 grit I think) than supplied in the kit. The kit was then used to refine and finish and the results are pretty good. I did press a little too hard here and there when starting off and marked mine a little (the contours of the lights make it a little tricky to control) but going back a step thankfully rectified this 🙂

34 minutes ago, the baron said:

Great Job on the headlights, it must be a trait of Porsche but my ambers are a slightly different color to each other too.

Did you buff those up too?

I think the ambers do look a little clearer and brighter but sadly the colour does not get restored during this process.  I have a feeling my NS headlight must have been replaced with a new one at some stage which is why the amber is slightly darker on that one.

55 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

I think the ambers do look a little clearer and brighter but sadly the colour does not get restored during this process.  I have a feeling my NS headlight must have been replaced with a new one at some stage which is why the amber is slightly darker on that one.

Maybe we should compare ambers to see if we can get a better match by swapping with each other.

Fixed the wiper delay thanks to @Richard Hamilton posting me a spare relay, that combined with a bent pin on the potentiometer straightened out has fixed an issue that’s been bugging me.

Also renewed insurance via Adrian Flux who were considerably cheaper than companies who advertise in the PCGB magazine supposedly offering PCGB members discounts, may be true if your car is stock and driven less than 3000 miles a year...

Edited by SDF1965

8 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

Today I switched out the ridiculous rainbow type headlight bulbs for some Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited ones 🙂

I have Nightbreakers for main beam to go with litronic xenons.  Both look blue white rather than warm white of typical bulbs. Only recently noticed that the litronic beams tilt up a few degrees when you go to main beam, nice touch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I have Nightbreakers for main beam to go with litronic xenons. 

Probably sensible. I used Nightbreakers for dipped beam, nice in theory but the bulbs last less than 2 years. Main beam gets so little use (with my driving) they should last a long time.

Mot for mine today, flew through with no advisories again! Result, noticed it only did 1200 miles in a year though , must use it more 

Fitted my missing OS clamshell/guide arm trim cover/splashguard. I bought it direct from Porsche Guildford for £24 (and some pence), used ones I found are on eBay for around £20 so I was happy with that 🙂

Went for MOT and failed 🙁.  Two small things, one fixed before I left which was side repeaters in de-ambered lights had lost their orangeness, solved before paperwork was done as there was a motor factor next door (this can be a contentious fail but to be fair the orange coating had pretty much fully flaked off the old bulbs), and corrosion on brake line around clip under passenger (left) seat.  Tester wouldn't let me pop it out of clip whilst in his bay in case the pipe failed but now just looks like some minor surface corrosion.  He's said as long as it is rust free when he sees it again within the next 10 days he'll OK it and issue certificate.  Also advisory on minor cracking in tread on fronts which are only on 5.5mm but are 5 years old...  PO only did 7000 miles in 9 years and had to replace rears for same reason last MOT so at least the really expensive ones don't need doing again yet...

Also 4 stalk column switch assembly arrived for me to start on cruise retro fit.  Any takers for 3 stalk OBC switch assembly?