What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Noise from the boot has been annoying me for a while, so I decided to do something about it today. Took up the carpet and boot liner with the intention of putting some velcro between the chassis and the boot liner as well as between the carpet and the boot liner. After stripping it all out I found these offending things. 

3Y9bygb.jpg

Anyway, job done and nothing moves or rattles. Also changed the air filter while I was at it. Oh and +25 pence.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, dieselpower said:

I've just fitted the under bumper air deflectors and rubber lips with new speed nuts and stainless steel screws.  Really simple job, only needs a PH2 screwdriver, 8mm socket and a torch 😀

Part numbers for anyone needing them:

Deflectors - 996.504.503.00 & 996.504.504.00

Rubber lips - 996.504.603.00 & 996.504.604.00

No.10 (4.8mm) speed nuts (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163062187617)

No.10 x 5/8" (4.8mm x 16mm) A2 flange head self tapping screws (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361063732473)

The plastics were £67.34 from OPC Perth and the fasteners were cheap off ebay.  You need 6 nuts and 6 screws.

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

Do these make a notable difference? Mine have been destroyed in a previous life 🤬

They will produce a small amount of drag, however they also help reduce the aerodynamic lift on the front end of the car caused by the turbulence in the front wheel arches caused by both the space around the tyre and the rotating effect of the wheel by creating a bit of blockage to the airflow under the car at the front of the wheel arch and a small amount of out wash to push air sideways round the front of the tyre.  This will give a more positive front end at speed, particularly if the car is accurately tracked up.  The small rubber lips at the rear will do similar and provide more straight line stability.  

Porsche wouldn't have put them there if they were only for decoration.  If it were decoration they'd have made them look more expensive and probably charge more for them...

Adjusted the handbrake, 2 clicks now.

Also started front speaker upgrade with plan to add speakers to the engine cover storage too, but having taken the original dash speaker out I have decided to get slightly larger speakers for the front rather than using the same all round so ordered up a pair of Pioneer TS1002i to go with the pair of TS-875 that will now go in the back only.  (Not done badly on speakers as both have come as new in open or damaged box, tad under £50 for both paris 👍).  Aiming to fit without cutting up the original speaker holder which seem to be the way most on line 'how tos' approach it.  I'll let you know if it works...

• Thanks 1

The front of our car looked pretty tired, so I picked up a new front number plate mount for less than a tenner for Porsche in Perth, and fitted that with new cutdown but legal number plates (465x112mm) from Demon Plates front and rear.  Wow!  Can't believe how much of a visual difference a set of new plates has made.  It's taken years of the car from the scabby dealer plates that were on it.  Well worth £35.

7 minutes ago, dieselpower said:

Yes, there seems to be less lift in the steering and the car seemed more planted.

Are these bits in addition to what's on the bottom of the wheel arch liner? 

Previous owner had an argument with a badger, so the offside wheel arch liner has the bottom bit missing, though I think the other side isn't complete either.? 

Just now, PaulQ said:

Are these bits in addition to what's on the bottom of the wheel arch liner? 

Previous owner had an argument with a badger, so the offside wheel arch liner has the bottom bit missing, though I think the other side isn't complete either.? 

I'll need to double check tomorrow.  I just noticed that the four bits I fitted were missing.

1 minute ago, dieselpower said:

I'll need to double check tomorrow.  I just noticed that the four bits I fitted were missing.

Thanks. I've never really got my head round to what exactly should be fitted here..... 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:36 PM, GmanB said:

Noise from the boot has been annoying me for a while, so I decided to do something about it today. Took up the carpet and boot liner with the intention of putting some velcro between the chassis and the boot liner as well as between the carpet and the boot liner. After stripping it all out I found these offending things. 

3Y9bygb.jpg

Anyway, job done and nothing moves or rattles. Also changed the air filter while I was at it. Oh and +25 pence.

Any change after removing?...........

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Thanks. I've never really got my head round to what exactly should be fitted here..... 

One deflector hanging down, as show in the picture, on each side.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:24 PM, GmanB said:

Only 25 pence! It's made a massive difference, which is probably a combination of no coins and the velcro. 👍

Had a rattle coming from the exhaust. Expected a collapsed CAT or broken/rusted clamp etc.. 

Turns out it was some gravel stuck in the single pipe chrome trim....

8 hours ago, Jules74 said:

Had a rattle coming from the exhaust. Expected a collapsed CAT or broken/rusted clamp etc.. 

Turns out it was some gravel stuck in the single pipe chrome trim....

That's a result for the bank balance. 👍 

Rewired the rear Bose with Alpines, then replaced the front speakers. 

New Maf as the old one was under reporting air flow.

Removed front bumper and gave the radiators a good clean out, and plenty of Bilthamber dynax-UB while I was there. 

Prep for NC 500 next month. 

25889EB6-780F-4E84-90BE-B8D2948E4909.jpeg

Replaced the battery. I was in tesco car park, enjoying an ice cream. Put the roof down with the engine off but as soon as I tried to start the engine it was all flashing dash warnings and alarm. I guess the load of lowering the roof unassisted was too much for the old thing (I've had the car for 4 years and never touched it so far). Luckily, Tesco is right beside Halfords so a quick walk, followed by a considerably slower stagger back with a battery and mini socket set and all was mended. The battery that was in it was under-spec as well so the car turns over better now.

Edited by AMacdonald

27 minutes ago, Barryn said:

Rewired the rear Bose with Alpines, then replaced the front speakers. 

New Maf as the old one was under reporting air flow.

Removed front bumper and gave the radiators a good clean out, and plenty of Bilthamber dynax-UB while I was there. 

Prep for NC 500 next month. 

25889EB6-780F-4E84-90BE-B8D2948E4909.jpeg

Well done in finding a speaker that fits - but will they run 2.5 Ohm ?

And I would recommend some dynomat or equivalent in there before you bolt it back together - made a huge difference when I did mine.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Not come across this before.  How effective is it?

Love the stuff, goes into all the crevices, then dries to brown/tan colour coating, very similar to the OE Cosmoline.

Currently applied to my 993 the 986 and my daughters Yaris. 

1 minute ago, Barryn said:

Love the stuff, goes into all the crevices, then dries to brown/tan colour coating, very similar to the OE Cosmoline.

Was not aware of the OE product either....  Learning lots here!

So spray onto the condensers and radiators plus into the deep dark corners to help keep grit from sticking to them then?

Hi Patt

Thanks, yes your are right it needs something in there. 👍🏻

I wanted rid of the 2.5 Ohm system, so I could run directly to my Becker. 

I used the wool fibre in the image to fill the voids, worked a treat, sounds far better than the original setup. 

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Was not aware of the OE product either....  Learning lots here!

So spray onto the condensers and radiators plus into the deep dark corners to help keep grit from sticking to them then?

Nothing applied to the core, just the surrounds that are steel, also applied to the cooling pipe clips etc so they don’t rust away.

I jet washed (carefully) the core then dried/cleaned up with a compressed air line. 

6 minutes ago, Barryn said:

Hi Patt

Thanks, yes your are right it needs something in there. 👍🏻

I wanted rid of the 2.5 Ohm system, so I could run directly to my Becker. 

I used the wool fibre in the image to fill the voids, worked a treat, sounds far better than the original setup. 

@Barryn Any chance you can post a simple, step by step how to and the speakers etc used? - would be super helpful as I've got a Bose sub shelf to gut and install into my 986S running factory CDR22 - here's hoping 🤞