What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 9/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, Sean986 said:

Thanks for your advise, hard to find much information as it doesn’t seem to be a common conversion 

There might be a good reason for that... 

Anyway, I hope the info, or random meanderings, in my PM helped too.

Treated her to some Super+ Esso today (always runs better) and gave her a right good spanking. I'm so happy to have her back after 6 weeks, I was like a child at Christmas. I'm not entirely happy with the cheapo front disks I have, as they cause a minor vibration under braking, so I'm going to get some OEM fitted in the next couple of weeks. Other than that, she's in such a sweet spot, my loved one has returned. Worth every penny. 😊

21 hours ago, GmanB said:

Treated her to some Super+ Esso today (always runs better) and gave her a right good spanking. I'm so happy to have her back after 6 weeks, I was like a child at Christmas. I'm not entirely happy with the cheapo front disks I have, as they cause a minor vibration under braking, so I'm going to get some OEM fitted in the next couple of weeks. Other than that, she's in such a sweet spot, my loved one has returned. Worth every penny. 😊

cheap discs?which ones are they?I have some cheap apec that’s not been fitted just spares.Im not sure you can really go wrong with discs.Glad you’re back enjoying the motor👍

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

cheap discs?which ones are they?I have some cheap apec that’s not been fitted just spares.Im not sure you can really go wrong with discs.Glad you’re back enjoying the motor👍

Meyle platinum. 

14 hours ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

Are these face lift grills, why do they look better than the ones on my late 2000?

I think facelift were body colour, wasn't aware there were other differences.

Facelift are one piece and body colour.

Pre-facelift have the black plastic slats.  I bought some 2nd hand ones for about £60, already in the correct colour.  Search breakers like Douglas Valley, (AKA Steve Strange on ebay)

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I think they are slightly different in shape on the facelift too  Memo, the whole vent structure sits a little more proud in the body aperture. They are different offside to nearside too, as I expect you may know.😁

41 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Thank you. It's not a major problem, a bit of heavy braking and it goes away for while. 

If heavy braking sorts out your brake vibration then it's not the brake discs that are warped. Sounds very much like pad pick up or that the pads weren't bedded in right at the beginning which then causes the uneven pad pick up from time to time later. 

^^^ yeah those discs should be as good as any ecp discs,if not better after the pads and disc have burned off the coating and bedding in done 

Edited by Liberty

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Cheers, guys. Definitely look better!

18 hours ago, CarlM said:

Yes they are facelift, I fitted the mesh myself.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:
Edited by The return of Marty Wild

On 10/7/2019 at 11:44 AM, Topbox said:

They are different offside to nearside too, as I expect you may know.

At the risk of being a bit nerdy (though it might be a bit late for that), the introduction of the assymmetric engine compartment vents, where the left grille wasn't just a mirror of the right, came in during the 986.1 run on the black-slatted vents, not at the time of the facelift. I first saw it on the launch car for the 3.2S in around 1999, noticed it was different to my then-current 2.5, and thought it was a change specific to the S. But when I asked one of the Porsche hosts at the event (who was surprised I'd even noticed the difference), they said they were also going to be changed on the base model, just as an in-model improvement to the airflow (one being an inlet and the other an outlet of course).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jon61 said:

compartment vents, where the left grille wasn't just a mirror of the right, came in during the 986.1 run on the black-slatted vents, not at the time of the facelift. I first saw it on the launch car for the 3.2S in around 1999,

I did'nt know that 👍.  I never noticed the asymmetric vents, I had to read something here 😀

I got crashed into. :(

Fortunately it looks like 99% will polish out ... to the point I'm fairly sure I'm going to tell the insurance company I'll save the agro & sort it myself.

RfGyKuP.jpg

x1lp8A7.jpg

vrzhCXB.jpg

The bubbling at the back of the archmight have just moved up my priority list tho! 😂

The Kia wanted into the lane I was in before I was quite past him. We brushed at about 15mph in traffic.

Edited by Huw_L
Fat fingers

My only defence was you would have done the same if you had seen the body and perfectly tailored tight pants the girl was wearing - it was an amazing sight even if she was probably only 17!

Just been out to the car park - the tyres protected the rim perfectly ! <huge sigh of relief>

4 hours ago, Patt said:

My only defence was you would have done the same if you had seen the body and perfectly tailored tight pants the girl was wearing - it was an amazing sight even if she was probably only 17!

Just been out to the car park - the tyres protected the rim perfectly ! <huge sigh of relief>

Have you never heard of that song "Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel" I would have cried if that was mine and it got scraped, you were lucky!