What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Ripped out the Bose dash and door speakers. Put in an Alpine amp to drive them and got the Shelf box working after I rewired it😁.

After cranking it up, the Bose door speakers were actually better than the Focals I replaced them with, so I swapped them back and saved myself a few quid. Which was nice.

The whole lot sounds excellent now, so well pleased.

Bloody loads. Oil and filter change as old stuff like treacle. No debris in oil or filter (126k rm). Used the Laser tool for filter (part 3117). Changed aux belt. You need a long lever or spanner to get the tensioner compressed to fit new belt. Pulled drivers seat and lifted carpet to remove sodden foam (big hole in rear drip tray that had been there a while I think). Foam drying on radiator to refit this week. Also pulled bumper and found condensers rotted and rads buried in impacted mud.  Will clean and sort this week. Tested my VAGCOM as code reader and works fine in ODBII mode. Kept reminding myself to plug seat back in before reconnecting battery but then didn’t doh! Lit up the red seatbelt light but no airbag light so will get OPC to fix. Need to get a full new key so will need to visit OPC Aberdeen or Perth anyway. Engine sounding sweet with new oil (tappety on start with the old treacle). Need to get new wheel bolts as collars corroded on all mine. Any recommends? 

Well after a week of ownership but being away most of the week I finally got to give it a good clean - 16 years and it has some battle scars but overall it looks well. The light makes it look far better than it is honestly! Changed the number plate bulbs as one was flickering, new aero wiper blades as the old pair where useless but I’ve noticed a crack in the windscreen, this is a bonus as I can now get the screen which I reckon is original swapped out by the insurance company. Tried to remove the radio but alas had to order some removal tools, need to have a look see why the “sound” button isn’t working. Interior is pretty much immaculate but I’ll get some pics another time.

It’s blue not black 😀

e720822a-194a-439d-ab6b-29810a8d7ff2-ori

f10a9af8-125a-4427-8468-5efdb58d8fd3-ori

7fcf9e6e-856c-4cc7-9e26-b061112104b7-ori

Edited by Apollo000
Duplicate pics

Picked up some Dot 4 brake fluid from Eurocarparts, there always seems to be some kind of online sale every weekend.  Seems so genuine to discount everything, surely not a marketing tactic of any kind 😉

On 12/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, s3swiss said:

Bloody loads. Oil and filter change as old stuff like treacle. No debris in oil or filter (126k rm). Used the Laser tool for filter (part 3117). Changed aux belt. You need a long lever or spanner to get the tensioner compressed to fit new belt. Pulled drivers seat and lifted carpet to remove sodden foam (big hole in rear drip tray that had been there a while I think). Foam drying on radiator to refit this week. Also pulled bumper and found condensers rotted and rads buried in impacted mud.  Will clean and sort this week. Tested my VAGCOM as code reader and works fine in ODBII mode. Kept reminding myself to plug seat back in before reconnecting battery but then didn’t doh! Lit up the red seatbelt light but no airbag light so will get OPC to fix. Need to get a full new key so will need to visit OPC Aberdeen or Perth anyway. Engine sounding sweet with new oil (tappety on start with the old treacle). Need to get new wheel bolts as collars corroded on all mine. Any recommends? 

Got my wheel bolts from Design 911, OPC might be less but easier to do online, my nearest is Aberdeen

On 12/15/2019 at 8:55 PM, edc said:

Get the Techworlddirect bolts from eBay. Been using these since 2013. 

Just received 4 more to replace the lockers I bought from them. 

Picked her up from the garage today after having the new gearbox & engine mounts, new AOS, manifold to cat bolts replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and gearbox oil topped up after a recent change. 

Well what can I say. Car ticks over so much better, no noise or shudder where the gear box was moving before, less cabin noise generally and over bumps. It rides over the bumps with ease where as before it felt like a crash/bang. Much smoother gear changes. 

The ECU was pinging a P0740 code which seemed to be either gearbox below required level or a torque converter clutch solenoid gone. They topped it up and reset the code, so far it hasn't come back and now feels like a new box!

Very happy with the results, just a shame about the weather.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:17 PM, Castaway said:

Got my wheel bolts from Design 911, OPC might be less but easier to do online, my nearest is Aberdeen

Some opcs do post at nominal or even no charge. Phone them and ask. 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:17 PM, Castaway said:

FYI. OPC parts departments are happy to post things

1 hour ago, Kennyfin73 said:

It does get cold here too!!

No it doesn't I just drove through the South of Spain at the end of November and it was 24+ most days the only time it's cold is at night if the winds blowing.

But I suppose its because I don't live there I see locals with thick coats on when its 30 in Spring.

Must be something about boot struts, as I did mine today as well with Monroe items from onlinecarparts at about £24 delivered.

But the car has done something itself and but ont eh ABS light.  Need to find a fault code reader to investigate.  Anyone going to AV8 on Sunday got one that they could bring along?

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Must be something about boot struts, as I did mine today as well with Monroe items from onlinecarparts at about £24 delivered.

But the car has done something itself and but ont eh ABS light.  Need to find a fault code reader to investigate.  Anyone going to AV8 on Sunday got one that they could bring along?

Thanks to @TrevTee at the AV8 meet today, ABS light cleared by turning steering lock to lock a couple of times.