What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Just fitted new indicator switch unit. Usual issue of the broken tab inside meaning only worked to indicate right if you held it up. New replacement from eBay for £198 as not wanting to use second hand one that would no doubt fail soon anyway...especially as some breakers charging near new prices. Easy enough once I realised my column needed pulling towards me to get to the 2 shroud joint screws. The Bentley manual helps to realise the new switch unit needs to be mounted 55mm down the shaft and tolerance is only 0.5mm. Would be easy to just ram it on all the way and then struggle to get the shrouds on. You also need to line it up horizontally by eye. If you get it wrong, the shrouds won’t fit again. You also need to transfer the right hand side switch (wipers) end plate from old unit to the new one. Just clipped in so no issue. Lined it all up as it was but might need to revisit as my track rods were unevenly adjusted (one side has zero thread showing).  Levelled them out by eye and rough tape measurements but will get aligned come spring. 

• Like 1

eBay deliveries arrived this morning. Few little cosmetic jobs today. 

The gear gaiter was looking a bit worse for wear so I ordered a new one off eBay. Was a bit dubious at first it would be rubbish quality but looked (and smelled) legit. Was a pain to stretch it over the top but with a bit of fairy liquid lube got there eventually.

Knackered rear boot struts replaced.

The trailing bit of the “B” in Boxster was hanging on by a hair after I knocked it one car wash. Took it off, popped a bit of 3m decal tape underneath, traced round it with a Stanley knife, stuck it back on.

Last week I finished my DIY console delete. Found that the original carpet sides for the cd storage thing give you the basic foundation. I added brackets to it with Velcro then sourced a bit of bulkhead trim from eBay for £15 to make the front cover. 

The little trim blank for in front of the gearknob was £30 from Porsche.

Carpet cover could do with some fine trimming for a neater fit, but leg room much improved. 

F61A9088-F083-43DC-8777-5DFFA35839E2.jpeg

A89BA025-A036-4934-8F28-303AD5A0CC02.jpeg

DB43C04D-BC1A-4221-B690-ED8C8CA58578.jpeg

CA41C512-568D-4BC4-AC2A-BBBA81F19C98.jpeg

DFD56533-154A-4E87-8DE0-23E536FC5041.jpeg

Had a call from Parr Porsche today, wondered what on earth they were calling me for as I'd never had any work done there???

Last year I ordered a new Boxster S logo for the boot, which I had totally forgotten about. All paid for so it was a nice surprise (£72). Mine is in terrible condition, loads of micro-fibre cloth threads stuck in there and good sized gaps where the adhesive has gone, so I'm really happy this will be going on. I'd seen some on ebay and they weren't originals and not a lot cheaper, so thought I'd splash out. 

This is in preparation for the paint correction and ceramic coating I'm having done in the spring.  

Got a nice newly.coded key from Silverstone Porsche and a code sweep.for.the ABS Light I have on. Good service, nice coffee and.lots of metal I can’t afford!

Key is fine, ABS has not stored a fault code... But then got a misfire too, which has now clear bur still have CEL on.

Also collected a new gasket and nuts for the bonnet badge which I'll fit when it gets a bit warmer...

Had a deluge of water come in while getting washed today - drivers window wasn't sealing properly. Opened the roof and windows a few times to find out the issue, side rubbers not seating properly and the window needs to be adjust up about 5mm - will sort the window height next weekend when the required Torx socket arrives but for now I remembered a tip from good old Ed China about packing the rubber out to seal correctly - I didn't have any small rubber tubing so for now I slotted a brawl plug behind the rubber to push it out and stop it squashing when the roof and window seal.

The door card carpet was soaking at the bottom, once it was off the membrane and seals are all pretty untouched which was a suprise and all sealed very well - the water was simply running down the inside of the window to the bottom of the door and soaking the carpet trim.

The offending article:

7s12WWg.jpg

With the raw plug in place - will be swapped as soon as I get some rubber.

ADuNUhs.jpg

Good job the Ex left her hairdryer behind!

qbiyxHC.jpg

Door card requires a couple of new clips, its been off before and 2 had broken -  also missing 1 x screw behind the door handle and 1 x bolt behind the airbag logo! 

On 1/18/2020 at 2:54 PM, ½cwt said:

Got a nice newly.coded key from Silverstone Porsche and a code sweep.for.the ABS Light I have on. Good service, nice coffee and.lots of metal I can’t afford!

Key is fine, ABS has not stored a fault code... But then got a misfire too, which has now clear bur still have CEL on.

Also collected a new gasket and nuts for the bonnet badge which I'll fit when it gets a bit warmer...

how much for the key if you don't mind sharing? Will need one for mine come spring..

On 1/20/2020 at 2:20 PM, s3swiss said:

how much for the key if you don't mind sharing? Will need one for mine come spring..

Key head only, so no blade or immobiliser transponder as these were moved from the old key that had been through the wash..., just the transmitter and the plastic body, including coding £250.  Oh and a nice cup of coffee and a chance to look over some cars I will never be able to afford.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Key head only, so no blade or immobiliser transponder as these were moved from the old key that had been through the wash..., just the transmitter and the plastic body, including coding £250.  Oh and a nice cup of coffee and a chance to look over some cars I will never be able to afford.

thanks - do you know if they give the Porsche Club discount on key head supply? Debating joining but need to justify the cost.... (last question on this I promise - will add the info to the key thread as well for posterity).

Edited by s3swiss

1 hour ago, s3swiss said:

thanks - do you know if they give the Porsche Club discount on key head supply? Debating joining but need to justify the cost.... (last question on this I promise - will add the info to the key thread as well for posterity).

They gave me 10% off the parts as I've had quite a few from them over the last year or so.  I'm not PCGB so I don't know if it would be less with membership.  I have found that at OPC Silverstone they are quiet supportive of an enthusiast keeping an older Porsche on the road which is nice in this day and age of hard nosed business....

• Like 1

Fitted the new ARBs (sway bars for our friends across the pond) and bushes without too much of a struggle - all nuts and bolts came apart without breaking. The Bentley manual suggests removing the bracing at the rear to remove the ARB, but i found that if a rear wheel is removed the bar can be manoeuvered out without doing so.

Took it for a quick spin to ensure it's all back together properly.  Hard to tell if there's much of an improvement today as there's a lot of water around and I didn't want to push it. 

Was bored over Christmas and this popped up on my very helpful google adverts, they had a sale on and I thought, why not  :)

effectively it's like a generic remap without overwriting your ecu, just connects to your obd and I guess intercepts the engine signals and does something.

https://www.gantuning.de/chiptuning/porsche/boxster-986-2000-04/3-2i-252hp/

I have nothing to gauge it against other than the seat of the pants feel, but it does feel more aggressive, faster throttle response for sure.

I can switch modes with the app, so I must get this tested on a rolling road at some point.

A piggyback chip. Used to be quite common. A bit like the old style Dastek Unichips, except you had to wire/clip these inline. This was from memory pre OBD2 standard coming in. 

39 minutes ago, edc said:

You won't tell the difference in ARBs unless you are really leaning on the car. 

Yes, that's what I've gathered from a fair bit of reading from various online sources. The main benefit I'm after is slightly less body roll without upsetting the front / rear balance too much. A bit less understeer would be nice though. I've not gone mental on the larger diameter, it's as close to M030 spec as I could get without paying the Porsche tax for genuine.  

Hopefully I'll get chance to lean on them a bit once we get a bit of decent weather. If it's a backward step I'll swap them back to the originals, although they're a lovely shade of blue and I quite like them 😉

Drove it just over 300 miles. First mid distance run in a while and at the end of the day.....

- Roof rack generates some noise but nothing obtrusive. 

- Headlamp washers really aren’t much use against salty road grime.

- CarPlay makes the car’s interior a much better workplace.

- The extra grunt from the bigger engine is massively addictive. 

- Overrun exhaust rumble makes me laugh out loud.

- After 12+ years this little car retains its ability to keep me on my driving game day in day out. Ace. 

- It is still a remarkably comfortable place to be and cover distance. 

- They look better dirty. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, map said:

Drove it just over 300 miles. First mid distance run in a while and at the end of the day.....

- Roof rack generates some noise but nothing obtrusive. 

- Headlamp washers really aren’t much use against salty road grime.

- CarPlay makes the car’s interior a much better workplace.

- The extra grunt from the bigger engine is massively addictive. 

- Overrun exhaust rumble makes me laugh out loud.

- After 12+ years this little car retains its ability to keep me on my driving game day in day out. Ace. 

- It is still a remarkably comfortable place to be and cover distance. 

- They look better dirty. 

NO! they look meaner dirty, not better 😉