What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Good to see the love and enjoyment you get from the car after all these years. Also goes to show a bit like a relationship, a few mods and a bit of attention go a long way 😄

13 minutes ago, edc said:

I would be tempted to wrap your mirror covers in a gloss black too to give the same accent. 

Hmmm not too sure about the mirrors.

my idea was just to do all the vents on the car just to break up the silver. So I’ve yet to do the bumper grills. I think I will tackle that with the bumper off 👍

So I’m a keen weather watcher as every soft top owner is in the winter......but I have to say the Met Office let me down last night and I didn’t cover the car.....

Ruk8moH.jpg

So after it thawed I took it for a clean.....and it rained on the way home......so after it dried I cleaned it again and covered it up.......tomorrow looks sunny ......I hope the Met Office don’t tuck me up again!

1GoNmaZ.jpg

Edited by Apollo000

Car has new rear ARB bushings, rear shocks and tyres all round. To make it go really fast...I have replaced the spark plugs.

First mini run out after the parts have been replaced. On a long stretch of road I safely overtook a few cars only to see a Bentley copying my every move. Went again and the she was behind me... 

I turned off onto a twisty section and thought this will be interesting...Bentley went straight on...I'm kind if glad really.

Came across a 987s in front of me at some lights...wasn't sure of Boxster protocol so just sat behind him. Mx5 NA would have been a wave.

Love the car noise above 4k and power delivery...would be good to do the front shocks in the future.

So after having the 4 wheel alignment readjusted as it was still slightly out I went for a spin in the sunshine ...yes actual sunshine in Wiltshire, although it was sporadic - I took a spin to one of the regular haunts for the South West member to Cheddar Gorge, I have never been before despite living less than an hour away for the last 5 years! I had a cracking brunch at the Lion Rock Tea Rooms, highly recommend the Eggs Benedict even though they're not on the menu they're happy to knock them up - the Jaffa Cake Hot Chocolate was amazing!

Anyway I got the car a little bit dirty but ill leave it for the accident repairer to clean on Wednesday when she goes in for her scratch repair - Fantastic drive from Longleat through the gorge and back with Van 'The Man' Morrison blasting out with the roof down 🙂

Eggs Benedict - nomnom

M6T2QGf.jpg

Jaffa cake hot Chocolate

e0PccTf.jpg

It's amazing what a filter can do, wish I could look as good!

z08RWps.jpg

Edited by Apollo000
  • Like 1

Busy day:

Fitted replacement MAF, car runs smoothly, idles and starts more cleanly too. 

Cleaned throttle body as well, was absolutely filthy. 

Fitted new genuine rubber gasket under bonnet badge with new nuts as it has a plastic thing under it from when I bought it.  Now presents the badge properly.

Whilst everything was open I applied gummi-pflege to all the rubber seals.

Topped up with fuel and went for a spin in the sunshine. 

Only downside is now the seal squeaks have quietened down I'm hearing all the suspension creaks etc.  Suspect ARB bushes are required. If weather holds, possibly a wash and polish tomorrow.

I gumm-pflege'd too 🙂 . Doors trunk and frunk.... a massive DIY deal for me 😉 .

I was thinking as I did it how John K would go about self harming himself doing this ..... ????? 🤣🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naim22 said:

What's gummfledge?

Just search on Amazon or eBay, you'll find Wurth and at least one other brand.  Comes in 75ml bottles with a nice sponge applicator.  Dead easy to apply and stops all sorts of rubber seal creaks.  Wish I'd known you were interested yesterday as you were standing less than a metre from some!

Great weather in the South Midlands today so the car got a wash, polish and the screen got a refresh of Rain-X.

Then the obligatory drive just to check it is till working properly 😉

7 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Completed throttle body upgrade, compliments the 200 cell cats, tubular manifolds and smaller drive pulley, car revs so much quicker and more freely

I did mine a while back, let the fun begin 🙂

3 minutes ago, Southy said:

I did mine a while back, let the fun begin 🙂

yep, taken down some lanes in Ireland, it seems a lot quicker, the test will be when I bring it back to UK and meet the Yorkshire posse. Have you had a remap? Did you do the 987 airbox?

3 minutes ago, Terryg said:

yep, taken down some lanes in Ireland, it seems a lot quicker, the test will be when I bring it back to UK and meet the Yorkshire posse. Have you had a remap? Did you do the 987 airbox?

I've still got the 986 airbox with a K&N filter, I bought a German remap obd box thing, it seems to work although not pushing it due to the weather 🙂

4 minutes ago, Southy said:

I've still got the 986 airbox with a K&N filter, I bought a German remap obd box thing, it seems to work although not pushing it due to the weather 🙂

I ordered a KN, it got lost in transit , have just ordered a BMC instead. Can't see me doing the airbox it looks a complete b..tard and people a lot more competent than me struggle. might do a remap at some point

1 minute ago, Terryg said:

I ordered a KN, it got lost in transit , have just ordered a BMC instead. Can't see me doing the airbox it looks a complete b..tard and people a lot more competent than me struggle. might do a remap at some point

ideally you'd want a custom remap, so it can take full advantage of the throttlebody and exhaust pipework, I CBA and bought one of these 🙂 

https://www.gantuning.de/chiptuning/porsche/boxster-986-2000-04/3-2i-252hp/

gan-ga+.png
+30 hp +37 Nm

GÄN GA + - performance increase for naturally aspirated engines. Control via smartphone and three operating modes.

• gun-ico2.pngUp to 15% fuel savings
  • gun-ico3.svg5x reprogramming when changing vehicles
  • gun-ico-ga.png3 operating modes
  • gun-ico8.png5 year guarantee
  • gun-ico4.png2 year engine warranty (up to 3000 EUR)
  • gun-ico5.pngControl via smartphone
60 savings

8 minutes ago, Terryg said:

@Southy I was thinking of a custom remap, do you notice a difference when you plug that in? I haven't seen that one before.

Yes, a noticeable difference, the throttle response is quicker and it pulls harder for sure, the wife drove it for the first time in a while with it fitted and she said it was faster.... I've not done any real world checks though so I could be talking cr*p.

50 day money back guarantee though

1 minute ago, Southy said:

Yes, a noticeable difference, the throttle response is quicker and it pulls harder for sure, the wife drove it for the first time in a while with it fitted and she said it was faster.... I've not done any real world checks though so I could be talking cr*p.

50 day money back guarantee though

interesting I wonder is it one of those gadgets that fools the management system into thinking the throttle is wider open than it actually is or is it a generic re map? I couldn't find an English version but I know a lot of German speakers or I could just use google translate. Better get used to what I have for now though.