What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Finally got my from struts apart to change the springs, bump stops and top mounts having found a broken spring and noticed the bump stops were rather perished.  Top nut took a good impact wrench on the nut and mole grips on the piston rod but they finally gave in.  Top bearings were in good condition so cleaned them thoroughly and re-greased before reassembly.  Gave the front diagonal braces a good wire brushing and the 2 coats of Hammerite as well as brushing and painting the visible part of the dampers up to the spring platforms.  Also fitted new ARB bushed and a new track rod end  last weekend whilst I had things apart.

Now I can get on with the job I was planning before when I found the broken spring that led to all this work, which is painting the calipers and replacing a couple of brake lines.

Replaced the driver's side roof tension cable rope (no idea why it's called a rope as it is a steel cable). I think it has been broken for quite some time, and whilst it never seemed to affect the roof operation adversely in any way I do like things to be right. It's an easy job and I got the part from Steve Strange for less than £20 delivered to my door. Seems silly not to do it. Now with most of the big jobs out of the way I am getting stuck into all the niggly little things that I find as I get accustomed to the car. Last week I replaced a broken front trunk hinge and cleaned the roof properly for the first time since owning the car. Next weekend I'll do the driver's seat. It's a little worn and could do with some TLC. I would do it today but I have a bunch of work admin to catch up on. 

Eventually I think I want to clean and paint the brake calipers (or better yet have them powder coated) - just haven't decided what colour yet.

Edited by RedBarediver

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Finally got my from struts apart to change the springs, bump stops and top mounts having found a broken spring and noticed the bump stops were rather perished.  Top nut took a good impact wrench on the nut and mole grips on the piston rod but they finally gave in.  Top bearings were in good condition so cleaned them thoroughly and re-greased before reassembly.  Gave the front diagonal braces a good wire brushing and the 2 coats of Hammerite as well as brushing and painting the visible part of the dampers up to the spring platforms.  Also fitted new ARB bushed and a new track rod end  last weekend whilst I had things apart.

Now I can get on with the job I was planning before when I found the broken spring that led to all this work, which is painting the calipers and replacing a couple of brake lines.

Good man good to see you are getting stuck in, makes me jealous, Im running out of jobs to do on my car

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Good man good to see you are getting stuck in, makes me jealous, Im running out of jobs to do on my car

Got the front wheel arch liners and the front underbody tray (after bonding up some splits) back in today along with the rad grilles and trims on the front bumper.  Can't refit the PU or the right rad duct yet as need the replacement horns to go in first and they are on back order.

Feeling quite chuffed at getting stuck in and solving problems.  Good weather and Lockdown certainly help to make time!

1 hour ago, the baron said:

There's always that headlamp polish up you said you want to do in another thread.....  Take it nice and slow and it might stretch to a couple of hours.

E5928068-C2F3-4B9C-9044-E8864FC3ED2C.jpeg.190071ec0bb2f74a7e5265bb5348fc24.jpeg

Time in my hands and what better way to spend it, working on the car.

Fresh Millers oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter, new serpentine belt.

The car is new to me, so very happy with the oil filter.

49822879977_98c2a83d84_b.jpg

49750562317_9b1d3fb82e_b.jpg

The old sixteen inch rims with decade old tyres have gone. Fully refurbished BBS classics fitted with Michelin PS4’s. 
New Bluetooth dongle for the Becker Indianapolis pro.  
Love getting this car ready for later in the year. 

4A3602C3-25D7-4A1F-86F5-9E084E654CC7.jpeg

Edited by Barryn

1 hour ago, Barryn said:

E5928068-C2F3-4B9C-9044-E8864FC3ED2C.jpeg.190071ec0bb2f74a7e5265bb5348fc24.jpeg

Time in my hands and what better way to spend it, working on the car.

Fresh Millers oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter, new serpentine belt.

The car is new to me, so very happy with the oil filter.

49822879977_98c2a83d84_b.jpg

49750562317_9b1d3fb82e_b.jpg

The old sixteen inch rims with decade old tyres have gone. Fully refurbished BBS classics fitted with Michelin PS4’s. 
New Bluetooth dongle for the Becker Indianapolis pro.  
Love getting this car ready for later in the year. 

4A3602C3-25D7-4A1F-86F5-9E084E654CC7.jpeg

Do you use Millers lubricant often? 

First time Bob, normally I use Motul fully synthetic ester oils on my 993, but the Millers Ester oils get good reviews so trying them for the first time.

I also fitted a Gold plug magnetic sump plug whilst in there. (Note stock image) the correct one is MP10

D489211D-17BB-4BA1-A78F-E44AF933B112.png

Edited by Barryn

8 minutes ago, Barryn said:

First time Bob, normally I use Motul fully synthetic ester oils on my 993, but the Millers Ester oils get good reviews so trying them for the first time.

I also fitted a Gold plug magnetic sump plug whilst in there. (Note stock image) the correct one is MP10

1 hour ago, Barryn said:

Thanks for the reply. Just curious, what's the reason you are using a group 5 product for your car? 

Are you seeing any real world benefits? Fuel economy, performance?  

15 hours ago, Barryn said:

Do you have a link to that please