What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

Last year I replaced the brake pipes that run down the near side With conifer but the pipe that runs from the mid connection to the rear near side wheel I didn’t get quite right and I couldn’t get the undertray to completely fit. This has annoyed me for the past few months  so I tried to re bend it but it was easier to replace the whole pipe which is now perfect!

Re bled the brakes washed it and it’s ready to go!

Like many things in life ,sometimes it's better to walk away and ve visit later it's surprising how much better things go.

Two new rear tyres and a new fuel cap as I was getting a bit of a petrol smell after a drive and discovered the seal in the cap was pretty perished. Full tank of fuel on the way home so a bit of a pricey morning. 

52 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Two new rear tyres and a new fuel cap as I was getting a bit of a petrol smell after a drive and discovered the seal in the cap was pretty perished. Full tank of fuel on the way home so a bit of a pricey morning. 

About £55 for a tank of fuel for mine, is yours any bigger or smaller?

Watch out for the wet roads with new tyres, although i wouldnt take any driving advice from me :)

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

About £55 for a tank of fuel for mine, is yours any bigger or smaller?

Watch out for the wet roads with new tyres, although i wouldnt take any driving advice from me :)

It took £50 bang on but there was just under a quarter in it. 

Yeah I was careful, only a ten min drive. 

Got my parts from my local OPC and did the ashtray delete, easy job, looks ace and is now a useable space.

I also got the OEM cup holder that fits into the air vents at the same time, quite a neat little device which will be very useful.

Edited by the baron

Hi

Took my front bumper off and cleaned out the crud from the radiators. One condenser was totally dead, so removed that as well. Then put some mesh over the intakes and put it all back together. 

It took all afternoon, and the vertical screws under the side indicators are a right PITA.

Berni

8 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Took my front bumper off and cleaned out the crud from the radiators. One condenser was totally dead, so removed that as well. Then put some mesh over the intakes and put it all back together. 

It took all afternoon, and the vertical screws under the side indicators are a right PITA.

Berni

Definitely on my growing ‘to-do’ list...

Yesterday, I reattached the bar from the outer door-handle to the door lock & cleaned corrosion off the fuse terminals on the amp live feed.

Today, I removed the drivers door card to investigate a struggling window.  The seal is grabbing the glass and has written the window regulator off now completely.  While in there, I fixed the mirror switch and restored vertical adjustment.  I rinsed a tonne of soil through the front drain holes and cleaned & re-sprayed a bit of surface corrosion that the standing water had caused on a black metal bulk-head panel.  

I think I may need something in the front suspension.  I’m getting real chatter over uneven surfaces when travelling slowly, but the handling is bang-on.

4 hours ago, the baron said:

Got my parts from my local OPC and did the ashtray delete, easy job, looks ace and is now a useable space.

I also got the OEM cup holder that fits into the air vents at the same time, quite a neat little device which will be very useful.

Wondered how long before you took the plunge on both these options.

5 hours ago, the baron said:

Hi,

Do you have the part numbers for these?

What’s the cost?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Malky007 said:

Hi,

What’s the cost?

Thanks

Cup holders only apply to the pre face-lift cars, after that there were built in above the head unit/heater controls.

If @the baron hasn't replied when I get back later I'll dig them out and for the ash tray delete.

Edited by ½cwt

10 hours ago, Malky007 said:

Hi,

What’s the cost?

Thanks

Don't have the codes, as I just went through the options with the OPC parts guy, if you get the ashtray delete, the little rubber mat that sits at the bottom is extra so make sure you order that too, also the cup holders are right and left specific, I just ordered the drivers side(Right)

Cost, not sure separately, but for all 3 parts and with my Porsche Club membership discount it came to £57.82 inc VAT

Edited by the baron

5 hours ago, the baron said:

Don't have the codes, as I just went through the options with the OPC parts guy, if you get the ashtray delete, the little rubber mat that sits at the bottom is extra so make sure you order that too, also the cup holders are right and left specific, I just ordered the drivers side(Right)

Cost, not sure separately, but for all 3 parts and with my Porsche Club membership discount it came to £57.82 inc VAT

Sounds like a call to my OPC is needed. A second hand cup holder on ebay is about £40 on it’s own. 

Fitted short shifter and got all the trim back in, waiting for new gear knob to arrive to finish it off. It all went pretty well had to order a new cable end adjuster for the bottom of the gear lever, the old one was well worn surprised it hadn't popped off sooner. The short shift has improved the gear change for me, much less throw and straight in to gear,  like it a lot.

First year of ownership so getting thru the things that need doing.

New discs and pads on the rear and not before time they were vibrating under hard braking outside was a worn and some grooving but once i took the discs off the inside was fcuked rusted out so bad never seen anything like it.

Oil change with a new filter and i was glad to see the filter was nice and clean not little nasty particals.

New air filter aswell.

It goes into Jaz wednesday for a tranny oil change.

Next thing on the hit list is finding out what is knocking from the front drivers side, there's 2 pipes the run down the underneath of the car and go up the wheel arch and into the bonnet area one of the pipes wiggles anf knocks agaginst the bodywork ive done a little bodge job to see if that sorts it ill know tomorrow on my way to work, if not i think the drop link maybe the next thing to look at as the rubber is a bit perished.