What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

20200708_150323.jpgWell before lock down I had my second set of wheels fully refurbished 

but

It's been up until today I could get the tyres put back on , all balanced,  wheel centres fitted...........

So the all weather tyres are back on........

As I don't drive in winter I may just put them in the sales section in due course !

20200708_150151.jpg20200708_150139.jpg

Edited by stevemag

Hi

Since the Tip gearbox went back in the car has been displaying a flashing "D for the first few minutes from cold. The Tip works as expected, but it will not go into manual mode during this time, although it will shift on the buttons. So this afternoon I got it level in the air (again) and opened the gearbox fill/drain plug to make sure the fluid level was correct. Some fell out. I really hate the fill process on these boxes. Its cr*p and difficult to get right.

Will see how it is tomorrow morning. The car this evening went fantastically well apart from a slightly rough idle.

Also I soldered on a new button to the remote fob to get it working again, but although it flashes now on all buttons, it will not communicate with the car. I have tried every reset method known to the internet. 

All the best

Berni

On 7/5/2020 at 9:36 PM, Cjames said:

New discs and pads on the rear and not before time they were vibrating under hard braking outside was a worn and some grooving but once i took the discs off the inside was fcuked rusted out so bad never seen anything like it.

Corroded inside discs is such a common Boxster problem. Should be a standard visual check when buying and annually. 

Hi

I put some LED numberplate lights on today. Quite nice! Also fixed the wiring to the low speed resistors up front. Removed the old corroded (not working) resistors also.

Berni

Had a productive evening in the garage and just finished now. Fitted a new Varta 80Ah battery, it was pretty much identical to the old Bosch one. I checked the production code (from the YouTube video) whilst in the shop and was pleased to see it was manufactured a little earlier this year. Glad I rummaged to the back of the shelf, as the one at the front was more than 2 years old. Added bonus as they were doing 15% off all Varta batteries. Also bought 10ltrs of Elf 5w40 oil and an oil filter and air filter from the dealer and I changed the lot. Nearly 2 years since the last oil change and a massive 1700km done (which equates to about 170 trips to the supermarket lol). The oil filter was spotless again thankfully, and no sign of any metallic, or any other kind of particles.

I bought the oil and battery in Carrefour and was nearly buying the 10w40 oil as it is half the price (€50 for 10lts compared to €100 for 10ltrs of 5w40). I reckon the hot climate here would mean the 10w40 would be fine, as my car never sees temperatures below 15C. I chickened out at the last minute but maybe I go for the cheaper stuff next time?

As it was a rare visit to the engine bay to fit the air filter, I thought this time I should check the power steering fluid, never checked it in 6 years, and only recently found out there was a reservoir in there! Could not see anything on the dipstick at the 20c cold level? My garage was 30c this evening but should still have seen something? Anyone else had similarly low power steering fluid level and is it harmful to the car? I will go back to the dealer again tomorrow and see if they will sell me 0,5 ltrs of transmission fluid. A while ago they sold me some transmission fluid, so you never know?

Look forward to a drive out tomorrow and to see how it starts, as it has been struggling a bit of late.

Edited by el 3.2S

8 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Had a productive evening in the garage and just finished now. Fitted a new Varta 80Ah battery, it was pretty much identical to the old Bosch one. I checked the production code (from the YouTube video) whilst in the shop and was pleased to see it was manufactured a little earlier this year. Glad I rummaged to the back of the shelf, as the one at the front was more than 2 years old. Added bonus as they were doing 15% off all Varta batteries. Also bought 10ltrs of Elf 5w40 oil and an oil filter and air filter from the dealer and I changed the lot. Nearly 2 years since the last oil change and a massive 1700km done (which equates to about 170 trips to the supermarket lol). The oil filter was spotless again thankfully, and no sign of any metallic, or any other kind of particles.

I bought the oil and battery in Carrefour and was nearly buying the 10w40 oil as it is half the price (€50 for 10lts compared to €100 for 10ltrs of 5w40). I reckon the hot climate here would mean the 10w40 would be fine, as my car never sees temperatures below 15C. I chickened out at the last minute but maybe I go for the cheaper stuff next time?

As it was a rare visit to the engine bay to fit the air filter, I thought this time I should check the power steering fluid, never checked it in 6 years, and only recently found out there was a reservoir in there! Could not see anything on the dipstick at the 20c cold level? My garage was 30c this evening but should still have seen something? Anyone else had similarly low power steering fluid level and is it harmful to the car? I will go back to the dealer again tomorrow and see if they will sell me 0,5 ltrs of transmission fluid. A while ago they sold me some transmission fluid, so you never know?

Look forward to a drive out tomorrow and to see how it starts, as it has been struggling a bit of late.

Buy from OPC the correct power steering fluid its actually cheaper than most other places and you know its correct, it won't do your pump any good running it with low fluid but if it was that low you would hear a horrible noise coming from the front so your probably ok, but get it topped up.

4 hours ago, the baron said:

Buy from OPC the correct power steering fluid its actually cheaper than most other places and you know its correct, it won't do your pump any good running it with low fluid but if it was that low you would hear a horrible noise coming from the front so your probably ok, but get it topped up.

4 hours ago, Patt said:

Or local VW garage if that's closer

Thanks for the advice chaps. Before read them, I dropped in by a local motor factor and they advised me that Iada Servo-Tex was compatible with my car, so I bought 0,5 litres for €9.  I have since googled and it is recommended for Porsche and also VW Audi group vehicles. Will top up this afternoon.

Well that is that done and topped up. With nothing at all showing on the dipstick, I was expecting to have to put in quite a lot but it actually only needed 50-60ml to get the level to the mark. Can’t have been all that low then and likely explains why there were no unusual sounds etc. Next time I am in the area, I will drain the system and replace all the fluid, as looks a fairly straight forward job and I’ll bet the fluid in my car is original 20 year old stuff!

Drove it, after fitting the new battery, oil, oil filter, air filter and power steering fluid top up. Starts so much better now and positively jumps into life. Placebo effect going ten to the dozen and everything felt better - even the clutch was lighter lol. The engine though, definitely feels smoother (especially on start up) with the new Elf oil, compared to the previous Shell Helix.

9 hours ago, KevM79 said:

Replaced the DS window regulator & fitted a new cabin-filter.  The old one looks every day of 22 years old 😆 

Manjp3z.jpg

2TqMYwJ.jpg

Q5oQDuY.jpg

Done!

Hi

Did you have to do much alignment?

I also had my window regulator out (again) today. Passenger side. I cheaped out and bought a repair kit. Unfortunately, and I am not sure why, it did not have enough tension the first time round and the cable came off a wheel. This time everything is nice and tight. It was not a nice experience though. I really do not like the mechanism.

I also cleaned my MAF. The jury is out on it though.

Berni

Edited by Berni29

1 minute ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I also had my window regulator out (again) today. Passenger side. I cheaped out and bought a repair kit. Unfortunately, and I am not sure why, it did not have enough tension the first time round and the cable came off a wheel. This time everything is nice and tight. It was not a nice experience though. I really do not like the mechanism.

I also cleaned my MAF. The jury is out on it though.

Berni

I had looked at the cable kits too, but it looked like a lot of fiddly work that might have resulted in me losing the rag, so went for a cheap regulator instead lol

I am just waiting on a roll of felt tape to arrive now.  I need to stick a length of it to the inside of the seal on the side that needed the regulator to stop the rubber grabbing the dropping window.

Thanks to Mark Drayford  (Welsh First Minister !!!) I've been on my first "Non Essential " trip of the year.

30miles on a glorious "B"Road Llanbrynmair to llanidloes today. 

Bit of shopping and fuelled up !

Stopped at the large lake / viewpoint and htmbo took the picture 

Even managed to get the boxster in the picture! 

107830462_3458466330832631_8258856727313

The car ran much better on fresh fuel  as the quarter of a tank dated to October 2019............

So back in the groove now :bana:

Edited by stevemag

Drove it like I stole it for once.

The “mot” is due on Tuesday and the last two times it has struggled a bit with emissions, due to lack of use, short runs and old fuel. Decided to have a bit of a run out today with new fuel and injector cleaner. Loaded 5x8ltr empty water bottles into the boot (nice snug fit) and set off for a half hour drive to Monda where you can fill up from a natural spring - good way to help offset the fuel costs. 
Took a different way home via Guaro and decided to head for Yunquera which at 2500feet, is the highest town in Malaga province. The road there is just incredible and really tests out the handling of the car and the driver (actually the car makers test out a lot of new models in the area and you can often see them, also is popular with classic car clubs etc and saw several nice motors on the way up today). Was one of the best drives ever and the beer at Yunquera was very welcome in the 33c heat. Am hoping this will have cleared a few cobwebs out and help with the emissions on Tuesday. Wish I had got some pics. Will do next time, as will do it again, when I need more drinking water.

Edited by el 3.2S

24 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Just done some fuel calculations and with 14,4 l/100km = 16,3 mpg for the trip, it ended up being quite expensive water lol. Was great fun though.

Very respectable fuel consumption for enthusiastic driving!  I must try harder.

20 hours ago, KevM79 said:

Sb9H7cF.jpg

IXM8YN4.jpg

ey0CdYD.jpg

x08YkdX.jpg

OQFC1Oh.jpg

Y7WeOo4.jpg

To finish it off you can buy Porsche stickers on eBay which you can then lacquer over the top off, I did this a few years ago using the plastic bag method rather than removing the callipers , next time Ill remove the callipers because when I swapped my pads over the spindle was glued in place with the paint.

15 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Drove it like I stole it for once.

The “mot” is due on Tuesday and the last two times it has struggled a bit with emissions, due to lack of use, short runs and old fuel. Decided to have a bit of a run out today with new fuel and injector cleaner. Loaded 5x8ltr empty water bottles into the boot (nice snug fit) and set off for a half hour drive to Monda where you can fill up from a natural spring - good way to help offset the fuel costs. 
Took a different way home via Guaro and decided to head for Yunquera which at 2500feet, is the highest town in Malaga province. The road there is just incredible and really tests out the handling of the car and the driver (actually the car makers test out a lot of new models in the area and you can often see them, also is popular with classic car clubs etc and saw several nice motors on the way up today). Was one of the best drives ever and the beer at Yunquera was very welcome in the 33c heat. Am hoping this will have cleared a few cobwebs out and help with the emissions on Tuesday. Wish I had got some pics. Will do next time, as will do it again, when I need more drinking water.

Sounds an ideal location for Boxster ownership, good luck with the MOT