What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 8/31/2020 at 1:23 PM, GmanB said:

A good week. water pump, thermostat, tensioner & 2 idler pulleys replaced by my local indie, not much room for the pulley bolts to come out apparently!  

I fitted new puddle lights courtesy of @thefunkygibbon. This morning I applied new caliper decals and vacuumed the roof.

Can you vacuum the roof? I put my cover which was dusty on the inside (annoyingly) now it looks like cr*p. Might try that.

54 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Can you vacuum the roof? I put my cover which was dusty on the inside (annoyingly) now it looks like cr*p. Might try that.

Yes, I used the soft round brush thingy on the end. Something flowered recently nearby and the roof was covered with white cr*p. 

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Yes, I used the soft round brush thingy on the end. Something flowered recently nearby and the roof was covered with white cr*p. 

A lint roller is also handy to have, very cheap from Ikea, or a clothes brush as they tend to be softer than most other brushes and it is fabric after all.

Hi

Located and fixed two tiny air leaks in my front tyres (one in each front wheel). Both were where the rim meets the tyre.

Hopefully no more pumping up each couple of weeks.

Berni 

Edited by Berni29

7 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Located and fixed two tiny air leaks in my front tyres (one in each front wheel). Both were where the rim meets the tyre.

Hopefully no more pumping up each couple of weeks.

Berni 

Did a garage reseat your tyres or have you a trick to share? 😉

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

A lint roller is also handy to have, very cheap from Ikea, or a clothes brush as they tend to be softer than most other brushes and it is fabric after all.

Good shout thanks. 👍 I've used sellotape before. 😂

12 hours ago, JonSta said:

Yes I've vacuumed mine several times. Henry ones with the round brush attachment are deffo the best for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Did a garage reseat your tyres or have you a trick to share? 😉

Hi,

Thats a good question! I watched this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lspxGs26BsA

I had previously tried to find these leaks by spraying soapy water all over the tyre but no go. Letting soapy water sit between the tyre and the rim revealed them in seconds. One was literally tiny, but over a month or so the tyre would loose a couple of PSI which was annoying. The other tyre has a bigger leak so in a week or so it would loose one or two PSI.

Berni

Edited by Berni29
  • Like 1

Just dropped the wheels off at Pro Alloys in Melksham. I decided to ge the inner faces done in Light Anthracite and the outer rim in Porsche silver.

I need a new set of black wheel nuts? Anyone selling or can you point me in the direction of a decent set. Ebay seems to have full sets (20) for between £10 and £50. I have asked the OPC for a quote too.

Pictures once the wheels are back.

18 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

I had the same with my wheel nuts got them from salvage yard Douglas valley and they were perfect and A quarter of the price of new ones. Just needed a light clean up and I painted them silver

Douglas Valley are great, saved loads of money using them, always quick service. I painted mine up too but wasn’t sure if they were ok being flaky, perhaps they are then, wheels haven’t fallen off, touch wood!

11 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi,

Thats a good question! I watched this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lspxGs26BsA

I had previously tried to find these leaks by spraying soapy water all over the tyre but no go. Letting soapy water sit between the tyre and the rim revealed them in seconds. One was literally tiny, but over a month or so the tyre would loose a couple of PSI which was annoying. The other tyre has a bigger leak so in a week or so it would loose one or two PSI.

Berni

Thankyou 👍

11 hours ago, Rav said:

Just dropped the wheels off at Pro Alloys in Melksham. I decided to ge the inner faces done in Light Anthracite and the outer rim in Porsche silver.

I need a new set of black wheel nuts? Anyone selling or can you point me in the direction of a decent set. Ebay seems to have full sets (20) for between £10 and £50. I have asked the OPC for a quote too.

Pictures once the wheels are back.

Looking forward to it as would quite like to get mine done. How have you left the car while the wheels are off ? 

I need some new wheel bolts too! After taking my wheels off recently, I've noticed some of them are corroding on the collars :mellow:

These ebay ones come up a lot but the collars are different? Can anyone advise?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-WHEEL-BOLTS-FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-981-OE-STYLE-ALLOY-LUG-NUT-20P/230833453651?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Plat_Gen%3A986&hash=item35bebefa53:g:C3MAAOSw3YJZRg-b

1 hour ago, Sazzy said:

I need some new wheel bolts too! After taking my wheels off recently, I've noticed some of them are corroding on the collars :mellow:

These ebay ones come up a lot but the collars are different? Can anyone advise?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-WHEEL-BOLTS-FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-981-OE-STYLE-ALLOY-LUG-NUT-20P/230833453651?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Plat_Gen%3A986&hash=item35bebefa53:g:C3MAAOSw3YJZRg-b

I personally went with non locking stainless steal bolts, easier to clean and in theory should last longer than the alloy ones. The only trouble is that they often look a lot cleaner than the wheels.

zPZTqGA.jpg

Edited by GmanB

4 minutes ago, GmanB said:

I personally went with non locking stainless steal bolts, easier to to clean and in theory should last longer than the alloy ones. The only trouble is that they often look a lot cleaner than the wheels.

zPZTqGA.jpg

Where from?