What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Hi Guys

Did the " How To: DRL Fog lights on a 986" today. A bit of mucking about but well worth doing. People expect to see them these days. Cars are starting to look like Xmas trees.

I had previously done the same mod on my 993, but on that car it is lot easier because it is a matter of wiring a different relay in and using a jumper. 

All the best

Berni

FIxed the key fob. Got two keys with the car on Sunday, neither worked to unlock or lock the car.

I discovered one fob when pressed actualy lit the red LED, but only one button worked. I took it apart and one of the switch things fell out. I took the battery out and tried it in the other fob, both buttons work but the LED doesn't do anything. 

I bent up the battery contacts slightly  inside the holder and got the LED to stay dimly lit, but did nothing when buttons pressed. 

Further manipulation of the contacts and suddenly the LED blinks when both buttons pressed.  

I'm assuming its been non working for a long time but I'm aware the car had been garaged for 8 years or so and maybe hadn't been locked/unlocked hardly Went out to it, pressed both buttons and it suddenly unlocked and locked, flashing the indicators each time.

Amazing!!!

10 hours ago, Knobgoblin said:

FIxed the key fob. Got two keys with the car on Sunday, neither worked to unlock or lock the car.

I discovered one fob when pressed actualy lit the red LED, but only one button worked. I took it apart and one of the switch things fell out. I took the battery out and tried it in the other fob, both buttons work but the LED doesn't do anything. 

I bent up the battery contacts slightly  inside the holder and got the LED to stay dimly lit, but did nothing when buttons pressed. 

Further manipulation of the contacts and suddenly the LED blinks when both buttons pressed.  

I'm assuming its been non working for a long time but I'm aware the car had been garaged for 8 years or so and maybe hadn't been locked/unlocked hardly Went out to it, pressed both buttons and it suddenly unlocked and locked, flashing the indicators each time.

Amazing!!!

Good to hear of another free fix!

• Like 1

Hi

You are so lucky, my fob flashes happily but will not activate the car. I wonder if it is even for the right car. It could just be "worn out". They only have a finite life in terms of the code system apparently, and can also get irrevocably out of sync.

Berni 

• Like 1

Sorted the switch for manualy operating the spoiler. It had been pushed into the back of the fuse holder thing. Removed the trim and a few screws, figured out how it should fit and refitted. Now its accessible as it should be. Also confirmed the spoiler works manually which was good, as i thought it was dead. The plug wasn't pushed onto the back of the switch properly. 

The lock button next to the AC unit on the dash was also pushed in. Sorted that also, no red light on. After sorting the fob and the switch, the car now locks and unlocks, flashing the indicators. I also noted a red flashing light on the top of the dash now works once its locked. The 2nd button on the fob also opens the boot, I was not aware of this till tonite😄

• Like 1

I collected my Sport design 2 wheels from Pro Alloys in Melksham. I finally sucked it up and paid for a refurbish. These wheels are notorious for corrosion on the diamond cut lips and 2 pc design. The water creeps under the lips and corrodes. I have bought several, slightly better sets where the lip has been painted and then not fitted them and sold them as I don't like the non standard finish. 

Finally, I have gone for a light anthracite finish on the centres and to try and keep in line with the lighter diamond cut outer lip, I went for a silver painted outer lip. I hope that it suits the Viola metallic of the car and even had the centre caps painted to match.

Pictures as soon as I can find time to fit.

• Like 1

Took my 856 to D&G South Shields to find a coolant leak (found to be a corroded hose clip - replaced at no cost). and juddering brakes. They gave me a courtesy car, a Citroen C1! What fun it was on my 100 mile trip back home. It was great finding the max torque/power band when overtaking - quite a skill. The next day on way back it even went around corners after I had pumped up the tyres. I had asked them to do a complete coolant change as I had no idea when the last one was done and I had been topping up with water for a few week. They put brake judder down to corroded front discs on the inside, but didn't push me to have them exchanged - I can deal with that at my leisure! They were prepared to stay behind if I got delayed, and even come back on Saturday morning if necessary. Very friendly and even the workshop loo was immaculate!🤣

No charge for 200 miles on courtesy car, no need to 'top up'. No pushing to get anything 'extra' done and a very reasonable bill at the end. If I need any 'Porsche' work I know where I will be going!

Recommended!👍

Road tested the car after a couple of weeks off the road.  Noticed a sweet smell a few weeks ago after a day out.  Sure enough, a quick check showed a coolant leak around the offside radiator.

Pic 1

During investigation, I also realised the fan wasn't working on low speed either.  So, off with the old, possibly original rad (I replaced the nearside one 7 years ago).  Lots of debris between the radiator and condensor, so cleared out the other side too while the bumper was off.

Pic 2

Replacement bought from coolpartsuk.  The last one I bought from them was Behr (OE), however, this latest one is chinese.  Seems ok, fit well and comes with 5 yr warranty so fingers crossed.  Old radiator was a right pain to get out.  It took me ages to release the hoses, but all went back in easily enough.

New home made ballast resistor bought and fitted (see Have you seen the price of ballast resistors thread)

While I had the wheel arch liner out, I decided to take a look at my fuel filler lock actuator too.  Ever since I've owned the car, its made an embarrassing grinding noise when locking.  The actuator is a bit tricky to get at.  You have to remove the carbon filter (the black box at rear of offside front wheel) by undoing the 10mm nut.  I was able to just move the filter out of the way.

Pic 3

The actuator itself is above and behind the filter and there is little room.  You almost have to work by feel.  There are two torx bolts to loosen - I had to buy a small hex ratchet spanner to hold the bit.  The bolts just need loosening.  There is a small electric connection to disconnect and slip off the manual cable release from the plastic locking arm.  The actuator should lift up out of its cradle.

Pic 4

Manually motoring the arm, it still made a noise.  Its a sealed unit, so I took some time to split it open to have a look:

Pic 5

The white plastic cog had some missing teeth

Pic 6

New OE part bought from driven2automotive for the pretty reasonable price of £36.

Fitting was again tricky, and mostly by feel, but working beautifully now.

Many thanks to Paul Adamson on the Facebook Boxster 986 Owners group who inspired me to try!

So, three jobs done.  A great afternoon to test drive and all seems to be working well.  Phew

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

Drove from Cullen to Edinburgh, the last leg of a 600 mile trip this week. This is the longest trip I have done in my car, and I am very happy with the way it behaved. I had the suspension aligned the week before last (needed a few parts replaces as the bolts had seized up) and new front tyres fitted, and this was the first trip I have really been able to appreciate the slot car handling. I've had it  just over a year but most of that was winter and lock down, so not really done many long drives. I got just over 30mpg on from the first tankful - we went up north via the A9, Braemar and Tomintoul, so a mix of roads. Probably had the top down for 550 of those miles too. Which was nice...

26 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Painted my other wing mirror. Did a better job than the first one. My experience showing :)

Berni

How do the wing mirror covers come off?

Hi

Mirror covers come off as follows.......

Position mirror so its as far out as possible on the outside edge. Get fingers under and prise it off. It will unclip, but be careful. The more fingers the better. Then there will be three small T10 screws visible. Undo these and the cover is loose. Also pull off the mirror heating wires. The cover is a tight wiggle to get off, if you move the mirror mounting disc around as required it will come off (and go back on). Much easier than removing the whole wing mirror. 

The actual wing mirror chassis is aluminium and it will be powdery from corrosion. I brushed it off with a small brass wire brush, then sprayed it with Dinitrol to keep future corrosion at bay.

Best of luck

Berni

Edited by Berni29

Cleaned the engine bay, it was filthy, after figuring out how to put the roof in the service position. Found one of the wires that holds the roof down broken so need another.

My 'non working roof, we have removed the motor' turns out to be 'we removed the passenger side mechanism but didn't leave it in the car, nor the clamshell strut and other fittings' so looking for this also.

Fiixed the driver's seat, by taking it out the car. The back rest worked electrically but the other switch did nothing. I discovered there is some sort of lifter under the seat and you work the lever to lower the seat or make it higher. It was all stuck. Working the cable got it moving so cleaned the seat and hoovered out the carpet, under the seat I found 10p and a Roy Orbison CD. Bonus!

The drivers side air vent was not working, the slats had all come loose inside it. Figured out how to remove light switch and removed the panel. Bit fiddly to get all the slats lined up but managed it in the end. Now works perfect and can direct the air properly.

Found the roof motor cover jammed down in the roof gubbins, cleaned and refitted. Cleaned all the area under the clamshell and round the roof. Think I've found hardtop fittings fitted. Need to confirm this, as I'm planning on purchasing a hardtop in the future.

Took all the boot trim out and left in the sun as the coolant had been spitting out the cap and some of it was damp. Cleaned out the boot area. Cleaned the expansion tank, it looks brand new, confirming my suspicion its the cap thats failed.

In all, a good days work!

Service mode

Edited by Knobgoblin
syntax
  • Like 1