What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

new front brakes and discs going on today - gone for serious pads, Pagid RS44. hopefully last longer than standard brembos did, fingers crossed. they werent cheap!

Also having a new wheel arch liner attached, to replace the one i ripped out!

Stripped down and cleaned up the old springs & dampers

Built up the new front springs & dampers reusing top mounts, bump stops (new last year).

Got the new front struts into the car, drop links slotted in.

Next job is to bolt everything up, pop the brakes back on, and get it back on its wheels. Very exciting!

• Like 4

Worked on little 986s (yes I have two of them ) Now they are both working, they are more than 20 years old. Changed front parking lights. Cleaned seats, door cards and applied balm later, polished the part of the exhaust box. Attended Gaydon Gathering yesterday.

IlD8pU0.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

what colour is that? that blue is gorgeous, didnt know any 986s were in that shade of blue 🥰

It was a 'special metallic' at the time, so a very expensive option.  A few years later Cobalt was moved to the common metallic palate and Lapis was moved to the 'special metallic' price list.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, brillomaster said:

what colour is that? that blue is gorgeous, didnt know any 986s were in that shade of blue 🥰

Thanks, as mentioned above :)

18 hours ago, Araf said:

It was a 'special metallic' at the time, so a very expensive option.  A few years later Cobalt was moved to the common metallic palate and Lapis was moved to the 'special metallic' price list.

Oh, I didn't know, thanks, good information!

Finished fitting the new suspenders; dropped into Revolution to get the wheels pointing in the right direction.

Old top mounts weren’t in bad shape, but did have cracking.

The original springs weren’t in bad shape but did have some corrosions.

Dampers front and rear were still quite firm; not like some I’ve come across with no pressure whatsoever.

Based upon a short run through town, the ride doesn’t seem noticeably worse than before, and there did appear to be fewer noises.

Edited by RalphyBMW
  • Like 2

If there are any knocks or rattles still it could well be any bits you still haven't changed.  Sounds good so far, an nice bit if undulating bumpy B road will be the acid test for the dampers.  Hope it feels good.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If there are any knocks or rattles still it could well be any bits you still haven't changed.  Sounds good so far, an nice bit if undulating bumpy B road will be the acid test for the dampers.  Hope it feels good.

Fingers crossed!

I think I’ve now replaced pretty much everything suspension wise since March last year.

10 arms, 4 drop links, 4 top mounts, 4 bump stops, 4 ARB bushes, 4 springs, 4 dampers.

Hopefully anything still making a noise will be limited to the hood, and interior trim…

In other news, new exhaust to fit next week, very exciting!

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Fingers crossed!

I think I’ve now replaced pretty much everything suspension wise since March last year.

10 arms, 4 drop links, 4 top mounts, 4 bump stops, 4 ARB bushes, 4 springs, 4 dampers.

Hopefully anything still making a noise will be limited to the hood, and interior trim…

In other news, new exhaust to fit next week, very exciting!

Yep, that's the full set!  Good work, now go and enjoy. Just beware that you'll find yourself going that little bit faster as you trust the handling more and more, if my experience was anything to go by.

• Haha 1

Finally got around to replacing the heating ducts and trim after fitting the new clutch servo spring which took far longer than fitting the spring itself but glad to have it back in one piece for now at least

Checked ULEZ status hasn't changed with TfL, exempt status still in place.  Ready for taking advantage of this for the first time tomorrow going up to London for Coldplay at Wembley.  Ironically the wife's nice economical diesel Golf cabrio is non-compliant as it is only Euro 5, so we have to take the 986... Shame!  😁 :bana:

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After getting the car geo’d, it was driving like new; all the effort felt worth it.

Got it back, refitted the front undertray and then bolted in a front strut brace; should compliment the rear Bally bar.

Tight fit behind the battery, and under the covers, but it’s all back together. Need to actually use it now to see if this has tightened up the scuttle over the terrible local roads.

Edited by RalphyBMW
  • Like 1

Took the wife for a drive to the garden centre in it today.

This may sound insignificant, but it isnt. Its the first time she has voluntarily travelled in it since I got it 18 months ago.

The only other time was when she was taken into hospital last year with suspected Buttercup, and was released that evening.

I was at work with the Boxster and had to pop out to pick her up and take her home , so she didnt have much choice.

When we travel in the other car in hot weather she always wants the windows open rather than  A/C on, so today I suggested it would be nice to take the Boxster with the roof down,she agreed straight away, much to my surprise.

Previous response was always "its your mid life crisis, dont involve me in it". 😂

Now weve done it once...........😜

• Like 1