What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Today - nothing more than a tank of V Power and a wash.

Both are significant though as we’ve done just under 1,500 miles since Sunday; went up and did the NC500, quite spectacular and great fun.

The Boxster behaved absolutely faultlessly, other than some trim rattles on coarse surfaces, but I can’t hold that against her. New suspension along with a very well executed geo by Revolution and she was was awesome.

Perfect size for those roads too. I don’t think there’s anything I’d have rather been in; certainly nothing wider, or with a fixed roof.

• Like 3

Progressed a single DIN CarPlay install. It isn’t the Porsche headunit so I’m going to hang fire on sharing too much more until I’ve got some seat time with it. Initial impressions are favourable.

As part of my assessment of the progress made I went out for a pootle - I’d forgotten just how rowdy the car is having only commuted across Hull in it over the last couple of weeks.

It really is boisterous - and great fun - so much overtaking punch which makes Sunday afternoon pottering a pleasure.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, map said:

Progressed a single DIN CarPlay install. It isn’t the Porsche headunit so I’m going to hang fire on sharing too much more until I’ve got some seat time with it. Initial impressions are favourable.

As part of my assessment of the progress made I went out for a pootle - I’d forgotten just how rowdy the car is having only commuted across Hull in it over the last couple of weeks.

It really is boisterous - and great fun - so much overtaking punch which makes Sunday afternoon pottering a pleasure.

You should drive it with others one day 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:30 PM, RalphyBMW said:

Today - nothing more than a tank of V Power and a wash.

Both are significant though as we’ve done just under 1,500 miles since Sunday; went up and did the NC500, quite spectacular and great fun.

The Boxster behaved absolutely faultlessly, other than some trim rattles on coarse surfaces, but I can’t hold that against her. New suspension along with a very well executed geo by Revolution and she was was awesome.

Perfect size for those roads too. I don’t think there’s anything I’d have rather been in; certainly nothing wider, or with a fixed roof.

Bing short when breasting a hill top sometimes I'm not sure which way the road goes!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cybot7 said:

Took my car to Trooper88 for a suspension update with Koni Active shocks. Yet to pick it up as some of the previous work done was somewhat dubious and took longer than first thought. 

You won't regret it, but it will feel very different to start with, and quiet with no rattles and knocks assuming all your suspension arms and links have been checked and replaced as required too.

4 hours ago, Cybot7 said:

As I’ve yet to master the complex mysteries of uploading pics here , I’ve copied the link to my Facebook page about the upgrade Trooper88 has done. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/986uk/permalink/1498293040681890/

Try this: 

SORN more than a month now:(  Due to too much DIY tasks for a new family member! I will do last wash hopefully tomorrow. Today I bought 4 stalk column switch to add Cruise Control finally(I hope that somehow with PIWIS), and also ordered a steering wheel spacer to get steering wheel closer to me. I will have to buy airbag deactivation bar or DIY for baby seat, I am open for any suggestions, looks like OPC is selling it for £580 or so.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, femreg said:

SORN more than a month now:(  Due to too much DIY tasks for a new family member! I will do last wash hopefully tomorrow. Today I bought 4 stalk column switch to add Cruise Control finally(I hope that somehow with PIWIS), and also ordered a steering wheel spacer to get steering wheel closer to me. I will have to buy airbag deactivation bar or DIY for baby seat, I am open for any suggestions, looks like OPC is selling it for £580 or so.

My local indy switched mine on in about 5 minutes.

Have a read of this from the How To section, if you haven't already.

and this:

Porsche Boxster Cruise Control Installation - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

• Like 1

9 hours ago, femreg said:

On the deactivation bar keep an eye on ebay as they come up quite often. I picked one up a few weeks ago for £40 as I have a little one coming along in 9 weeks.

LaRose in Sevenoaks have quoted £54 plus VAT to program the occupancy for child seat. You can modify a VAG buckle to fit the bar to use a non-Porsche child seat 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 986T8 said:

Got the car ready for the first track day of the season, next weekend. Changes are better tires, worse brake pads and a 997 oil cooler. 

Thinking about moving up a run group.1B93C5DB-55ED-4E48-A38E-0D6E7CC89FF4.thumb.jpeg.767248dc99934d0b5b7e56818771e3b3.jpeg

Worse brake pads?

Whats the story with the 997 oil cooler?

19 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Worse brake pads?

Whats the story with the 997 oil cooler?

I got a great deal on used Porterfields last year but used them up. Back to the cheap stuff.

The 997 part is 48mm taller and fits. Unfortunately I don’t have oil temp data with the stock cooler but guessing this will be much better.

Part number 997 107 025 00

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Baldrick said:

On the deactivation bar keep an eye on ebay as they come up quite often. I picked one up a few weeks ago for £40 as I have a little one coming along in 9 weeks.

LaRose in Sevenoaks have quoted £54 plus VAT to program the occupancy for child seat. You can modify a VAG buckle to fit the bar to use a non-Porsche child seat 👍

Thanks, I found one on ebay for £50 !

On 10/1/2022 at 8:48 AM, ½cwt said:

My local indy switched mine on in about 5 minutes.

Have a read of this from the How To section, if you haven't already.

and this:

Porsche Boxster Cruise Control Installation - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Thanks Chris, I know that it is a lot of work, checked Pelican parts before but our how to section seems much better! I hope that it will increase the usage of the car, last time I did NC500, it was a bit painful on motorways because almost constant pedal position.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, femreg said:

Thanks Chris, I know that it is a lot of work, checked Pelican parts before but our how to section seems much better! I hope that it will increase the usage of the car, last time I did NC500, it was a bit painful on motorways because almost constant pedal position.

I reckoned I took 40 hours planning to do what was about 4 hours work.  I also took out an old tracker system whilst I was at it so spent longer on it on the day.  A garage with space around the car or a fine day are essential.  I hope the How To and what I added might make it more 4 hours planning and 3 hours work!  You can get it activated before you do the work I believe; it is just an on/off setting in the DME.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, femreg said:

Have you got the loom from MDB Diagnostics?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, femreg said:

Not yet, my brother told me to check them, thanks for reminding.

Loom for the cruise?  Built it myself, 3 coloured wires plus black for 12v.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Have you got the loom from MDB Diagnostics?

I bought this loom from MDB Diagnostic it was not very expensive and the different wires of the loom had a tag on them telling you which wire went where. I found it made the wiring of the cruise control very straightforward 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi 

Talking about CC, this weekend my brother installed a 4 stalk in his 996.2 along with the loom extension, and a 3 stalk (his old one) in my 986.2 (also with correct cable) to enable the OBC, and using our new Durametric professional we are ending up with the "did not receive the correct number of bytes from the control module" on both cars. It must be a software issue, but have drawn blanks so far. Both .NET and the Durametric are on latest versions.......

Many thanks for any suggestions.....

Berni

• Like 1