What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Got confirmation of ulez/Caz exemption - yay!

Alarm went off this morning due to flat battery.... Boo!

Worked out that as mine has the physical frunk opening catch rather than the electrical one you can undo 3 Allen bolts and lift up the housing and bypass the lock, allowing you to open the frunk/bonnet.l, which saves faffing around fishing out the cable release in the wheel arch.

Separated the tranny from engine and took off the clutch & flywheel.

The IMS cover had made a mess there. The double row IMSB and clutch was changed approximately 100.000km ago by indy shop. Looks like RMS has been holding oil in the engine well:

T8MQTOX.jpg

To my surprice it looks like during last clutch change the double mass flywheel was sanded at least a bit. This time I'll be installing a new flywheel, clutch pressureplate etc goodies.

T0VjArT.jpg

Durign Christmas holidays I'm plannig to clean the tranny and engine before the maintenance work.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, danb said:

Alarm went off this morning due to flat battery.... Boo!

Snap

Mine has a lightweight low capacity LiPo battery so this is to be expected really. I might disconnect the siren to prevent anymore opportunities to annoy my neighbours.

9 minutes ago, ATM said:

Snap

Mine has a lightweight low capacity LiPo battery so this is to be expected really. I might disconnect the siren to prevent anymore opportunities to annoy my neighbours.

Yeah, I have since purchased a ctek trickle charger.....

Got myself a set of the below on the way. I have been thinking of putting some mesh in the rear drains for a while now but  haven't gotten around to it yet. Mostly because I now have a hardtop on it for the winter. Ran across these on eBay and for the price I thought what the heck.

Drain Hole Guard Cover Strainer For Porsche Boxster 986/987 2 Pcs (1 Pair) | eBay

11 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Got myself a set of the below on the way. I have been thinking of putting some mesh in the rear drains for a while now but  haven't gotten around to it yet. Mostly because I now have a hardtop on it for the winter. Ran across these on eBay and for the price I thought what the heck.

Drain Hole Guard Cover Strainer For Porsche Boxster 986/987 2 Pcs (1 Pair) | eBay

Interesting to see how you get on.

Those were discussed on here a little while ago.  To me they look like they will cause more blockage than they cure by making the holes smaller and therefore more likely to clog 

The Porsche equivalent ones are more basket like and sit over the holes not unlike the bird guards on chimneys. Bigger surface so leads likely for leaves etc to completely cover the holes  think they are about 20 for a pair

i guess both options would  stop stuff like acorns and general stuff from going down the holes so giving a better chance of being cleared when the drains are checked.  

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Interesting to see how you get on.

Those were discussed on here a little while ago.  To me they look like they will cause more blockage than they cure by making the holes smaller and therefore more likely to clog 

The Porsche equivalent ones are more basket like and sit over the holes not unlike the bird guards on chimneys. Bigger surface so leads likely for leaves etc to completely cover the holes  think they are about 20 for a pair

i guess both options would  stop stuff like acorns and general stuff from going down the holes so giving a better chance of being cleared when the drains are checked.  

I guess I'm because where lucky where my car stands it doesn't get much in the way of leaves (lots of rain though). I'll install it in the summer and keep an eye on it. If it clogs too easily it will end up in the parts bin!

Changed a blown side light lamp.

Headlight didn't want to come out. Problem being the Frunk release cable was caught up.

Well i have not seen that before, but knew it was somewhere about.

Wondered how the F#@# do you pull that by taking the wheel liner out. I would have to get a small child to poke there arm up there. Then get arrested for child abuse! 🤣👍

4 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Today spent part of the day with my son at the garage doing last wrenching for the 2022 on the Boxster.

Rebuilt driveshafts, cleaned the engine and rebuilt the engine mount with PowerFlext yellow inserts.

TAYbYPp.jpg

3yjMZrx.jpg

XWgTGFW.jpg

XA7UTqj.jpg

Good job you had plenty of rubber gloves!  😃

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Removed the drivers door card to investigate why the window isnt going up or down.

Found the cable had snapped. Presumably a complete regulator unit then ?

I picked up a salvage Porsche one three years ago which is still going strong and was clearly in far better condition than the one that failed.  It was less than 30% of the price of a new Porsche one so I figured I could risk 3 salvage, but inspected ones (from Steve Strange/Douglas Valley Breakers), and for either side before I'd covered anywhere close to the cost of just one.

What you will need is new door card clips, they tend commit suicide as you take the card off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It was less than 30% of the price of a new Porsche one

I find myself in a similar position to @Bradders59, cable not broken just a grinding sound, came on after the recent cold weather so I suspect some piece of plastic has given up. Are the cheap window regulators £69 on ebay, not worth using ? All feedback greatly received.

It needs to be a 986 not a 996 version so the stop positions for the window drop are correct (the coupe 911 doesn't need this feature) the basic regulator is the same, just and additional stop ned to be fitted.  People have reported issues with the eBay specials.

Grinding could be grit in the guides, worth opening it up and giving it a good clean and lube.

• Like 1

On window regulators - my passenger door glass rattles when opening and closing the door.

I’ve been into the door and made sure nothing was loose; the window works perfectly.

Does this sound like a regulator issue? That’s the only thing that holds the glass, right?

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

On window regulators - my passenger door glass rattles when opening and closing the door.

I’ve been into the door and made sure nothing was loose; the window works perfectly.

Does this sound like a regulator issue? That’s the only thing that holds the glass, right?

There are 2 metal holders the window sits in, sounds like they have not been tightened up properly... door panel off to get to the holders

• Like 1

Took SWMBO out in the Boxster for a brunch meet up with other Porsche pals, and had the most alarming black ice moment @ about 50 mph, all 4 wheels drifting, this was on a straight road as well, certainly focussed my attention!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Toddie said:

@Menoporschethat makes 2 of us 😳just need to get the drivers seat valeted next!

After you have got it “extracted”.  

i learned years ago on bikes the power of steering with your buttocks.  Had to get a gpz900 surgicaly removed once.  

Whilst ice like that is “roll the dice” you clearly didn’t do anything wrong so well done.  

Edited by Paul P