What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Scratches gone - looks liek a good job!

I read your original post as you 'polished out' the person who scratched your bumper. I would have done the same.

I think my exuberant driving on Sunday may have taken its toll on the Boxster ☹️ she's let go on the OSF spring ☹️☹️ just glad ECP have 57% off this weekend ?
I'll replace both springs at the front and H&R's are on their way from ECP as I type - just £90 for the pair delivered!
She's only got 33k miles on the clock and the shocks seem in good nick so I'l leave them on for now. Top mounts may need inspecting when they're off the car and a decision made whether they'r serviceable but I'd be grateful of some pointers on how easy/ hard it is to install new springs on a 1998 Boxster?

Broken 986.jpg

Broken 986a.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonnoshore said:

Sorted out the dash speakers with "upgrades"... Some pictures to follow.  

I installed these speakers... https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TxHrt3P0K5e/p_136C2400X/JL-Audio-C2-400X.html 

Did the speaker upgrade recently (although my speakers were a lot cheaper) - huge change in sounds quality and easy to do.

Heading home to Ireland in Bertie, I am going to try and get some serious driving around Connemara and Clare if possible while I am home.

Ordered the speakers to upgrade the sound and Jims kit to get rid of the slop on gearlever, tempted by the diffuser but not gonna bite but now looking at those Raid steering wheels. Will you guys stop showing me stuff!!

6 hours ago, drumsterphil said:

Did the speaker upgrade recently (although my speakers were a lot cheaper) - huge change in sounds quality and easy to do.

Here is the better one .. neater hot glue gunned.. soldered using old speaker basket to use connector and avoid messing with car loom.

IMAG3697_1.jpg

On 26/04/2017 at 8:53 PM, Kooky 1976 said:

I did that a couple of weeks ago. Look smashing. From Poland?

Spot on, They're the ones  !!!

Started the dismantle on the OSF upright on the Boxster but the wheel seems welded to the hub - no amount of blows with a rubber mallet would shift it - so plan B, we'll do it with the wheel on then!

Began with undoing the top nut - crows foot wouldn't fit in the gap so used a 21mm spanner and 7mm hex - it started to undo OK after an overnight soak in WD40 but the spanner just didn't have enough purchase on the nut for last few turns. 

B684CA33-3955-4ACB-B0DF-0571D531B45A_zps

69F84424-6EB5-4750-8DF5-BEC7241DC6C4_zps

Plan C. undo the top mount from the car and compress the strut to get better access for spanner and hex but needed the spring out of the way first - hacksawed through the broken spring to get the spring out of the way and hey presto, compress the strut tied it down with rope and it came off a treat!

FA3D3BE1-A365-4C40-BF31-0DC7E408BF1A_zps

EE5FF699-650C-4C0A-B6CE-477E21468865_zps

F333DEC1-BF97-4985-8020-F1B786E20215_zps

Top mount rubber looks in very good order, only a bit of surface corrosion on the top mount itself. 

E7579337-DD5B-4EF7-AB23-C0F069ADF657_zps

Top bearing also really smooth so dismantled all this and cleaned it all up. Top mount is currently in rust remover ready for a paint job.

9C0D3F77-B6FC-4EC8-99B8-62C97B422A4E_zps

C6BF359B-848F-4545-8DCC-D40A1078CFC1_zps

New H&R springs arrived this afternoon and they look superb!! Cant wait to get these babies on the car ? Just the new bump stops to arrive now ?

46ED80E6-B215-4A91-AE9F-5A4B08A8EB9A_zps

Donington calls this weekend so it’ll be Monday before I get much more done…

Drove it from Newcastle upon Tyne to Lochcarron, Ross-shire. Saw three Boxsters on the way and got two waves. The non wavers were in a speed  yellow 981 Spyder in Fort William with the hood down in drizzle. May have been being cool rather than having fun ?

11 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Drove it from Newcastle upon Tyne to Lochcarron, Ross-shire. Saw three Boxsters on the way and got two waves. The non wavers were in a speed  yellow 981 Spyder in Fort William with the hood down in drizzle. May have been being cool rather than having fun ?

Did the 981 come in Speed Yellow? :huh:  I thought it was Racing Yellow. :unsure: 

56 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I bow to your knowledge sir, not heard of racing yellow, looked very much like speed yellow though. :(

He's right (of course :)). Racing yellow is a bit brighter/lighter, a bit more canary-yellow, whereas Speed yellow is more like egg yolk - see the 10th photo on this page: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/673076-opinions-of-those-who-ve-seen-racing-yellow-in-the-flesh-2.html

The Spyder in the foreground is Speed Yellow, the 911 behind is Racing Yellow. Personally, I prefer Speed Yellow, but then I'm not exactly unbiased.

Enjoy your trip Bob, sounds like it should be good. I would have waved to you :bye:

Thanks Jon, I thought just that, now @Jon61 he would have waved fron his old yellow Boxster. Off to Uĺlapool tomorrow via Applecross and a few other remote spots. Its been a beautiful evening here.

Yes your spot on about the racing yellow, now you mention it -  it  was a more a intense  colour. As if it had been given a saturation boost !

• Like 2

Drove it from Lochcarron to Ullapool via Applecross and the A832. The west coast does not disapoint in anyway. Took a big hit on the windscreen fron a something thrown up by an on coming  truck. Might need a new screen.  I am glad it did not hit me though - roof down at the time.